R6 replaced by R7

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

R6 replaced by R7

Post by JeffStrom » Tue May 18, 2021 7:27 pm

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/rworld-yzf-r7

We knew the R6 was going away, now we know what the replacement is. Engine is based on the parallel twin from the MT07 with a 270 degree firing order.

Looks like a much more street focus with a more well rounded power curve and a more comfortable seated position. And a couple thousand cheaper it would seem.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: R6 replaced by R7

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:24 pm

Ape has the 660 now, something I think that's been needed for a long time, streetable power without having to go into insane liter bike ranges.
K1600

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Re: R6 replaced by R7

Post by JeffStrom » Wed May 19, 2021 9:01 am

fixxervi6 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:24 pm Ape has the 660 now, something I think that's been needed for a long time, streetable power without having to go into insane liter bike ranges.
Right, and I think the R7 is a response, not to the RS-660 specifically, but to the same market pressures that drove Aprilia to make the RS-660. But also, Yamaha had already done the engineering to make the MT-07 Euro-5 and has committed to Euro-6 with it. This direction lets them leverage that investment instead of doing another roll of the R6 engine, which probably makes financial sense. And while a lot of us really like what the R6 did on the track, and the innovation it brought to the 600 segment, it was, for me, the least comfortable of the 600 class sport bikes. There is no denying the popularity of the mid size naked class, and while the MT-07 is pretty popular, it suffers from cheap suspension and brakes. This won't have the R6 class suspension, but will be an improvement over the MT-07 with a fully adjustable inverted fork (but no compression adjustment on the shock), better brakes, and is likely good enough for any "reasonable" street use (so not you Matt). It also has a rake that is actually slightly steeper than the even the R6 with the correspondingly slightly shorter trail. So maybe more nimble but less stable? MSRP is about $3K less than the outgoing R6 and $1.3K higher than the current MT.

I'd say experienced street riders looking for fun on the back roads are better off with the MT-09 for a couple hundred more. But if you really crave the look and seating position of a supersport, this seems like a practical alternative. This would also appear to be a sportier option than the Ninja 650, which has a regular handlebar, standard fork, and floating calipers, but is also about $1K cheaper. The CBR650R (+$700) is probably closer in specs.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA