MSRC - November 6

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
Henry Hester
Achievement count: 0

Re: MSRC - November 6

Post by Henry Hester » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:05 pm

If you're still corner working, I'll be looking for you!

2006 ZX10 SmartBomb. "Hammer on the racetrack. Pace yourself on the street." Nick Ienatsch

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:02 pm

I'm out; Will is riding in my place. I'm just not feeling up to doing a trackday tomorrow. You guys have fun. :(
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

El Diabro
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Sorry you missed it Sckego! But I know Will is glad you did :)

Henry and Cindy, nice to see you guys out there! Cindy, you've come a long way in a short time!

Henry and Will were pretty smooth everytime I saw you guys come through my area!

Oh, and damn, those KTM's were some pretty sweet machines!
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

Henry Hester

Post by Henry Hester » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Thank you and Ms. Cindy thanks you! Will and I had a blast in L2, along with Speedy from SBOSS. There were a few sessions where the checkered flag came too soon. I had a pretty good day. Additional FWMR riders showed around lunch for a drive by. Keagan has a sweet new ride, that's for sure. Cindy had a giant breakthrough day after a session with the suspension tuner. Will had to ride off the track when a teacher lowsided in front of him. All in all, a great last "Cresson Session" of the year.
2006 ZX10 SmartBomb. "Hammer on the racetrack. Pace yourself on the street." Nick Ienatsch

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Glad you guys all came out safe also! I was bummed when we figured there wasn't going to parade laps, because I was hoping to see FWMR out there, but I'm glad you guys all got to get together!

I've got two track days now, all paid for.....can't wait till next season starts!!!!!!!

Henry Hester

Post by Henry Hester » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:14 pm

I bet you liked seeing all the Busas out there. More than I've ever seen!

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Yeah, it was odd to see the two in Lvl 1 at the same time. They started out super slow, but by the end of the day, the maroon/white one was doing a pretty good job of getting around the track.

Henry Hester

Post by Henry Hester » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:06 pm

We've opened the gates... and raised a monster!

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:43 am

Sure was a great day, despite the cold morning and frequent crashes that this seems to cause. I was skating around in the round robin so I wasnt surprised to see some people go down before even one session was over.
What did you Level 2 guys think of my classroom presentation? We had planned to do a visualization exercise after my corner analysis but things were so hectic we skipped it.
I was able to combine video from my helmet cam with my data logger. Heres the first video to show the result:

I'll post another one later today.
And this is me for those of you who I havent met:
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

Henry Hester

Post by Henry Hester » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:10 pm

I liked your corner presentation. Cool & concise. I really learned a lot this time about the entry to the rattlesnake section up through the inside. Last trackday (before this one), the round robin went to hell without enough instructors so I never got a good view of the correct entry line. Spent the whole day sweeping wide and turning in when I should have been braking straight and double axpexing the very first part.

On your data... red is speed and black is RPM?

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback Henry.
Red is speed - black is throttle postion. Next time I'll record brake pressure also. For some reason the logger didnt record that data this time.
Shaun in McKinney

2track
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Pretty cool Rc30fan ! I would like to see that with the brake pressure as well !

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Interesting... It feels like you're at full throttle a lot more often the logger shows. You can also really see where you need to work on smoothness through the corners... at 1:02 and 2:40, you can see where you really roll off and lose speed through the triple left, instead of having a gradual increase all the way through (not sure if that was the oil affecting your line enough that you had to vary your speed like that)... I bet if you put it on a new rider's bike you'd see huge spikes and troughs all through that triple left, wagon wheel, etc.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:29 pm

The main reason for the erratic throttle was to avoid getting too close to the student I was following. It may not look like it but I was closer than I wanted to be on a few occasions.
I'm working on video of the next few laps now. This will show me in front guiding him through the faster line. We'll see if the throttle usage is any smoother...
Shaun in McKinney

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 pm

Lap 2, waiting for the student to catch up in a few places.

Shaun in McKinney

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:15 pm

That was a fun day at the track, even though it was slick all day long. I only had two little off road excursions... The first was going into wagon wheel, and I accidentally upset the bike and broke the rear wheel loose, about low-sided. When the rear wheel grabbed, it didn't feel right, so to not risk high-siding by trying to continue the corner, I stood her up and took her thru the grass.

My second off road excursion was due to Tony (instructor) low siding in front of me. He low-sided in horseshoe, and was right in my line, so I stood it up and went in the grass to keep from running him over. Tony's bike took a couple of flips once it hit the grass, and wasn't beat up to bad. He was ok, and road it back around the track to the paddock, after I helped him pick it up. I wasn't close enough to get the whole thing on video, but I do have the bike flipping thru the air as I come around horseshoe. I talked to Tony after that session, and he was good, but apparently twisted or sprained his ankle in the crash.

So with a couple of trips into the grass, sliding all over the place, and in general having fun, it was good day at the track and a great way to finish out this years track season. Thanks to skego for letting me take his spot since he couldn't make it.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino