ADV, Enduro, Dual Sport

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
Jenson

ADV, Enduro, Dual Sport

Post by Jenson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm done with sport bikes for the time being. Too many close calls, cell phone soccer moms, tickets, arguments with rul crazy cops, lawyer fees, etc. the F4I is now the sole property of my sweet crazy wife. She's getting smarter with age, I am not. There is the track…but during my eighth track day at TWS I saw demolition is indeed beginning. It's depressing really. Paving paradise for more McMansions. A small part of the pervasive rot of the good old USA. I am over it. Some of the best days of my life were at TWS. Cresson ain't goin anywhere. Cresson outlive me. Some other day…
So I have done what many other aging, bald, broken souls of done. I bought an ADV bike – 20 12 KLR – and slapped some nasty SW Motech crash bars on it's flanks.
What a pig this thing is. It's a good street bike in the dirt and a better dirt bike on the street. Banging down interstates 85 mph is like piloting a V1 buzzbomb across the English channel – noisy, vengeful, and with a sneaking suspicion that this contraption will. Eventually. Detonate. Riding fast through mud is comparable to downing a fifth of vodka and trying to screw an alligator. It carves twisties like a stegosaurus on a skateboard. In short, this bike is stupid. In short I love this bike. It does it all and will tractor up and over most obstacles with plow pulling torque at 1400 RPM. It's reliable and simple enough to be trusted and rig, yet rough enough to possess loads of character fresh off the showroom floor. It turns my boring 45 minute commute into a 2–3 hour romp through construction sites, up/down stairs, gravel roads, abandoned neighborhoods and warehouses, creek beds, parking garages, through back alleys and aqueducts, over jumps big enough to bottom out the suspension with a reassuring THUD. I feel like a 9 year old on this thing. I have seen parts of the metroplex I never knew existed. It's been an adventure, and I haven't even taken a long trip yet.
So out of curiosity are there any other ADV/Enduro/dual sport owners here? Any places you like to ride? I know of a few locally that are off the beaten path.
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That's why God created fast motorcycles, bubba." --Hunter S. Thompson
'02 F4i- Behold the awesome power of zip-ties.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: ADV, Enduro, Dual Sport

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:41 pm

GS1200 - I usually just pick a direction and start exploring every side road I can find, sometimes I find some gems, but most of the time I find gates and just crap ass gravel roads.
K1600

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:04 pm

There is a park not too far out of my way home that has an open area with mud and ruts and grass that I occasionally detour into after work to get the bike dirty. Once you've been there one time you've seen it all, but I haven't really found a lot of options, not that I've really spent a lot of time looking.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

Jenson

Post by Jenson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:24 pm

https://sites.google.com/site/texasdualsportroads/

http://www.texasadventure.net/hill-country-day-rides/
Some links

A little fire road and some low water crossings/creek wallows:
8209-8227 Interstate 820 Loop
Where aledo road travels under the i20/820 overpass, go straight- due east.
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That's why God created fast motorcycles, bubba." --Hunter S. Thompson

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Jenson wrote:https://sites.google.com/site/texasdualsportroads/

http://www.texasadventure.net/hill-country-day-rides/
Some links

A little fire road and some low water crossings/creek wallows:
8209-8227 Interstate 820 Loop
Where aledo road travels under the i20/820 overpass, go straight- due east.
been there done that on the DS map, I'm one of the contributors
K1600

Jenson

Post by Jenson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 pm

So no other secret places and basically the metroplex is pretty weak for true dual sport riding, and is getting worse due to rampant urbanization. Blah.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:05 am

you can check out redneck ramble too. I have one of their routes, checked it on satellite and it looked like a lot of gravel to me. I keep saying one fo these days I'm going to throw on knobbies and head down to big bend.
K1600

Valentina
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 0

Post by Valentina » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:02 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:you can check out redneck ramble too. I have one of their routes, checked it on satellite and it looked like a lot of gravel to me. I keep saying one fo these days I'm going to throw on knobbies and head down to big bend.
We wanna go to BIG BEND!!! :-D
Is it just only fun on dirt bikes right???
I mean i wasnt thinking about sportbikes for sure... :D
Stop chasing shadows just enjoy the ride.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:50 pm

Valentina wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:you can check out redneck ramble too. I have one of their routes, checked it on satellite and it looked like a lot of gravel to me. I keep saying one fo these days I'm going to throw on knobbies and head down to big bend.
I've gone like 4x on sport bikes, it's great either way. You just can't see as much from the paved road as you can the gravel/dirt roads but still an awesome trip. If you take the sport bikes do NOT speed in the park.
K1600

Jenson

Post by Jenson » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:55 pm

There are also some trails behind CVS pharmacy in benbrook. There are zero "no trespassing " signs and although I'm sure it ain't legal, I've never been hassled even by the petty benbrook PD. I would like to do big bend soon. Why no speeding there? Lots of cops/park rangers and or wildlife?

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:02 pm

Jenson wrote:There are also some trails behind CVS pharmacy in benbrook. There are zero "no trespassing " signs and although I'm sure it ain't legal, I've never been hassled even by the petty benbrook PD. I would like to do big bend soon. Why no speeding there? Lots of cops/park rangers and or wildlife?
The cops are pricks about the rules and if you get a speeding ticket it gets ratcheted up a notch due to it being federal property - and good luck finding a lawyer to help you fight it.
K1600

Valentina
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Valentina » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:13 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
Valentina wrote:
I've gone like 4x on sport bikes, it's great either way. You just can't see as much from the paved road as you can the gravel/dirt roads but still an awesome trip. If you take the sport bikes do NOT speed in the park.
Why not speed?!:) how much is the penalty? Just joking ...I wouldn't ...

Valentina
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Valentina » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:15 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
Jenson wrote:There are also some trails behind CVS pharmacy in benbrook. There are zero "no trespassing " signs and although I'm sure it ain't legal, I've never been hassled even by the petty benbrook PD. I would like to do big bend soon. Why no speeding there? Lots of cops/park rangers and or wildlife?
The cops are pricks about the rules and if you get a speeding ticket it gets ratcheted up a notch due to it being federal property - and good luck finding a lawyer to help you fight it.
Ouch I just saw your reply...just ignore my message above...:)

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:If you take the sport bikes do NOT speed in the park.
:SideSplittingLaughter: :SideSplittingLaughter: :SideSplittingLaughter: :SideSplittingLaughter:
DR650
Have cool, will travel

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Stardog wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:If you take the sport bikes do NOT speed in the park.
:SideSplittingLaughter: :SideSplittingLaughter: :SideSplittingLaughter: :SideSplittingLaughter:
Ok - Don't get caught speeding in the park
K1600