Li-Fi

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Li-Fi

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:13 am

I'm sure some of you IT geeks are more up to speed on this than I, but interesting...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technolo ... &ocid=iehp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Re: Li-Fi

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:05 am

Interesting. Hard to see it as a replacement for Wi-Fi, but could see it as a complementary technology.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:11 am

Laser style data transmission died out a long time ago for good reason. I'll admit it's neat but beyond that it's not very good.
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:47 am

Man, and I was hoping they'd incorporate it into a Lava Lamp.
~ Terry

Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 4

Post by 111 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:52 pm

I've actually been watching this technology for about 5 years now. I have some skepticism, but I still have high hopes for it and think it is very possible.Cisco and http://purelifi.com/ both have some good presentations.

The current cisco switches will deliver 60 watts of power per port. That is plenty of power for numerous devices. including VDI clients, LED lights, etc. If you think about an office building environment. you can install LED lighting through out the entire building which all connect to POE switches. those LED lights all have a frequency that you can transmit data over. So you can light your building and transmit data all with the same infrastructure. This will also have huge benefits since your lighting system is connected to a data network. you can now control it with software for energy efficiency and whatever else the mind can come up with.

I am also very excited for photonics. I know various vendors are working on photonics and I believe that HP has promised within two generations their Blade server chassis will have a photonics backplane. I believe it is said that 250 petabytes of data can be addressed within a second with a photonic CPU.
Red on Black 12 GSXR 600

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:18 pm

What?
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:52 am

I guess that will be called Pi-Fi. :-)
~ Terry

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:03 am

I wonder about interference from multiple light sources. Will all the lights in the building be transmitting exactly the same thing? If so how will every light be synced? Or how well will the receiving device be able to tolerate shifts in data from multiple sources. If every light is not transmitting the same thing, how will the receiving device handle multiple data streams and will it be able to separate them or will they all just merge and become white noise? Also, how will the device transmit back to the lights. You're going to need a pretty strong light on your phone to be able to transmit back to the lights in the building.

There are a lot of obstacles to over come to make this technology viable for consumer use.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:29 am

This will probably be good for secure rooms, where you aren't moving around a lot. Uploading will be a problem, as Matt said.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:23 am

DarcShadow wrote:I wonder about interference from multiple light sources. Will all the lights in the building be transmitting exactly the same thing? If so how will every light be synced? Or how well will the receiving device be able to tolerate shifts in data from multiple sources. If every light is not transmitting the same thing, how will the receiving device handle multiple data streams and will it be able to separate them or will they all just merge and become white noise? Also, how will the device transmit back to the lights. You're going to need a pretty strong light on your phone to be able to transmit back to the lights in the building.

There are a lot of obstacles to over come to make this technology viable for consumer use.
And in the mean time better technologies that are more reliable are coming online.
111 wrote:I've actually been watching this technology for about 5 years now. I have some skepticism, but I still have high hopes for it and think it is very possible.Cisco and http://purelifi.com/ both have some good presentations.

The current cisco switches will deliver 60 watts of power per port. That is plenty of power for numerous devices. including VDI clients, LED lights, etc. If you think about an office building environment. you can install LED lighting through out the entire building which all connect to POE switches. those LED lights all have a frequency that you can transmit data over. So you can light your building and transmit data all with the same infrastructure. This will also have huge benefits since your lighting system is connected to a data network. you can now control it with software for energy efficiency and whatever else the mind can come up with.

I am also very excited for photonics. I know various vendors are working on photonics and I believe that HP has promised within two generations their Blade server chassis will have a photonics backplane. I believe it is said that 250 petabytes of data can be addressed within a second with a photonic CPU.
I see 0 advantage in running your lighting off of POE
K1600

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:21 am

The largest barrier to adoption that I have seen to newer light based technologies isn't the light tech itself, but it is the massive increase in performance of RF and electric interconnects making the extra cost and constraints of light tech unnecessary. Light generally leads in performance or by having a novel application but never seems to manage to get a cost advantage where the consumer market is concerned. While the more traditional tech lags behind, it manages to keep a steady pace increasing performance as the demand grows. In enterprise and telecom, sure, light has been a staple for a long time because it overcomes some of their unique problems, like copper loss over distance, the number of wires required for a data center, or extreme data rates. In consumer products there will have to be an advantage for the average person before it gets real traction in that market.

Anyway, the whole thing is just a race between light, RF, and copper and we are the winners! Yea us!
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:44 am

Dang...sounds a lot like motorcycle evolution, doesn't it.
~ Terry

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:57 am

What happens with light tech when you want to use it in the dark? Is it on a visible wavelength? It would suck not to be able to use it in the dark.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner