Helmets on sale?

nomad
Achievement count: 2

Helmets on sale?

Post by nomad » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:45 am

I'm looking to upgrade my helmet from a speed and strength to a shoei or arai, and I was curious if there was a website or store I can go to get one at a good price. Right now I'm not looking to spend $400+ on a helmet and extra visor. Is this feasible? I've looked at cycle gear's site, revzilla, motorcycle superstore, and new enough but haven't really had any luck. I have thought about going to motor liberty but they are far from where I live and don't want to make that drive to find out they don't have anything in my price range.
fixxervi6 wrote:is it shaved?

yes, it matters

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Re: Helmets on sale?

Post by milesmiles » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:49 am

Look for the shoei rf1100 model. Might be able to find one under 400, but i think it would be fairly hard to get that & an extra visor for under $400. Also ebay! Find the size you wear & shop it on ebay
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:32 am

First, I second what Miles said, especially fitting and eBay.

Second, you'll likely get a lot of opinions...so be prepared. Helmets are very personal to some people...not so much to others.

I tried on a lot of helmets this last week. I'm an Arai guy, 100%, and that was confirmed yet again during this exercise. The downside...you pay for the fit and quality.

I tried on several Shoei models (along with others), and they just don't fit me as well. And the sizing is different between Shoei's different models, so trying helmets on (either at a shop, or somethign a friend has), is very important. Most any shop can get you some access, though locally Moto Liberty is best based on my experience.

After the expensive X12, I liked the RF1200 the best, but I recall noticing that it didn't seem like there was enough ear clearance...and this becomes as issue if you want to add speakers for a com system (a lot of us use them).

I shop Arai on eBay regularly, always looking for something cool, unique, and a bargain.

What size do you wear? What color pallette are you most interested in?

Here are a few eBay links on top of the line Corsair V models - this will get you in the ballpark, though these are "slightly used" models - you'll get the idea:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arai-Motorcycle ... 47&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arai-Corsair-V- ... 234917befd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This should get you a lot of good choices on the Signet model...but just search Arai on eBay and you can find a ton of options. Same with Shoei for that matter.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 1250&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go to Arai Americas to view different models and paint schemes, then search eBay for a deal. I missed a deal on a helmet this last week I'm still pissed about...$500 for a new Corsair V a guy in Texas says he received as a gift that didn't fit...I watched, he relisted, I was going to low-ball offer him, and the $900 helmet sold for $500. If you go the eBay route, just be patient.

Regardless, good choice to step up to one of these two brands in my opinion...they are the best based on my wearing and fitting experience.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:40 am

I'm hoping Shoei will release the photochromatic shield soon for the RF-1100's (CW-1). It was supposedly supposed to be released last year, but still not out. I will gladly pay for them for BD and I, not having to swap shields will be amazing!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

nomad

Post by nomad » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:05 am

As far as designs and color goes I'm open to black, white, or most things that don't look gangsta. Icon had some designs that I like but I have read that their quality isn't that good so I decided to look towards arai and shoei. I definitely have to try some on, but I figured I would wait until I could find some in my price range.

I like my speed and strength but the chin strap is wearing out, and the pads don't fit as good as they did 1,000s of miles ago.

yes, it matters

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:17 am

Have you looked at a scorpion? I've actually only heard good things about them, the only thing i don't like is their logo on the front. I can't say anything about the street helmets personally, but i do own a dirt bike helmet of theirs. I'm extremely impressed by the fit, quality & materials.

Scorpion does have a lot of gimmicks, like the sun shield that comes down & air pump for better fit. While i would have bought my helmet without the air pump if they had it, i found that it was very much of quality & i liked the idea. Only reason i dont' use it is because it already fit so well, but i'm sure once it wears out a bit i'll be using it.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

Pooty
Achievement count: 0

Post by Pooty » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:18 am

i tried the Shoei rf1200 too noisy

the Shoei GT Air is super quiet--tight fit though

nomad

Post by nomad » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:10 am

Does anyone know if and what kind of discounts would be available at the motorcycle show this weekend?

yes, it matters

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:13 am

There are usually some pretty good deals on the previous model year lids. Current/new models are usually about the same as what you'd pay in store or online.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:14 am

There are usually some pretty good deals on the previous model year lids. Current/new models are usually about the same as what you'd pay in store or online. At the very least it'd be a great chance to try on several different options.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:19 am

I went from speed and strength to bell star

I don't care for my arai, wore it like twice, I'd be willing to let it go cheap to anyone that can fit in it.
K1600

nomad

Post by nomad » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:21 am

DarcShadow wrote:There are usually some pretty good deals on the previous model year lids. Current/new models are usually about the same as what you'd pay in store or online. At the very least it'd be a great chance to try on several different options.
Do you know about how much off? 20%, 40% etc.

Also I've never been to a show like this, does arai and shoei have booths?

yes, it matters

nomad

Post by nomad » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:22 am

fixxervi6 wrote:I went from speed and strength to bell star

I don't care for my arai, wore it like twice, I'd be willing to let it go cheap to anyone that can fit in it.
What size is it? Do you have a photo?

yes, it matters

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:22 am

You have a big head fixxer

Nomad, it may have changed, but honestly i've never been more disappointed in the deals offered at the shows. I didn't really find anything
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:49 am

nomad wrote:

What size is it? Do you have a photo?
Not sure what size, off hand I would guess XL or XXL, no pics currently, it's at home and I'm at the office.
K1600

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:51 am

Have an little older Arai RX7 (Corsair), never used, it sits in a display case. Size SMALL, but new condition. It was wife's helmet, but she wore her old one instead. I have one that matches it that I still wear sometime.

It's a Kenny Roberts Jr. Double-Eagle...red/white/blue and black... a really sweet paint job. If you can wear a small, I'd consider selling it, as I can put my helmet like it in the display case.

Here's a picture...remember, it's a small. The MFG date will be several years ago, but it's never been worn. It's the middle of the three...the back of the helmet is the sharpest looking part, but you can't see it.
Attachments
Arai helmets.jpg
Arai helmets.jpg (50.59 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
~ Terry

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:52 am

nomad wrote:
DarcShadow wrote:There are usually some pretty good deals on the previous model year lids. Current/new models are usually about the same as what you'd pay in store or online. At the very least it'd be a great chance to try on several different options.
Do you know about how much off? 20%, 40% etc.

Also I've never been to a show like this, does arai and shoei have booths?
Yeah, usually. And then there are shops that have an array of lids for sale.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:55 am

I know motoliberty is going to be there
K1600

nomad

Post by nomad » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:57 am

My speed and strength is a medium. My HJC was a medium as well. I'm going to assume I will be a medium in other manufacturers as well.

yes, it matters

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Check out the show this weekend. Deals are going to depend on who's selling. Be sure to actually talk to the guys at each retailer. Sometimes, they'll have stuff stowed away with good deals on it, or will have a better deal they can make
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

nomad

Post by nomad » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:58 pm

WillK675 wrote:Check out the show this weekend. Deals are going to depend on who's selling. Be sure to actually talk to the guys at each retailer. Sometimes, they'll have stuff stowed away with good deals on it, or will have a better deal they can make

I'll be there. Does anyone know if it is cash only, or if the vendors will accept plastic?

yes, it matters

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:03 pm

nomad wrote:
WillK675 wrote:Check out the show this weekend. Deals are going to depend on who's selling. Be sure to actually talk to the guys at each retailer. Sometimes, they'll have stuff stowed away with good deals on it, or will have a better deal they can make

I'll be there. Does anyone know if it is cash only, or if the vendors will accept plastic?
Again, it's going to depend on the dealer. Most will accept plastic. You may find some of the smaller vendors that will make a better deal if using cash.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

nomad

Post by nomad » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Thank you.

yes, it matters

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:59 pm

nomad wrote:My speed and strength is a medium. My HJC was a medium as well. I'm going to assume I will be a medium in other manufacturers as well.
I'm medium Arai, had to go to large on several Shoei's.
~ Terry

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:29 pm

Fitment is key. Trying them on is the best. Without the cheek pads is better. I have an oblong shaped head, so I had 3 choices, a Bell, an AGV, and an Arai. I went with the Signet-Q. I don't feel it was worth the $$$$$. Not the quietest I've had, not the most comfortable I've had, but with the proper sized cheekpads, it was more expensive than the 1st 3 combined.

Try them on first, and then shop for price. I found Moto liberty was the same as online, so I bought with them.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"