Ride Leaders, post rides
sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Hill Country Trip (.) (!) (?)

Post by sckego » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:48 pm

I've got this idea in my head that it might be fun to take a weekend trip down to Hill Country and do some riding in the area southwest of Kerrville. This thread is intended as kind of a suggestion area where people who have been down there can post up any hints as to the must-see/ride/eat/whatever points of interest. It is also kind of a heads-up so that if you'd be interested in coming, I can let you know when things get nailed down. (I know only ride leaders are supposed to post rides, but this is only a rough idea at the moment... still, go ahead and delete if you like.)

First, dates. The plan is to ride down on Friday, explore the area on Saturday, ride home Sunday. As for what Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I got no idea. Its probably going to be something along the lines of me sitting around on a random Tues or Wed night, thinking that I have nothing planned for the upcoming weekend, check the weather to see if its all clear and below triple digits, call local places of lodging and see if they have any availability, and get in touch with people to see if they can make it. I don't intend to set a date a month out and when it finally rolls around its storming and we have to cancel... spur of the moment is the way to go :D The weekends I'm NOT going to be doing this are June 30-July 1, July 14-15, 21-22, and any weekend when there's already a ride planned. Other then that... *shrug*

Second, people. I'd rather have at least one other person to do the trip with, up to a maximum of around 6 bikes, I would say. Any more and I think the size of the group might start to bog itself down, but we'll see. I think the uncertainty of the dates will keep the number of people down to something reasonable. I'm probably not going to be doing this trip 2-up, since a) vic hates the heat, and b) there aren't any spas to lure her this time. Still might happen though. Anyway, if you're interested in going, and can make yourself free for a 3-day weekend, post up and give me contact info, and I'll let you know when its on.

Third, places. I sketched out a route down on google maps. That's Sonic to Leakey, 320 miles, around 6.5 hours of riding time. Counting fuel stops and lunch, it should be a pretty full day of riding. I've heard there are quite a few places to stay in Leakey/Vanderpool/Medina area, as well as possibly camping at Lost Maples or Garner Parks. Dunno about camping though, I think after a full day I'd rather have a shower, bed, and AC.

Saturday will be dedicated to exploring the local roads. The 337-335-41-336 loop is around 100mi/2hrs, and there are some nice looking roads branching off of that too. Might also want to stop off in some of the towns to see what there is to see. The amount of riding here is variable and can be adjusted as necessary.

Sunday can be either the reverse of Friday's route, or, if everyone is tired and just wants to get home, find a major highway (16 or 281) and go straight up that. Looks like about a 5.5 hour straight shot up a major road.

Full disclaimer: This is something I'd like to do and have been kindasorta planning, but I'm notoriously bad at actually getting off my ass to do things and as such this might not happen at all. In this case, don't come crying to me, plan your own trip. Hell, I've already done half the work for you, and I just might come along, too. :wink:

So, yeah. That's all I got for now. Suggestions on where to go/stay/etc are welcome, and if you think you'll be able to make it, lemme know. :grin:
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:55 pm

Find a hotel with a hot tub to stay at. You'll appreciate the hot water after a long hard day of riding

Lodid
Achievement count: 0

Post by Lodid » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:10 pm

I would be open to it! My aunt lives in Kerrville.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:34 pm

You can 'discuss' the trip here, but any actual plans, unless the ride is picked up by a ride leader, will need to be done through PMs.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Super Dave

kerrville

Post by Super Dave » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:56 pm

Kerrville.....ahhhhh, the memories................................not :-)

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Lake Buchanan is a nice place to be at.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:13 pm

Hey - where's the edit button? I used to be able to edit my post.
Anyway
I vote for Room / AC / hot Bath.
-
http://www.highlandlakes.com/lakebuchanan/
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Edmond_Dantes

Post by Edmond_Dantes » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:09 pm

I'm in for it! I was planning another trip through the Mena area, but that could be the next week. I just have to get back on that fabulous OK hwy 1!
No work that month, so just say when. 24 hour notice is good. :grin:
1990 ZG1000 Concours
"...They will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines"

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:35 pm

Jim is right about the planning and posting (use PM as it starts into the I'm IN phase) . We're talking about the next Big Ride and can probably benifit from your thinking ahead. PM me as you work out the details and we may be able to put it together as an OFFICIAL club ride.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by sckego » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:07 am

You can 'discuss' the trip here, but any actual plans, unless the ride is picked up by a ride leader, will need to be done through PMs.
So noted... :grin:
Lake Buchanan is a nice place to be at.
It does look nice... a bit farther north then I was planning on stopping, though. Maybe another area to explore on another trip?
Jim is right about the planning and posting (use PM as it starts into the I'm IN phase) . We're talking about the next Big Ride and can probably benifit from your thinking ahead. PM me as you work out the details and we may be able to put it together as an OFFICIAL club ride.
That could be cool... we can talk about what ideas you guys have down at the lake this weekend. It would be nice to have someone who has experience in leading a group to come along. With regards to the details, you have most of them already. What remains to be figured out is which of the dozen or so places of lodging we'll be staying at, who's coming, and dates... and those probably won't be nailed down till the week of.

People who are on the PM list:
Lodid
Karl817
Edmond_Dantes
Kegan "Glowstick"

gixxerjay

Post by gixxerjay » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:26 am

I would volunteer my truck and enclosed trailer as support vehicle as i'd be pulling my bike down there. But ya I would really like to get back down there now that the roads are all freshly paved.

Jay

Darren

Hill Country

Post by Darren » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:47 am

PM me...

I have done this trip four or five times and know the area well. Recent circumstances may allow me to make a trip like this. :grin:

Jay or Terry can vouch. SuperDave wouldn't remember other than the Hill Country double-apex turn that gave him his name.

We did a bunch of video down there one time with Hawk's group.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:09 am

I'd be down for going as well :)

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by sckego » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:18 am

Thanks for the offer, Darren. I'm not sure if I've met you or not... have you made it out to a bike night? If you do it would be great to talk to you for a bit about your trips and get any advice you can give.

As for the trip... stuff is popping up every weekend, it seems. The earliest I'm free is the last weekend of July, so maybe that weekend, August, or even sometime in September. Like I said, it depends on when I'm free, how many other people can make it, weather, etc... but I'll let you all know when its going to happen :grin:
Kegan "Glowstick"

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:46 pm

Kegan,
Make a list of those interested and start using PM. This is starting to look a lot like a ride rather than an idea. :D
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:56 pm

If we got a ride leader to lead the ride, we could then make it an official ride... I'll cover the leader's gas :cool:

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by sckego » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:59 pm

If we got a ride leader to lead the ride, we could then make it an official ride... I'll cover the leader's gas
Uh, according to the front page, you ARE a ride leader... so you'll cover your own gas? :-? I think Benny expressed interest in a trip as well. So either of you want to volunteer? :D
Kegan "Glowstick"

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:23 pm

I think it says I'm in training :-|

Darren

Post by Darren » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:47 am

Just to wet your appetite, check out these videos done on the three sisters...

http://www.dselliott.com/JohnHwy55.wmv

http://www.dselliott.com/ScottFM337.wmv

http://www.dselliott.com/DarrenFM336.wmv

*** Disclaimer: All credit for these videos goes to Deguello, who rides with Hawk's group.

Wanna set up a trip? PM me... My ride leader status is probably in suspension due to being AWOL for the past year. Jay I am in your trailer!

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Darren wrote:My ride leader status is probably in suspension due to being AWOL for the past year.
You still have the ride leader star

Aviconus
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by Aviconus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:02 pm

if i wasnt afraid my wrist would fall apart before we got there, id be down to go
IM ALWAYS LOOKING TO RIDE PM ME

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Aviconus/Family%20Pics/Angel.jpg[/img]

R.I.P. "Angel" some dick couldnt afford you legit so they stole you.

digi

Post by digi » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:30 pm

Tape it up, Marine.

:-)
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

gixxerjay

Post by gixxerjay » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Trailer spot is open for rent :P Add me to the PM list i'm down for the trip.

Jay

Bird

Post by Bird » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:14 pm

Blizzard_1708 wrote:
Darren wrote:My ride leader status is probably in suspension due to being AWOL for the past year.
You still have the ride leader star
Darren is doing right ... we're still working on his status and trying to make sure that both Darren and the club come out in a winning situation. The last year for him has been kind of strange and we need to talk about it. In the mean time, don't count on icons! :D
Mike

psychosoccermom

Post by psychosoccermom » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:17 pm

I have family that live in kerrville, I have taken the ride down several times and it is spectacular, one hint though- take gum... Even in a car I had to chew it because my ears kept popping...

TTFN,
Shannon
Normal is a cycle on a washing machine...