2 Piece Vs. 1 Piece Suit -Safety

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

2 Piece Vs. 1 Piece Suit -Safety

Post by JTChiTown » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:56 pm

OK-So going into the Holiday Season got me thinking about my Leathers Situation. I currently rock a 2 Piece Joe Rocket Setup and have asked for a new 2 piece Alpine Stars setup that fits better.

My wife asked if that was the safest or not, which got me thinking. Has anyone ever seen a report or study regarding the protection levels of a 1pc Vs. a 2 pc?

I've never seen a pro wear a 2 pc in a race, but I've also never seen a 2pc come apart and allow a rider to be injured either.

Thoughts / Experiences?
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: 2 Piece Vs. 1 Piece Suit -Safety

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:02 pm

I've wrecked in two piece mesh and one piece leather.

The two piece mesh was a minor crash with tumbling, no sliding, the gear held.

The one piece leathers crash was somewhat minor, with both tumbling and sliding - it held up fine.

For the street, I sure wish my two piece still fit, being able to strip off the top is worth something, but I see the zipper as a potential failure point - I don't need stats to tell me that a solid piece of leather is stronger than a zipper. One piece leathers for street riding is a pita, but I do it anyway, I'm too pretty.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:56 pm

I agree with fixxer. I've also owned both and while a two piece is nice you can't beat one solid piece for safety. If you already have a nice street jacket I see no reason to buy a two piece. It just as annoying as a 1pc when zipped because it's to exactly easy to get apart easy. Matter of fact I couldn't really do it while wearing the pants
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Depends what you're wearing it for.

1pc is definitely safer because there's no chance of the zipper holding the pieces together failing in a crash. But, it's way less convenient to wear for stuff like club rides, where you don't want to wear your jacket to sit and eat BBQ.

I wear a 1pc on the track and 2pc on the street.

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:18 pm

So nothing besides anecdotal evidence huh?

I agree a 1 piece has more flexibility, lighter, less failure points, etc.... and that I will someday own one.

I was just curious if anyone had the data point to say, "this is why I only ride a 1 piece". Sounds dirty anywhere but a motorcycle forum!

I guess it got me thinking about the strength of the zipper and what type of damage the human body can withstand. After thinking on it for two to three days, I'm now of the opinion anything I get into that destroys a 2 Piece will probably also destroy me. I guess there are known accident types where this could occur, but I'd bet the statistics of said event happening at all, coupled with just the right circumstances, are small enough to be more of a freak anomaly than a concern.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:22 pm

My only serious accident was in a no-piece with an open-face helmet. Nothing anecdotal about what I learned there, but suffice it to say either way you choose to go, you're infinitely more protected than yours truly back in my squidom.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:08 pm

JTChiTown wrote:So nothing besides anecdotal evidence huh?

I agree a 1 piece has more flexibility, lighter, less failure points, etc.... and that I will someday own one.

I was just curious if anyone had the data point to say, "this is why I only ride a 1 piece". Sounds dirty anywhere but a motorcycle forum!

I guess it got me thinking about the strength of the zipper and what type of damage the human body can withstand. After thinking on it for two to three days, I'm now of the opinion anything I get into that destroys a 2 Piece will probably also destroy me. I guess there are known accident types where this could occur, but I'd bet the statistics of said event happening at all, coupled with just the right circumstances, are small enough to be more of a freak anomaly than a concern.
Not really, if the zipper fails and you slide feet first you'll end up with some heavy duty back rash, that's why I don't like regular motorcycle jackets that don't zip to your pants, they will ride up in a crash. Telomere has a "tramp stamp scar" from that very thing happening to her, soon as I saw that crash my ass bought some riding pants that zipped together, your lower back is a bad place to have rash during the healing process.
K1600

BeautifulDisaster
Achievement count: 14

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Wouldn't fit also have an impact on how safe leathers are?
"So bright... so beautiful... ah, Precioussss."

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:30 pm

BeautifulDisaster wrote:Wouldn't fit also have an impact on how safe leathers are?
Definitely, and much more so than most people think. Poorly-fitting leathers can be a contributing factor to sustained injuries, especially rash. The other part of that is that poorly-fitting gear in general may affect your focus, reaction-time and ability to ride smoothly. A comfortable rider is a relaxed rider.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

BeautifulDisaster
Achievement count: 14

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:32 pm

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming, Striple!
"So bright... so beautiful... ah, Precioussss."