Summer Trip Report

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Summer Trip Report

Post by fartymarty » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi, remember me?
Don't get your hopes up, this isn't going to be on par with some of the trip reports of Stiple or fixervi6. Just photo links and a few notes so you know that despite my advancing years and non-appearance at recent club events that: 1) I'm still alive 2) I still ride and 3) I still think about you all.

My riding buddy Butch (he's 77 and makes me feel faster than I am) and I headed off to the Concours Owners Group National rally held this year in Williamsport PA. I've said repeatedly that I wasn't going to ride east of the Mississippi anymore as I just prefer the west. However Butch said he really wanted to see New England so I said OK, if he agreed to make or at least attempt a ride with me to Alaska next year. We headed east to Jackson MS so we could ride the Natchez Trace the next day. I can't believe it was my idea because the speed limit is only 50 at best. However it wasn't that bad, I set the cruise control on 55 and just relaxed. Didn't see any LE until near the very end where the limit dropped to 45. It was a bit of a shock though after being lulled into a tranquil relaxing mental state to be dumped out into Nashville's afternoon rush hour traffic, but we survived and found our hotel for the night north of town. We continued on taking a total of four days to get to Williamsport as it was hot and I didn't have room for my Veskimo and cooler because of a large dry bag filled with clothes was where the cooler usually goes. We stopped at the Flight 93 Memorial and I was fighting a slow leak in my rear tire that was getting less slow each day. After two unsuccessful plug attempts, I purchased a new tire in Williamsport and then went to see some of the sights in the area including the Eagles Mere Auto/Aircraft/Motorcycle Museum. After the rally we continued on through New England where we found it to be filled with people, bad pavement, slow speed limits, and high humidity, at least until we got to Maine where it improved a lot. Acadia N.P. was beautiful and refreshing from the cool ocean breezes. We opted for the free buses rather than ride the park and fight the four wheeled tourons. I found out that I don't like Lobster rolls. I like Lobster but it's got to be at least warm and dipped in melted butter. Cold and rubbery mixed with mayo isn't for me. Perfectly good lobster meat ruined in my opinion. We then headed for Quebec where we thought we might see just a little English..but no. I love Canada, but not that other country up there that begins with a "Q". No place to park, rude people and just too much french for me. I tried Poutine while we were there, it's OK, I wouldn't ever go hunting it down though. We quickly left and immediately felt at ease in Ontario. We continued on to Niagra Falls ON; AMA museum in Pickerington OH;, Mammoth Cave KY; and Branson MO; on our way home. Stopping at each place a day to escape the highway heat.

Marty's: https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/2019-COG ... /n-KBXzJB/

Butch's: https://butchyoungblood.smugmug.com/201 ... /n-4vgkvV/

COG's: https://edpalmer.smugmug.com/COG/COG-National-2019.... Yep filled with old folks just like Butch and I. I won a ECU Flash from Ivan's performance! ($350) Cool! :cool:

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: Summer Trip Report

Post by dufremle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Cool. Rick, Jeff and I made a trip to Big Bend National Park and t totaled the GS on the way back. At least the Park was fun.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:46 am

I've considered a route up north east but so much meh between here and where it's pretty, what cave was that?
K1600

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:51 am

fixxervi6 wrote:I've considered a route up north east but so much meh between here and where it's pretty, what cave was that?
I don't know about that. Between here and Arkansas, sure not much but that's short. AR has some good stuff. Then run across northern MS and AL to Huntsville and see the space center. Then you have Tail of the Dragon, pigeon Forge, etc... Then up through the smokey mountains, which are awesome. On to PA where they have some decent roads and the oldest continuously operating brewery in the US. Then pick your adventure in New England, or even up into Canada. We've done most of New England in a car and except for the big cities I kept thinking how great it would be on a bike.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:18 pm

JeffStrom wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:I've considered a route up north east but so much meh between here and where it's pretty, what cave was that?
I don't know about that. Between here and Arkansas, sure not much but that's short. AR has some good stuff. Then run across northern MS and AL to Huntsville and see the space center. Then you have Tail of the Dragon, pigeon Forge, etc... Then up through the smokey mountains, which are awesome. On to PA where they have some decent roads and the oldest continuously operating brewery in the US. Then pick your adventure in New England, or even up into Canada. We've done most of New England in a car and except for the big cities I kept thinking how great it would be on a bike.
Sounds like someone should plan that...
K1600

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:39 pm

Mammoth Cave Ky. A huge cave but not as cool as Carlsbad Caverns.(figuratively, literally it's cooler by 2 degrees Fahrenheit)
The differences between the two are quite noticeable, so to someone interested in geology it may be worth the trip. However to the average person,
I think that they would find Carlsbad Caverns to be more interesting than Mammoth Cave. YOMV

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:59 pm

And I forgot to mention Dollywood.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA