Track day in the rain

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

Track day in the rain

Post by WickerMan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:47 pm

Since it looks like it's going to be wet this weekend in Cresson, can we have a discussion about tracking in the wet. Advice, stories, tips, dos and don'ts sort of thing. I'm on 600-700 mile old Q3s, about 1.5 years old.
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Track day in the rain

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:14 pm

I don't have any advice other than Q3 + rain = not that great

I don't have a problem riding in the rain, I'll never do a track day in the rain, too much risk imo
K1600

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Trackdays in the rain are not that much fun, but you can learn a lot and be amazed at how much grip a bike can have. But if you're not a racer and/or running rain tires, I'd try to avoid it. That being said. I have done a fair number of trackdays that started out fine and ended with rain, and I road in the rain more than a few times. The two best rain days I did were one at ECR, and that was just fun because it was pretty much me and Sckego riding the track hitting crazy fast speeds in the long straights but then pretty much putting through the corners. The other was at Barber in Alabama. Don't know what they put in the asphalt out there but that damn track was nearly as good in the rain as it was dry.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Jenson

Post by Jenson » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:17 am

I had a blast on TWS in the rain. I didn't push it on street tires, but learned a lot. Your tires have a lot more traction in the rain than you think. ~85%. It's just that it all goes away suddenly. I just leaned my body off a little more, and kept the braking and throttle inputs smooth and gradual, kept my arms loose and let the bike squirm. A few pee pee moments but no downs. I have heard that cresson is slick in the rain. Something about the material used in the asphalt.
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That's why God created fast motorcycles, bubba." --Hunter S. Thompson
'02 F4i- Behold the awesome power of zip-ties.

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by Tooner » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Last month at Cresson the 1.3 went all morning and into the afternoon with a fairly constant drizzle. I had a good time on the R6 with S21's. By 2 0r 3 oclock and 14 bike retrievals that day they(someone) called it and we got a little credit back from ridesmart. Yesterday on the 1.7 it was cloudy and not extremely hot, the track was what 8.5/10 but then the first rain hit and those 6 riders went down in 3 different turns, like Olympic synchronized swimming with thrice the pucker factor. I went out with a few level 1.0's in the following session on the CBR1000 with Q3's felt like a sheet of ice underneath me. Took two laps and called it quits. All in all it was a very good day!
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r