MSRC 1.7 state of the track

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

MSRC 1.7 state of the track

Post by JeffStrom » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:00 am

https://youtu.be/R3kA3gKfE24

I uploaded a video of a casual lap to show the state of the track as of July of this year. You will notice significant patching in most of the corners. Right after ricochet and just before entry into rattlesnake, you will notice the pavement changes color. This is because they had to shave down the asphalt to smooth out the big bumps over where they did the drainage work. Didn't eliminate them, but improved them a lot.

If you recall, last February or March MSR completely repaved the 1.7 mile track. After they paved, it was not more than a month and it was apparent that things did not go as well as they had expected. There was spalling of the surface in several of the corners. Anyway, talked to Jeff over there and apparently, even when they paved, they knew it wasn't going well. They did not achieve the density of material they were targeting. Apparently the recipe they used was not compatible with the colder weather and there were some other issues, like some bumps in the track where they had done some drainage work, and, well, the drainage work wasn't as good as they wanted.

Fast forward. Over the last two weeks, they ripped all that asphalt back out and repaved it again. In theory they are going to open the track back up this weekend. Last time they said there was no need for an extended curing time. This time they are apparently saying that again. We will see how it turns out, but I'm hopeful.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Re: MSRC 1.7 state of the track

Post by dufremle » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:47 am

Wow. Hopefully this time they got it right. Any word on Eagle's Canyon?
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:17 pm

Hope it turns out right this time. I'm actually headed out there next month with the car. Hopefully I can keep in on the pavement this time. :)
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:24 pm

dufremle wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:47 am Wow. Hopefully this time they got it right. Any word on Eagle's Canyon?
I hear ECR is still quite good. They apparently did it right the first time. But I haven't been there myself for nearly two years.

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JeffStrom » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:21 am

I got on the track Sunday. I took the Triumph out (just to clean up my chicken strips) since I hadn't had it at the track in a couple of years. 99% of the track was really good. There are still a few bumps on the straight after ricochet, but not nearly as bad as before. And there was a crack in the asphalt near the apex of the first turn into rattlesnake. Talking to Jeff, the engineers confirmed that data from the paving machine showed the asphalt was too thin at that spot. Why they didn't catch it when it happened, I don't know. But they supposedly have reviewed all the data and that is the only spot they will have to redo, but I didn't get any idea as to how much they would have to replace. If they just do a section across the entire width of the track and have perpendicular seams, it will be fine.