help with gear for my first sport bike

armedandinsain
Achievement count: 26

help with gear for my first sport bike

Post by armedandinsain » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:22 pm

Ok guys im working on getting all my gear for when I get my bike in a few weeks im looking at the tour master intake jacket. I have tried them on and they fit me well. I am just going off of looks and how it feels on me. I don’t know much about what u look for in them any help would be great.

Also im still looking for a helmet I don’t want to trust my life to a $40 piece of junk but at the same time I don’t really want to pay $600 if I don’t have to. Im looking for a lid not to far over $400 has to keep my head in one piece if I go down and if it comes in black that would be nice.

And one last question then ill shut up and go away. body armor / back protectors, should I get one or are they for racing and track days. Want to be safe out there but don’t want to spend cash if I don’t have to. Thanks again guys

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:16 pm

I have that jacket - it flapps around on my shoulders above 80 and bobbles my head around some. Hard to focus my eyes the closer she gets to redline.
If you go with the Intake - Make sure it's tight on the shoulders. Someone else might recommend a better product. My recommendation is "It's an Inexpensive jacket."
-
Helmet - Airflow - Airflow - Airflow.
-
Gloves & Boots.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:23 pm

Check out www.CycleMartUSA.com. Terry, our club founder, runs an online store. Call or email the store for the best prices and mention this club.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

matadorCE
Achievement count: 0

Post by matadorCE » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:55 pm

You can also go to Cycle Gear and try on a bunch of helmets, they'll let you try stuff on with little to no pressure to buy. They'll also help you in terms of helmet fitment if you ask them.

Don't forget about about boots and a good pair of gloves. I'd look for those two before getting a back protector/body armor.

armedandinsain

Post by armedandinsain » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:21 pm

i have boots and gloves my friend got for me not the best but ok for now i guess http://www.leatherup.com/product.asp?pf_id=XG%2D441
http://www.leatherup.com/product.asp?pf ... 03%2DBlack

digi

Post by digi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Karl817 wrote:I have that jacket - it flapps around on my shoulders above 80 and bobbles my head around some. Hard to focus my eyes the closer she gets to redline.
If you go with the Intake - Make sure it's tight on the shoulders. Someone else might recommend a better product. My recommendation is "It's an Inexpensive jacket."
-
Helmet - Airflow - Airflow - Airflow.
-
Gloves & Boots.
Something about the Shoei X11... it has almost TOO MUCH airflow...

It's light on noise, but if I plan on doing 150 and above, then I need to close vents, else the wind blows my contacts around.

Nothing like getting blurry vision at insta-death speed.
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

Bird

Post by Bird » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:42 pm

There are LOTS of jackets and gear around. The key is FIT and QUALITY. It doesn't matter if you're wearing a $700 helmet or $2,000 leathers ... if they don't fit, you're going to get hurt or killed.

Come on out to F&H on Thursday and ask to try on different jackets and helmets... all the club members will be more than willing to tell you the pluses and minuses of each. Just be ready, they may smell a little rank, but that's because we RIDE, not just wear gear to look cool.

Armour is a GOOD thing whether you're on the street, dirt or track. If you're thinking about separate armour under your jacket, talk to DragonFly, he's been trying stuff out and has found some equipment he's happy with. Most of us wear at least SOME armour ALL the time, but that comes from experience and feeling the pain when you don't do it!

Depending on your size, some of the members may have some stuff that they would be willing to get rid of at a good price. If you're going for new, CycleMart and Terry is the best route. We can get you geared up ... just be ready to have more options thrown at you than you can deal with. :-)
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

armedandinsain

Post by armedandinsain » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:16 pm

thanks for all your help guys.

Bird, I think I may take u guys up on that. I will just have to see if someone in my family is free to drive that night cuz I still cant drive with this boot on my foot (cant wait to get this thing off!!)

Karl, thanks for the info on the jacket the one I tried on fit great on the shoulders. would u happen to know how well the water proof and thermal liners work cuz im looking to use my bike as my main source of transportation all year and I really don’t want to freeze my butt off in the winter. Or cook in the summer = (the reason im not getting leather)

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:27 pm

First of all, is that a Boot or a Bracelet? I'd come down and get you, but I'm riding The Bitch up there and we'd probably catch some flack over it! :-)

May as well GIVE UP on getting gear that will work in the Summer AND the Winter with one set... Texas has some pretty big extremes! For the Winter, I have some touring gear that I have thought about selling ... as for Summer, if you're going to ride hard, it's STILL going to be leather. :-o Come on out on Thursday if at all possible and we'll see who has stuff that will fit.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

armedandinsain

Post by armedandinsain » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:35 am

Its a walking boot that comes all the way up to just below my knee it keeps me from moving my foot at all. i think i can still drive but my family still holds my keys hostage till the doc says I can drive again. I did have a knee brace to but they want me to keep that off to help rebuild my ACL (or what’s left of it)

Thanks for the thought but i don’t think i could ever ride bitch with my size anyway. im 6'1 and 245 lbs. may not be to safe

I thought it was a long shot finding something that would work all year long. I know leather is always best and I plan on getting some leather for when I open her up and do track days but I just don’t know about day to day driving in it with the heat out here.

I will try my best to come out tomorrow but its all up to what time my ride gets off work. I really hope I can get up there im going nuts in this house

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:23 pm

Get a fully vented leather jacket. As long as you're moving at 10 mph or so, its not going to be hotter then anything else... in fact, it will probably be better then anything but mesh. It will get hot when you're stopped, but then, anything will. I bought a 2-pc suit from Ridegear on closeout for <$350 last year, and you should be able to find similarly good deals by looking around... like people reccomended, check with Terry at Cyclemart, and browse the closeout sections of other big online retailers like newenough and ridegear.

Same deal with helmets. I got a previous model year Shoei for around $150 from newenough, for helmet that probably cost $400 retail. Scorpion is also supposed to make quality helmets and affordable prices, but I don't have any experience with those. Might still be worth you time to check out though.

Winter gear, get a solid textile jacket with a thick liner. It will be warmer and cheaper then solid leather... I got my cortech for well under $100. If it gets too cold I also wear some snowboarding pants over my jeans. People at work tend to look at me funny when I do that, though... :-?
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:05 pm

I've always had leather jackets. And I've found it's actually cooler to wear a leather jacket then to ride around in a T-shirt (Bird, don't start, it was back in my squid days)

For cooler riding I've got a light weight fall type jacket that I can wear over my leathers and it does a great job of blocking the wind. Once you stop the wind from going through the perforated leathers they stay pretty comfortable.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:56 pm

armedandinsain wrote: would u happen to know how well the water proof and thermal liners work cuz im looking to use my bike as my main source of transportation all year and I really don’t want to freeze my butt off in the winter. Or cook in the summer = (the reason im not getting leather)
-
Not on water proofing - the only times I've been caught in the rain I didn't have the liners with me.
Cold - The jacket is layered - the rain proof liner zipps in and will make you hot when stopped - in cold weather too. Then the thin thermal liner zipps into the rain liner. As it is with a t-shirt on underneath that's good for 50 degrees. I have worn a long sleeved t-shirt, a sweat shirt and all the liners and ridden around in 40 degrees.
-
Because we're in Texas - get hot weather gear and when it get's cold - I'm going to start looking for heated vest and go from there.
-
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Bird

Post by Bird » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:40 pm

I have a European made wind-suit that I wear under my Fall/Spring leathers for winter riding and it works great. You just have to remember to allow extra time to get to all the layers when you run into the bathroom at a rest stop. :-)

Try to stay with quality gear that will suit you for the summer, late spring and early fall. Beyond that, you can usually layer some under-roo's or wind-suit and still be comfortable at anything under triple digits or taking a 6 hour ride.

Talk with the folks and get some opinions ... there are a LOT of years of experience in this club and you may as well gain from it. One thing that you'll find .... if someone really doesn't know or feel strongly about it, they will point you to someone that does. We don't settle easy with people that give advice without any real experience! :D
Mike

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:56 pm

Here are my two cents on this subject.

I have bought Leather Jacket with Removeable Back-Protectors already incorporated in them. That way if I want to use them they are there and if I don't then I can remove them. I suggest you should consider the same option.

I am of the belief that all safety equipment is good, and that you should buy the best that you can afford and WEAR IT ALWAYS!

As for summer armour ...I've tried two brands of armour: Alpinestars Bionic Armour Jacket and Dianese Summer Armour Jacket.
Both have hard armour on the foreams, shoulders, and chest, along with removable Back-Protectors. The Back-Protectors can be worn by themselves (I wear them under my Full Leather Suits). Both can be worn under clothes, or under leather jackets. They fit best if your leather jacket has no armour (non motorcycle specific jackets) or removeable armour (you know that soft foam stuff) otherwise it makes for a bulky & snug fit.

Both are very similar in construction but by no means are they going to make you bulletproof. Neither seem like they would be able to take too much damage, but all they really need to do is minimize the damage to you, should you take a spill. The Dianese is more expensive than the Alpinestars, but the Alpinestars is the better value (better zippers too).

I also have a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh Jacket that I like very much!

The best advice I can give you is go find a store that has what you are looking for in stock and try it on, make sure it fits and that you really like it, so that you will be more likely to wear it.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

rnbcbr1000

Post by rnbcbr1000 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:59 am

ALPINESTARS for leathers, and gloves. ALPINESTARS, SIDI for boots. SUOMY for helmet. A bit pricey but they will last and pay off in the long run, plus they fit true to size whem some cheaper brands do not. You can't go wrong with Italian made leather products. Happy shopping, EBAY is my choice for this.
[url=http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture3qf8.jpg][img]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8339/picture3qf8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Jason

If you're not riding on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:46 am

I love my Alpinestars gear. Plus they make good t-shirts too :grin:

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:48 pm

My personal preference at this time has become 2007 ICON Timax2(Titanium infused) Gloves(short) and Mesh Jacket... :grin:

It is quite comfortable even in this heat and I would suggest hitting Ebay for the purchase cause I saved over a $100 bucks off (brand new) msr and in store prices...only problem I had in sizing it up was that I had to ride over to a few stores in Dallas to try them on for size and to find out the in-store prices were outrageous...

Won't be making meet tonite cause I am under the weather, but maybe I will catch up with you in the future and I am more than willing to let you try it on if you need... :-D

As far as leathers...I have not made it that far yet...
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

armedandinsain

Post by armedandinsain » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:12 pm

ok so I have been looking and trying on helmets and jackets and have found a helmet that I really like the fit on and is Snell rated. great price to but its from a company I have never herd of ... ScorpionExo? I noticed in one of the pics from the 6/10 ride that at least one of u guys have one and I am wondering how u like it, how’s the air flow and should I get the 400 (Polycarbonate) or the 700 ( fiberglass) shell. been told that Polycarbonate is softer and will pad a fall more. not sure if true or not.

Bird

Post by Bird » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:20 am

Jim (dufremle) rode a Scorpio for a while. PM him and ask his opinion.
Mike

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:25 am

I had a Scorpion EXO 400, and I gotta tell ya, for a beginner helmet, it's okay... but from what I've found, you get what you pay for. The wind noise in my Scorpion was really high, where the shield bolts on it gets a lot of wind noise. Also, the wind would buck my head all over the place at any speed over 90, not to mention severe helmet lift at over 110.

I decided to spend a bit more money and bought a Shoei RF-1000, and haven't looked back since. :grin: