Wheelie Advice

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Wheelie Advice

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:05 pm

Okay, so the squid in me is trying to come out... I've asked for some advice on rides, but I'd like to examine the different ways of pulling wheelies, and advice on either one of those...

First up, the way that I wheelie now, is to accellerate in 1st gear until I get around 8500-9000rpm, chop the throttle, then pull back on the throttle hard to lift up the front. The problem is, at 9000rpm in 1st, I'm already doing 50-60mph. Also, my power band really engages at around 10k rpm, so doing a wheelie that way isn't very fluid / smooth...

I've had other people tell me that clutching up is better... maybe not on the clutch itself, but for being able to bring up the front at lower speeds. My question is, how exactly does one clutch up the front properly, without putting undue stress on the clutch? I've tried pulling in the clutch, revving to 9k rpm, and dumping the clutch, but it doesn't do much other than lurch a second and bog back down as the engine meets the tire speed.

I know, this is a squid subject, but I figure if anyone has some good advice, it's you guys....[/i]
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:48 am

on the old board someone had posted a video, kinda a training video. Does anyone still have that?

rnbcbr1000
Achievement count: 0

Post by rnbcbr1000 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:58 am

I watched this video the other day put out by a guy from Superbike magazine. It takes you through the techniques for power up wheelies and clutch up wheelies. Personally, I very rarely ever clutch up for a wheelie. I feel that it puts undue stress on the clutch and associated equipment and my bike will power up in first and second pretty easy so I really have no need for the clutch. The biggest thing to remember when learning to wheelie is to keep a finger on the clutch lever and a toe on the rear brake. If you go past the point of comfort, hit the brake! Your solution for first gear power up wheelies is to learn how to change into 2nd gear while the bike is coming up. Good luck and be safe.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ycle&hl=en
[url=http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture3qf8.jpg][img]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8339/picture3qf8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Jason

If you're not riding on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

beercap

Post by beercap » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:15 am

I bought these two other videos and it teaches you how to do wheelies and other stunts...

watched it and learned... I had no business doing that $hit...
maybe when I get a trash track bike, or a chinese bike...
but I do love to watch everyone else trying it, entertaining is gooood!...

Cheers,
Beercap
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9436/twins1zv7.gif[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9751/opusfinalgf2.gif[/img][/url]

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:28 am

I've always cluched my wheelies up while in 2nd gear. I never developed the skill to power up my 9R in 2nd even though I know it is possible. And my 650 could probably do a power wheelie in 2nd but again, it requires more skill then I have.

As for how to clutch it up, I can't really explain, I just do it. I don't think about it, or pay attention to my RPMs or anything, it's just a feeling that comes with practice. I do know that I"m usually about mid range on my RMPs when I pull the clutch in, and I kind of bounce it like if I was just powering, let off the throttle a little, pull the clutch, and the rest is kind of fuzy as to how it works. I think I open the trottle, and kind of drop the clutch at the same time. I don't pay any attention to how high of RMPs I'm at before I dump the clutch. One thing I do like about clutching in 2nd vs power in 1st, is that is feels much smoother to me.

Clutching up in 1st is not a good idea unless you are either really good at it, or working on slow speed wheelies. Slow speed ones, I've been told to apply your rear break a little, clutch up the wheelie, hold the throttle steady and use the rear break to control the wheelie. I played around with that a little on my old 9R but never got the hang of it.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks everyone, good info. I especially like the video you posted Jason, gives some good advice there. I need to go find a big parking lot or runway myself... heh. I think I have the concept of slipping the clutch now. I like the first-person perspective that video has, so I could see what the guy was doing with his hands.

Thanks again!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

weaksauce

Post by weaksauce » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:42 am

I tried clutching up a wheelie yesterday. I was able to get the front up at about 15 mph in 1st as opposed to 45-50 by powering it up. I pulled the clutch in revved it up and slipped the clutch out. It's just like launching hard, but just a little faster. After you get over the intial shock the thing popping up really easy, it is obvious why people clutch up wheelies. As for the wear on the clutch, I replaced my clutch last week. It took me about 45 minutes and $50 worth of clutch discs. So I don't see that as being a factor for me.
word.

GSXRRider
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by GSXRRider » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:17 am

I will usually not try stand ups or clutching because I don't want to learn that. However, I will start lifting it up by bouncing the front with the throttle at 15-20 then riding it till red line. On some occasion I will bounce it in second and keep it going but not often.

Bird Shooter

Post by Bird Shooter » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:36 pm

GSXRRIDER1000 wrote:I will usually not try stand ups or clutching because I don't want to learn that. However, I will start lifting it up by bouncing the front with the throttle at 15-20 then riding it till red line. On some occasion I will bounce it in second and keep it going but not often.
Yeah right :!:

Bailout

Post by Bailout » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:27 am

DarcShadow wrote:I've always cluched my wheelies up while in 2nd gear. I never developed the skill to power up my 9R in 2nd even though I know it is possible. And my 650 could probably do a power wheelie in 2nd but again, it requires more skill then I have.

As for how to clutch it up, I can't really explain, I just do it. I don't think about it, or pay attention to my RPMs or anything, it's just a feeling that comes with practice. I do know that I"m usually about mid range on my RMPs when I pull the clutch in, and I kind of bounce it like if I was just powering, let off the throttle a little, pull the clutch, and the rest is kind of fuzy as to how it works. I think I open the trottle, and kind of drop the clutch at the same time. I don't pay any attention to how high of RMPs I'm at before I dump the clutch. One thing I do like about clutching in 2nd vs power in 1st, is that is feels much smoother to me.

Clutching up in 1st is not a good idea unless you are either really good at it, or working on slow speed wheelies. Slow speed ones, I've been told to apply your rear break a little, clutch up the wheelie, hold the throttle steady and use the rear break to control the wheelie. I played around with that a little on my old 9R but never got the hang of it.
I may not be the smartest man in the world but this confuses me a bit. Skill to power up? for me it is just a matter of twist...I twist the riht hand hard enough and it comes up. Which for an old fat guy like me works just fine.

Now there are the occasions when i drop two, quick clutch it and the damn thing stands on end but i try to limit those occasions.

Don all that said my advice is to get a $300 dirt bike and practice in the yard, exact same applications and less pain when one goes bad!
When the buildings look like buildings..........Get something in the WIND ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
2004 V-Rod 1250
2010 48" Gravity Longboard
1999 Old Man corvette Convertible

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:59 am

yeah, skill

If the bike doesn't have quite enough to just twist the throttle and power up there are several things the rider can do to help the bike up. I've seen guys on the exact same bike as mine do wheelies at times when I could never of thought to be able to pull one. They just had more skill at bouncing the bike, shifting their weight, and working the throttle.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Bailout

Post by Bailout » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:05 pm

ahh yes... power instead of skill sounds much more my speed!
When the buildings look like buildings..........Get something in the WIND ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
2004 V-Rod 1250
2010 48" Gravity Longboard
1999 Old Man corvette Convertible