MSRC 1.3 Saturday 5/16, 1.7 Sunday 5/17

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: MSRC 1.3 Saturday 5/16, 1.7 Sunday 5/17

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Stardog84 wrote:Wow. How much does that shit cost?
$400, you can do video overlay data (does not tie into bike systems) and you can also choose 3 laps, overlay them on the map and "play" them observing the lines, speeds, gforces etc all together, and setup splits after the fact so if you want to see time differences between lines through a section like rattle snake.

MotoD Next can tie into bike systems and logs at 50HZ
K1600

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Sun May 17, 2015 5:40 pm

Man that is cool. Is it accurate like a GPS lap timer or inaccurate like a telephone lap timer?
DR650
Have cool, will travel

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Stardog84 wrote:Man that is cool. Is it accurate like a GPS lap timer or inaccurate like a telephone lap timer?
way way more accurate, it IS a GPS lap timer. You can do other things, straight up gps logging, lap timing so that it will turn green or red based on did you improve or slow down, can get set to drag race mode, shit like that.
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sun May 17, 2015 6:11 pm

I have to say that today was the absolute worst track day I have ever had. I was very excited to get out there and have fun with friends but the way things where there was nothing you could work on. couldnt work on lines at all... Braking... Acceleration...even body position was pointless because of all the single file cone areas. For once I could have done more to improve my riding on the street. That said I had a great time sitting around with good friends waiting for something to get better. Also yesterday was a blast!
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Sun May 17, 2015 6:15 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:way way more accurate, it IS a GPS lap timer. You can do other things, straight up gps logging, lap timing so that it will turn green or red based on did you improve or slow down, can get set to drag race mode, shit like that.
What is it called?

DemonDuck - I had a good time. Wish I could have ridden my damned motorcycle.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Qstarz LT-6000 I think
K1600

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Sun May 17, 2015 6:51 pm

Yeah, today was a statistical outlier, but hanging out with everyone saved the day.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Sun May 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Striple wrote:Yeah, today was a statistical outlier, but hanging out with everyone saved the day.
My youngest wanted to stay and hang out with everyone (he wanted me to take him back to the track after I dropped Cait off in Keller for her WRFA class).
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Mon May 18, 2015 1:37 pm

MSR Cresson 5/17/15: https://youtu.be/0aP3befPtzw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Little clip from Sunday. Watch at about 1:09 the guy in front of me slides a little side ways. He did it a couple of times but this was the only clear shot I got. The others had too much water on the lens and the images came out blurry and out of focus.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Striple

Post by Striple » Mon May 18, 2015 2:06 pm

A little slip like that is good exercise for sphincter muscles.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Valentina
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 0

Post by Valentina » Mon May 18, 2015 2:08 pm

DemonDuck wrote:I have to say that today was the absolute worst track day I have ever had. I was very excited to get out there and have fun with friends but the way things where there was nothing you could work on. couldnt work on lines at all... Braking... Acceleration...even body position was pointless because of all the single file cone areas. For once I could have done more to improve my riding on the street. That said I had a great time sitting around with good friends waiting for something to get better. Also yesterday was a blast!
Aw I am sorry to hear that!!! Were there more cones out on the track than on Saturday?! I saw a guy in TWS and now in Cresson too riding with only one hand!!! That is so impressive!!!! I wonder if yall know him! Respect for him!
Stop chasing shadows just enjoy the ride.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon May 18, 2015 2:28 pm

That's a lot of standing water for Cresson. Wow.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:31 pm

DarcShadow wrote:That's a lot of standing water for Cresson. Wow.
Some of it wasn't standing, it was flowing over the track.
K1600

LonestarCBR
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon May 18, 2015 3:21 pm

After stopping by Saturday I was feeling bummed about not attending on the 1.3. After seeing this video from the 1.7, I'm glad I was nowhere in the vicinity. I really enjoy Ridesmart, and think it's a great organization, but why they don't call a day like this off when you're spending your hard earned money is beyond me. For a race weekend I get it, but not for track days for mere mortals. I know that may not be the popular view, but damn.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:25 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:After stopping by Saturday I was feeling bummed about not attending on the 1.3. After seeing this video from the 1.7, I'm glad I was nowhere in the vicinity. I really enjoy Ridesmart, and think it's a great organization, but why they don't call a day like this off when you're spending your hard earned money is beyond me. For a race weekend I get it, but not for track days for mere mortals. I know that may not be the popular view, but damn.

My guess is they operate on a thin margin and absorbing the financial hit would have been hard. It sucks but I'll take it, it's better than trying to do track days in a place like California, by comparison our track days are cheap cheap cheap so you'll win some and you'll lose some.

I look at it like getting a nail in your brand new Q3, it sucks but sometimes it happens, you bitch about it then go buy another tire.

I'm completely bumbed but whatcha gonna do.. I'll buy another track day.
K1600

Striple

Post by Striple » Mon May 18, 2015 4:09 pm

Yeah, it wasn't the best of days, but this kind of scenario is actually quite rare. I've done my fair share of track events all over the place, and I've only seen this kind of scenario a couple of times.

I can't knock RideSmart for not cancelling the event--they're a business, and are going to avoid the financial loss associated with a cancellation whenever possible. Like fixxer said, our track days are dirt cheap, and every now and again you're going to have to put up with shitty conditions. I did one lap all day yesterday. Not one session, one lap, and not even on my bike (slicks and water are not friends). Oh well, next time will be better.

WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

Post by WickerMan » Mon May 18, 2015 4:20 pm

I had an absolute blast, but being on a low powered 250, my margine of error was much greater, I can't imagine anything more powerful. The track dried out a bit after yall left in little and big bend. I got the hang of rattlesnake, often running up on the 600s and pulling even with a correct line in Wagonwheel. I passed a triumph Bonneville coming out of Wagonwheel. Nearly passed a Triumph ST1000 there also. The corners after little bend were fun. I can't count how many times I got passed and then caught the rider in the next corner, causing me to brake when I wasn't going to, and holding me up. I had a girl pass me in the gates going through the water before big bend, that scared the crap out of me, I gues she forgot what single file was. The 600s would pull away on the straights but I would catch up in the turns so I was able to stay with the slower ones the whole session. I can't believe how well I did for my first time, I can't wait to go back with a little more power and a dry track, I think my tires should get a lot of credit, those S20 evos are awesome.
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:23 pm

WickerMan wrote:I had an absolute blast, but being on a low powered 250, my margine of error was much greater, I can't imagine anything more powerful. The track dried out a bit after yall left in little and big bend. I got the hang of rattlesnake, often running up on the 600s and pulling even with a correct line in Wagonwheel. I passed a triumph Bonneville coming out of Wagonwheel. Nearly passed a Triumph ST1000 there also. The corners after little bend were fun. I can't count how many times I got passed and then caught the rider in the next corner, causing me to brake when I wasn't going to, and holding me up. I had a girl pass me in the gates going through the water before big bend, that scared the crap out of me, I gues she forgot what single file was. The 600s would pull away on the straights but I would catch up in the turns so I was able to stay with the slower ones the whole session. I can't believe how well I did for my first time, I can't wait to go back with a little more power and a dry track, I think my tires should get a lot of credit, those S20 evos are awesome.
Running a 250 on that track dry is a blast because that's when you can keep corner speeds high, my only complaint is no inside passing. If Ridesmart would allow inside passing a good rider on a 250 could easily slaughter 1000's out there.
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon May 18, 2015 4:28 pm

WickerMan wrote:I had an absolute blast, but being on a low powered 250, my margine of error was much greater, I can't imagine anything more powerful. The track dried out a bit after yall left in little and big bend. I got the hang of rattlesnake, often running up on the 600s and pulling even with a correct line in Wagonwheel. I passed a triumph Bonneville coming out of Wagonwheel. Nearly passed a Triumph ST1000 there also. The corners after little bend were fun. I can't count how many times I got passed and then caught the rider in the next corner, causing me to brake when I wasn't going to, and holding me up. I had a girl pass me in the gates going through the water before big bend, that scared the crap out of me, I gues she forgot what single file was. The 600s would pull away on the straights but I would catch up in the turns so I was able to stay with the slower ones the whole session. I can't believe how well I did for my first time, I can't wait to go back with a little more power and a dry track, I think my tires should get a lot of credit, those S20 evos are awesome.
Glad you had a great day, congrats. That first day is a bid addicting I must say.
~ Terry

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon May 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Striple wrote:Yeah, it wasn't the best of days, but this kind of scenario is actually quite rare. I've done my fair share of track events all over the place, and I've only seen this kind of scenario a couple of times.

I can't knock RideSmart for not cancelling the event--they're a business, and are going to avoid the financial loss associated with a cancellation whenever possible. Like fixxer said, our track days are dirt cheap, and every now and again you're going to have to put up with shitty conditions. I did one lap all day yesterday. Not one session, one lap, and not even on my bike (slicks and water are not friends). Oh well, next time will be better.
Well, first, you don't fit into the "mere mortal" category I don't think, but I get what both you and Fixxer are saying as to margins, a business, and the great deal it is. And I understood that as I was ranting. Like I said, I feebly crawled off my soapbox, I think I was just shocked to see the conditions. My single biggest concern for me personally was the mush I'd have to navigate should I actually run off the track...figure it would be hard to maintain verticalness, so I opted out. It I'd had a track bike, I'd have been there most likely. At any rate, glad everyone had a good time and came back unscathed. I saw one dude on a green (Kawasaki I assume) bike down in the grass somewhere up near the top of the hill as you're driving in. Looked like he needed a helicopter to get it back on the track. :-D
~ Terry

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Mon May 18, 2015 4:41 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:After stopping by Saturday I was feeling bummed about not attending on the 1.3. After seeing this video from the 1.7, I'm glad I was nowhere in the vicinity. I really enjoy Ridesmart, and think it's a great organization, but why they don't call a day like this off when you're spending your hard earned money is beyond me. For a race weekend I get it, but not for track days for mere mortals. I know that may not be the popular view, but damn.

The event is rain or shine. They won't cancel unless it is horrible. A lot of people showed up to ride, more than I was expecting. Alot had ridden the day before, so they left early instead of pushing there luck. I sat out the first session to let some of the squidlier folk get scared off.

I had no issues, but I also was of the mindset that I was not gonna set any records. I was on the Triumph and it was its first track day with me on it. Also first time running Dulop Q3s. I was just wanting to get a feel for how it handled. Well I can honestly say the Q3s held good traction thru the lakes and rivers we had to cross on the track. Bike handled well as well, nowhere near as twitchy as the ZX6RR, but a lot more grunt on the low end of the rpm range. I was consistently turning 2:00 lap times without even thinking about it (I had a few in the 1:50s). I did notice I was at 98mph on the approach to rattle snake. And 86mph and accelerating going into ricochet. But all the water in little bend and the back 3 and before big bend really slowed me down.

On days like this it's best to get out to the staging area early and be the first out on to the track. Getting out first helps because you don't get caught in the middle a group. You tend to take a few more risk when your in a group, and so do the other riders.

All in all it was a good day. Could conditions have been better? Yes! But then you wouldn't have had room to play.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Striple

Post by Striple » Mon May 18, 2015 4:54 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:And I understood that as I was ranting. Like I said, I feebly crawled off my soapbox, I think I was just shocked to see the conditions.
No worries at all. Although I do blame you for not coming by and hanging out with us on Sunday. :)

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon May 18, 2015 5:03 pm

Well, that's fair. My granddaughter wanted to come back to the track Saturday afternoon, I guess I should have brought her Sunday, she would have had a blast.
~ Terry

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue May 19, 2015 1:32 am

Several times I thought about going out and playing around. Not working on anything because all the lines and such where kinda shot but just playing around. Then I thought about it some more and figured I would rather have 2 parade laps to show for my money and feel like it was a waste than a busted bike. I had a great day on the track Saturday so that made it easier to stay off the track Sunday.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

nitzer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Tue May 19, 2015 3:45 pm

I did about 3 runs on Sunday and then called it a day. I started to feel the rear of the SV sliding on my last session and decided it was time to get off the track. I was tired anyway and got a lot of time on the track on Sat. Had a good time anyway, but wish Sunday could've been better. I will plan on getting back out to Cresson soon.
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.