Set the beads on a tire in the field

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Set the beads on a tire in the field

Post by JeffStrom » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:43 am

I witnessed a method of setting the beads on a tire I had not seen before. Getting the bead set with a hand pump can be a lot of effort and may require strapping the circumference of the tire.

I saw a man set the beads using a flammable spray cleaner. He sprayed it into the tire and then lit it and it set the beads almost instantly. I wish I had recorded it. I won't be trying this at home but if I had to take a tire off to do an internal patch in the field it might be worth trying, especially since if I have to do an internal patch the tire will get replaced when I get back anyway.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Set the beads on a tire in the field

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:55 am

tons of videos all over youtube, I used to watch red-neck mudders back in the day do this all the time when they popped a bied on their rusted out chevy's. Starter fluid is popular.

K1600

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: Set the beads on a tire in the field

Post by dufremle » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:47 pm

I've done it a couple of times setting beads on wide tractor tires. It works, but you need to be careful. I would only do it as a last resort.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner