Tires...I know...again...

nitzer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 8

Tires...I know...again...

Post by nitzer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:27 am

So now that my rear is shot (thanks Jim), I'm looking at new tires. The front (Conti Road Attack) probably has around 9-10K on it so I'm going to replace them as a set. I know the guys on the ride today suggested the PR3, but I've been reading great things about the new Angel GT (not the ST). They basically said the Angel GT might have a slight advantage if I decided to do a LVL1 track day. Of course I am getting better at riding so I want a tire that sticks, but can still be there in the wet if I get stuck in the rain and can possibly do a track day or two. Typically I won't ride in the rain if I have a choice. I don't need a real sticky tire if it sucks in the rain. I don't push the SV that hard at the moment (ie: large chicken strips). The rear that just wore out was a Bridgstone S20R which lasted just under 5K from my calculations. Another thing about the PR3 is that I've seen some scalloping on the tires due to the way the tread pattern is designed. Not sure I like that characteristic of the tire. The Angel GT looks like it would be less susceptible to that. I do want to ride when the temps start to dip so any tire with crappy cold grip are pretty much out too. Any thoughts? Any other tires that might fit the bill?
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Re: Tires...I know...again...

Post by Striple » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Both the PR3 and the Angel GT are excellent tires, and I have no doubt that you would be happy with either choice. I've run the Angel series (the original ST and now its successor, the GT) on different bikes, and have nothing but positive experiences to report about these tires. I even ran a couple of track days on the C-14 using Angel STs, then did a 3500-mile tour through the southwestern states, used it for daily commuting (110 miles roundtrip) and finally changed that particular set at just over 8000 miles, when the cord was showing on the rear.

The Angels are definitely a fantastic street tire, but you really cannot lose given these two choices.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:11 pm

I had to push the PR3 well beyond "intermediate" pace for them to become an issue. Unless your getting really crazy it will stick, I would be willing to bet a lot of people would have 0 issues with them on a level 1 track day as well. They may be sport touring tires but they are still sport tires with multi compound.
K1600

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Motorcycle tires - sport bike tires, typically last about 5k rear, 10k front. There may be tread left on the front at 10k but it has heat cycled so much it is usually hard as a rock.
I've ridden all over the place on Pilot Powers, then on Pilot Power 2-CT. Then one Epic Friday-ride of Labor Day weekend I got a flat in my sub-1k miles rear out between Lipan and Grandbury. Rode it to Grandbury where all they had was a Q2, a $340 mounted/balanced Q2. (That still hurts.)
Fell in love with it and have never looked back.
I've drug pegs on occasion - the Pilot Powers about 1/3 of the time would step out a little. Never on the Q2s.
I've ridden in the rain - 80mph all the way unless it was just too heavy to see - thru many a big puddle the cars splash thru. I can only sumise a bike needs to be going a lot faster to hydroplane. Never had that problem.
My first experience in the rain was following SCKego out in the country, 80+, starts raining. Never slowed one bit. Taking turns like always, +30 or so no problems.
"I need to consider the rain quality of the tire", your wasting your time thinking that.
All of the above is my experiences and opinion.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
200+HP bike, In the rain, sportbike tires. Still power-wheeling out of the turns.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

nitzer

Post by nitzer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Which is exactly why the front is going. It is hard at this point. Just checked it today. I know Fixxer likes the Michys, but I think I'm going to give the Angel GT a go. Rain traction aside the rear I had just seemed wear extremely fast for a light bike. Money is still a little tight at this point although the funds for the new tires is coming from my Ebay sales so it won't hurt quite so bad buying the new tires.
- Derek

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:43 pm

nitzerebbhead wrote:Which is exactly why the front is going. It is hard at this point. Just checked it today. I know Fixxer likes the Michys, but I think I'm going to give the Angel GT a go. Rain traction aside the rear I had just seemed wear extremely fast for a light bike. Money is still a little tight at this point although the funds for the new tires is coming from my Ebay sales so it won't hurt quite so bad buying the new tires.
It's not that they are my preference, they are simply the only sport touring tires I've had on the GSXR, and they were fine.
K1600

Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 4

Post by 111 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:34 pm

I've never used the 2CT on the street but I have used them on the track and thought they were very sticky and never had a single slip on them. The only thing I can think is they weren't heating up enough on the street for yall. I thought the 2CT were more of a race dot tire than an actual street tire.
Red on Black 12 GSXR 600

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:38 pm

111/James wrote:I've never used the 2CT on the street but I have used them on the track and thought they were very sticky and never had a single slip on them. The only thing I can think is they weren't heating up enough on the street for yall. I thought the 2CT were more of a race dot tire than an actual street tire.
I think the problem is the lateral grip/soft compound strip is too small. On the track when your leaned all the way over it's fine, on the street at moderate lean they suck.
K1600

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:12 am

fixxervi6 wrote:I had to push the PR3 well beyond "intermediate" pace for them to become an issue. Unless your getting really crazy it will stick, I would be willing to bet a lot of people would have 0 issues with them on a level 1 track day as well. They may be sport touring tires but they are still sport tires with multi compound.
This was my experience as well. They stuck like glue at L1 pace on the track, it wasn't until I picked up the pace that I had the rear slip on me. I agree with striple, either is a great option.

Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 4

Post by 111 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 am

Do either of you remember the pressures you were running? With the Michelin
Red on Black 12 GSXR 600

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 am

I ran street pressures, 41/41. I wanted to see what my Versys could do in L1 in street trim.

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Just got an email advertisement - MotoSport.com having a tire sale.
$199 for a set of Pilot Road 2.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

nitzer

Post by nitzer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Well, it's a little late. :P I ordered my tires last night. Went with the Angel GT front and rear.
- Derek