Recent (sorta) rides..

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Recent (sorta) rides..

Post by fartymarty » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:36 pm

From another thread about a Colorado ride...
JeffStrom wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:58 am Not sure if anyone is even reading this anymore, but....

Yes, I read occasionally but when there isn't much new going on I forget to check in.

So rather than be part of the problem I'll just post some stuff (even if it isn't very interesting to most of you) just to get some activity here.

I rode to Oregon in June to a rally after which a friend and I were supposed to continue on up into the Canadian Rockies. He went to go
pee behind a redwood in Northern California and stepped on a log that collapsed under his weight and down he went and it tore his thigh muscle right off the bone.
Actually, it took some of the bone with it still attached to the muscle. End of trip.
He went home to Houston in someones pickup truck, but his bike ended up in Iowa since there was nobody headed back to Texas with room on their trailer. I decided to head for home
since the Canadian hotels would be costly without a room mate to pay half.
Photos here---->https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/2023-COG ... l/n-CgHM8J

Following that was a couple of hot F- ing months where I would open the front door to get the mail and then as the heat hit me I quickly shut it knowing I wasn't going anywhere on that day.

Finally went on a road trip on 6 wheels over Labor Day weekend to go pick up his bike in Iowa. Only a three day round trip through some of the most boring landscape the U.S. has to offer, but it was great just to be back on the
road again.

In late September I went back to several places that I had previously visited (once with FWMR) to a rally in Springerville AZ. On the way back I was going to try and stop to catch a photo on my odometer
showing 123456, but a buddies bike self destructing on I-10 just a few miles from his home in El Paso sort of cleared my mind of it and by the time I remembered, it had past and it was at 123474. :-o

Photos--->https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/COG-Devi ... 3/n-mBCgDN
Video---> https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/Devils-H ... o/n-X9zvGL

In late October I was lucky in that there were two gatherings in Texas on sequential weekends. A COG rally in Alpine and a MSTA rally in Kerrville, and I joined them together for a 11 day trip for me.
I managed to log 2560 miles without leaving Texas.

Photos and a video---> https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/BBRTT-MSTA-HC/n-TWTGsL

On the way home from Kerrville it was 71 degrees overcast and dry in Fredericksburg, but by the time I got to LLano (38 miles) it was 42 and raining. I love heated gear.

At the MSTA rally drawing I won a T-shirt. I gave it back as it had a 20+ years ago historical significance to the club and I had only been a member for 7 years so I thought it should go to a member that was actually a member back
then. There were at least 5 there that wanted it so they went by seniority. There was also a 50/50 drawing for a children's charity' (I forget which one, maybe miracle network?) which I had purchase tickets for. It was $5 a ticket and a free one for every $20 spent. I purchased $20 worth and my free ticket had the number that was drawn. It could have been $345 in my pocket, but I took my $20 investment out of the stack of bills and said give the rest to the kids. They said that was generous of me
but I said not really, since I took my $20 back I hadn't given those poor kids anything from me, I just gave them everybody else's money. The night was not over, they had a final drawing for the grand prize which was a free three night stay at the Rally Hotel, the Y O hotel in Kerrville. Yep I won that too. I kept that one. People started looking askew at the poor girl doing the ticket drawing. I don't know her, but I felt a little sorry for her.

Anyway, that's all I've got. I hope somebody else posts something more interesting this month. Anybody? Anybody? :shock:

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Recent (sorta) rides..

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:30 pm

Man that is one heck of a pee!!

I think my bike saw pavement about 10 times this past year, jeeps been getting to stretch her legs a lot more than she used to tho.

I'll for sure check out the links, thanks for sharing!
K1600

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:03 pm

I no longer have a bike, or any bicycles, at the moment. Not sure when/if I'll get another. I miss riding, but I no longer enjoy riding sport bikes and when I can I'm up in the mountains in the 4Runner.

I think I need to update my signature.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:11 am

Some good pics there.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

fartymarty
Achievement count: 17

Post by fartymarty » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:15 pm

Wow, this might be the first post on here in 2024 ???...and it's almost February!

Well anyway just to make some use of this months forum hosting fee, ....I rode out to Big Bend area for the annual Fred Boothe Memorial Big Bend Freeze Out ride which has been going on since at least '86. (Although when Fred {ride initiator) was alive it was just called BBFO ride)
As the various riders age out and or pass away the numbers and riders have varied and may now be in a permanent decline, and this year was shortened a day because of weather forecasts. We only had 7 attendees this year. One came in a truck without a bike (previously mentioned Doug injured in June behind the pee tree), 4 showed up with bikes on trailers, and two of us rode all the way, me from Fort Worth and Steve from San Antonio. We met up in Presidio TX. for one evening and then we went our separate ways on Saturday to avoid the forecasted possible ice and snow at our various homes. Doug and I headed for Fredericksburg for an evening of German Food. That night the cold front rolled through and it was 15 degrees when I got up the next morning. Doug took off for Rosenberg TX in his truck and I dawdled about in the motel room trying to put off the ride home a bit longer. However if I was going to beat the Fort Worth afternoon 20% chance of freezing drizzle, I couldn't wait much longer unless I wanted to wait 3 or 4 days....so I finally suited up and left when it was 18 degrees out and rode to Fort Worth. It was 14 degrees in Fort Worth when I arrived about 1:30 PM. My toes got a little cold but except when I stopped for gas and removed my gloves, I was fairly warm most of the trip thanks to heated grips, heated jacket and long underwear with insulated riding pants. It was my all time low temperature ride going by outside temperature, however it was much warmer than my coldest ride ever (shivering) in a surprise thunderstorm icy cold downpour when nearing Las Vegas New Mexico in a Mesh Jacket in June. I think I'm going to invest in some heated socks, perhaps the cheap ones with rechargeable battery packs that only heat the toes.

The seven attendees awaiting dinner at the Oasis restaurant in Presidio TX.
1706157554840.jpg
Saurbratten mit spaetzle un red cabbage at Friedhelm's Bavarian Inn, in Fredericksburg TX.
20240113_184742.jpg

Departure Temp. Sunday morning Fredericksburg.
20240114_092029.jpg

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:41 am

That's too cold to ride.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner