Seven-Zero-Seven Helmets?

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Seven-Zero-Seven Helmets?

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 am

Does anyone have a 7-0-7 helmet today, and if so, what do you think of it? I've had a Scorpion EXO-300, a Shoei RF-1000, and a Shoei X-11. The X-11 is ok, but honestly I bought it when I had a bigger face and even with the XL cheek pads it doesn't quite fit well. And, it's just starting to get worn. But, most importantly the Sena speakers make it too snug and fold my ears over when pulling the helmet on, and then I have to spend the next 10 minutes trying to dig my fingers inside to unfold my ears.

Anyways, I was looking at something like this: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Bike ... _59409_199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife has a Vega helmet with the build in flip-down shades, and I like that and am hoping the technology is good and sound (i.e. not gonna break).

What do you guys think of the 7-0-7 helmets? Cost is definitely a factor here, I'm trying to keep a new lid under $200. Oh, and I am not a fan of the Speed & Strength graphics or I'd give them a closer look. I've never had an Icon helmet fit me correctly so they are out too.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Firewa11

Re: Seven-Zero-Seven Helmets?

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 am

Oh, and noise isn't too big of a factor for me since I've taken to riding with ear plugs even on short commutes now.
ImageImageImage

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 am

Don't know anything about them, but one thing to take note, it's not Snell approved so you can't ride with it at the track.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fireblade
Achievement count: 46

Post by fireblade » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:51 am

DarcShadow wrote:Don't know anything about them, but one thing to take note, it's not Snell approved so you can't ride with it at the track.
Yeah you can, I crashed in one at Eagle Canyon with my 7-0-7 helmet, it held up well.
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:04 am

Actually just checked Ridesmart's site, you can run damage-free BSI, DOT, or SNELL, doesn't require SNELL it looks like. I know CMRA requires SNELL and also requires it be no older than 5 years old (and they do check under the liner for the manufacturer date).

So Jared, you liked the 7-0-7?
ImageImageImage

fireblade
Achievement count: 46

Post by fireblade » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 am

yeah it fit well from the start but I didnt get to wear it long either. It didn't breath all well though.
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 pm

hmmm, bet RS changed their requirements when they started running the cruiser groups.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Check out the Bell vortex they are cheap but great helmets. I have one. Also later you can get a transition shield for it so you don't need the flip down shades. Great ventilation it's not bad for noise and has nice ear pockets. All in all I was impressed.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 am

I've been running a non snell helmet with RS since day one (my SS has the euro equiv of snell)
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 am

Snell is world wide, there is no euro equiv. that ECE rating is the euro equiv of the BSI or DOT (better then DOT actually).

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 am

DarcShadow wrote:Snell is world wide, there is no euro equiv. that ECE rating is the euro equiv of the BSI or DOT (better then DOT actually).
That's what the RS dude told me when he inspected my stuff
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:57 am

He was mistaken. They are two very different testing requirements. A Snell lid may not meet ECE, and probably doesn't meet BSI. However that's not to say one is better then the other, just different testing requirements. Snell, in general, is more of a racing set of safety guidelines where as ECE, BSI, and DOT are more for accidents common riding the street. Personally I'd never trust a DOT only rated lid. If a clam shell can meet DOT requirements that gives me zero confidence in a full face DOT lid. I believe BSI requires full face, and ECE I think does, but allows for those with the flip up front. (could be completely wrong on that last sentence.)

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 am

fixxervi6 wrote:
DarcShadow wrote:Snell is world wide, there is no euro equiv. that ECE rating is the euro equiv of the BSI or DOT (better then DOT actually).
That's what the RS dude told me when he inspected my stuff
RS dudes go through extensive training on international safety standards, right? :SideSplittingLaughter:
DarcShadow wrote:Personally I'd never trust a DOT only rated lid. If a clam shell can meet DOT requirements that gives me zero confidence in a full face DOT lid. I believe BSI requires full face, and ECE I think does, but allows for those with the flip up front. (could be completely wrong on that last sentence.)
Many DOT-only lids could pass Snell, the manufacturer just doesn't bother to pay for the testing. Especially on budget models--there's no reason to spend the time and money getting Snell certified (manufacturers have to pay to get the testing done) if it won't drive more sales. People buying cheap lids buy on price, period.

That said, there's an argument to be made that DOT-only that really couldn't pass Snell isn't necessarily a bad thing. The double impact test (two impacts against a hemisphere in the exact same spot) is making helmets unnecessarily tough. Nobody hits the same spot twice in a real crash, and making a helmet stand up to that means it potentially transfers too much force to your noggin.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:22 pm

Yes, but my point on DOT is that those brain bucket things pass DOT. I don't know I'd trust those things riding a bicycle, let alone after hitting a car and bouncing down the road. BSI has a double drop test as well but it's from a lower height. Therefor the shell is not a rigid and in disapates lower energy levels better, ie slower speed crashes.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Then why would SS put ECE and DOT on the helmet if ECE is equivalent to or better than DOT?
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Because cops in helmet law states will look at the ECE rating and say "that is not a DOT helmet" and write a bigass retarded ticket. Government wisdom at work.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:01 pm

I think one of the tests between DOT and Snell, is DOT can't have greater than 400G impact force transfer, and Snell can't have 300G in impact force transfer. You take even a 300G impact force to the noggin, your brain liquifies anyways so it's not like it really matters!
ImageImageImage

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Telomere wrote:
Then why would SS put ECE and DOT on the helmet if ECE is equivalent to or better than DOT?
Because ECE is not recognized in the US, and DOT is not recognized in Europe. So, they test them and list them both so they can sell in both regions without having to produce different helmets. Snell actually isn't recognized in the US either, only DOT is. It's got to say DOT on the helmet to technically be legal.

That being said, of ALL the times I've ever been stopped while riding, I've never had an officer look at my helmet to see if it was legal. I could have made the helmet out of paper mache and they wouldn't have paid attention.
ImageImageImage

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Firewa11 wrote:
Telomere wrote:
Because ECE is not recognized in the US, and DOT is not recognized in Europe. So, they test them and list them both so they can sell in both regions without having to produce different helmets. Snell actually isn't recognized in the US either, only DOT is. It's got to say DOT on the helmet to technically be legal.

That being said, of ALL the times I've ever been stopped while riding, I've never had an officer look at my helmet to see if it was legal. I could have made the helmet out of paper mache and they wouldn't have paid attention.
I've been stopped by Arlington's finest on more than several occasions, and have had my helmet checked for everything from DOT certification to drugs. Personally I think its just because I "fit the description".....
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 am

DOT and ECE are not actually the same either, although typically if it meets ECE it will also meet DOT, but DOT will not always meet ECE. It's possible to meet one and not the other. They are only "equivelent" in the fact that ECE is Europes requirement for being street legal.

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 am

Dragonfly wrote:I've been stopped by Arlington's finest on more than several occasions, and have had my helmet checked for everything from DOT certification to drugs. Personally I think its just because I "fit the description".....
One of the many reasons I ride a Versys.

My favorite was getting pulled over in the mini van I used to own, being asked if I was drunk (mid-afternoon on a Sunday), being accused of not wearing my seatbelt, then being let go with absolutely no ticket, warning, whatever. I'm pretty sure I was just driving while brown near the Ballpark in Arlington.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:51 am

You guys need to step up to a classy suzuki, you won't get pulled over as much :))
K1600

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Wed May 01, 2013 9:23 am

fixxervi6 wrote:You guys need to step up to a classy suzuki, you won't get pulled over as much :))
:HeadScratch: :-?
white folk are clueless to racial profiling
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:29 am

Dragonfly wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:You guys need to step up to a classy suzuki, you won't get pulled over as much :))
Oh I got it, you just didn't get it

I love suzuki but lets be real, I've seen more chrome extended swing arms and mohawks on suzuki's than any other bike, suzuki is probably about as far from classy as you can get.

You just need to quit squidding it, cover head to toe! :))
K1600

DLSGAP
Achievement count: 0

Post by DLSGAP » Wed May 01, 2013 9:57 am

fixxervi6 wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:
Oh I got it, you just didn't get it

I love suzuki but lets be real, I've seen more chrome extended swing arms and mohawks on suzuki's than any other bike, suzuki is probably about as far from classy as you can get.

You just need to quit squidding it, cover head to toe! :))
I refuse to own a gsxr simply due the squid association
Wear your gear... I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8