Just a thought.

mattjmartin
Achievement count: 0

Just a thought.

Post by mattjmartin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:35 pm

We need to get a maintenance day scheduled in the near future to get bikes in check before the weather starts getting worse! I wasn't a member last time around, but this seems like a great idea!
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:42 am

:IAgree: we need another one of these this season, anyone want to offer up driveway/garage space and a date for hosting??? I am sure there would be a decent turn out of grateful people and happy bikes :cool:
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:06 am

I'd be happy to but it'd have to be some time after Christmas when the new house is done. ha! Maybe I'll host one next year at the start of riding season.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:18 pm

I don't really have a Garage, I do have a 10 x 10 drive-up Public Storage unit. We could have it there, if you don't mind working on your bike in a parking lot. Shade in the late afternoon and I'm buddies with the office guy for restroom access until 5:00 on Saturdays.
There is a lot of things I want to do to my bike
~ Rear Bearings & Pads.
~ Flush front brake fluid.
~ Chain & Sprockets.
~ I should replace the fork oil/seals.

I've got 35k on the original aforementioned stuff, except chain and pads.
I found my bike takes a set of 3 bearings for the rear, and they are $7 each, so for less than $25, I think it would be a smart thing to do. I could probably just inspect / repack the existing bearings but she's starting to make weird noises - could be my worn out chain/sprockets, but why not be safe, right?
To prioritize, Rear Bearings, rear pads. Next would be front fork oil/seals, front Brake Fluid, front bearings.
Have you ever replaced fork oil and seals? I'd want to talk to you about that. I've never done that sort of maintenance on a bike before.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:42 pm

KC817 wrote:I don't really have a Garage, I do have a 10 x 10 drive-up Public Storage unit. We could have it there, if you don't mind working on your bike in a parking lot. Shade in the late afternoon and I'm buddies with the office guy for restroom access until 5:00 on Saturdays.
There is a lot of things I want to do to my bike
~ Rear Bearings & Pads.
~ Flush front brake fluid.
~ Chain & Sprockets.
~ I should replace the fork oil/seals.

I've got 35k on the original aforementioned stuff, except chain and pads.
I found my bike takes a set of 3 bearings for the rear, and they are $7 each, so for less than $25, I think it would be a smart thing to do. I could probably just inspect / repack the existing bearings but she's starting to make weird noises - could be my worn out chain/sprockets, but why not be safe, right?
To prioritize, Rear Bearings, rear pads. Next would be front fork oil/seals, front Brake Fluid, front bearings.
Have you ever replaced fork oil and seals? I'd want to talk to you about that. I've never done that sort of maintenance on a bike before.
For bearings, I would replace them. I was amazed at how much better the track bike felt with a set from all balls. I have some MISC pullers/bolts and washers that should do the trick. Pads are easy and so is fluid. I've done several sets of GSXR forks before but I have never replaced seals on your bike. Be sure you go with OEM on those though and get seals, wipers AND bushings.

FWIW: I have a huge EX-Up I just purchased for track days that I could bring. I'll probably cage it anyway because I can do my maintenance myself and I am going to bring tools and such.

I also have a tire changer and balancer if anyone needs some tires changed on the cheap!
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."