Sena Stealth

Polokid69
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 23

Sena Stealth

Post by Polokid69 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:09 pm

http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/10u/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current Bike:
KTM RC390

Previous Bikes:
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
1983 Kawasaki GPZ550
1980 Yamaha RD400
1978 Yamaha DT 125
1978 Yamaha YZ 125
1975 Yamaha DT 100

LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Re: Sena Stealth

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:57 pm

And handlebar remote...compatible with 20s.

http://www.sena.com/product/controls/handlebarremote/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

stoney812
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 14

Post by stoney812 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:59 am

Man, Sena is just going nuts will all these new gadgets and innovations to their lineup. Good for them!

Speaking of Sena, I've been reading that the 20S will let you do music and intercom at the same time, and and since most of the group seems to have the 20S, I'm just curious if any of you have done that, and how well does it work?

I love my SMH-10, but my only complaint with the SMH-10 is you get music or intercom and not both, and there is that delay when switching between music and intercom, which is annoying. I'd love to be able to stay on intercom and talk, but have some music playing in the background between chatting, and I'm wondering how well the 20S does it. Fingers crossed maybe Sena will release another firmware update for the SMH-10 that would support this, but if not, is it worth the upgrade?
Jason

2017 Yamaha FZ-09, 2018 Honda CRF250L, 1997 Kawasaki KX125

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:08 am

stoney812 wrote:Man, Sena is just going nuts will all these new gadgets and innovations to their lineup. Good for them!

Speaking of Sena, I've been reading that the 20S will let you do music and intercom at the same time, and and since most of the group seems to have the 20S, I'm just curious if any of you have done that, and how well does it work?

I love my SMH-10, but my only complaint with the SMH-10 is you get music or intercom and not both, and there is that delay when switching between music and intercom, which is annoying. I'd love to be able to stay on intercom and talk, but have some music playing in the background between chatting, and I'm wondering how well the 20S does it. Fingers crossed maybe Sena will release another firmware update for the SMH-10 that would support this, but if not, is it worth the upgrade?
My problem is they are always rock solid with 3 coms, beyond 3 they get flakey, the 10 was the same damn way, I wish they would fix that.
K1600

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:28 am

stoney812 wrote:Man, Sena is just going nuts will all these new gadgets and innovations to their lineup. Good for them!

I used that feature on my last ride. Worked pretty well. Turns the volume down as chatter comes over the intercom. With some mics though, the channel stays mostly open.

My biggest complaint is the volume of android alerts, like the maps voice. Not the same volume as the music so it can be hard to hear at speed.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:52 am

JTChiTown wrote:
My biggest complaint is the volume of android alerts, like the maps voice. Not the same volume as the music so it can be hard to hear at speed.
I know that i use to have the opposite on my phone, it was too loud and hurt my ears. I have an iphone, but i went in and could change the settings for the map voice. Wonder if yours has that option as well?
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:26 am

JTChiTown wrote:My biggest complaint is the volume of android alerts, like the maps voice. Not the same volume as the music so it can be hard to hear at speed.
Same problem with iPhone...my SMH10r had great alert volume for say the phone ringing, the 20s not so much. Maybe there is a setting I haven't taken time to learn yet.

Also, there was excessive "interference" with three or four of us connected. Fixxer theorized it was other Bluetooth devices around us causing it. Again, I never had that on the old one.
~ Terry

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:25 pm

If you guys can write these issues down and send them to me I'll raise them with my engineer contact at Sena. They've made firmware changes based on my feedback in the past.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:27 pm

RC30rdr wrote:If you guys can write these issues down and send them to me I'll raise them with my engineer contact at Sena. They've made firmware changes based on my feedback in the past.
That's my biggest complaint - once you get past 3 headsets it becomes unstable, we constantly have to reset the group.

I assume the coms are using 2.4Ghz channel as well, if this is the case that explains all of the cracking and popping sounds we get, 2.4Ghz is very very dirty.
K1600

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:59 pm

This is an interesting coincidence. While writing an email to Sena about this just now I got a response from a new person in their engineering dept. about a problem I've been having with the Prism camera.

In order to raise a new issue I need evidence. Will you be able to get video on the upcoming street ride with the gopro Backpack? If you can get video that records the disconnects that will add a lot of weight to the issue. Also info on things like location - city streets vs. rural areas and any other contributing factors will make a big difference on their response.
Shaun in McKinney

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:53 pm

RC30rdr wrote:This is an interesting coincidence. While writing an email to Sena about this just now I got a response from a new person in their engineering dept. about a problem I've been having with the Prism camera.

In order to raise a new issue I need evidence. Will you be able to get video on the upcoming street ride with the gopro Backpack? If you can get video that records the disconnects that will add a lot of weight to the issue. Also info on things like location - city streets vs. rural areas and any other contributing factors will make a big difference on their response.
I can try, we have a ride coming up that I will most likely be tail on, but we may only have two com's on, issue happens when a few coms are connected.
K1600

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:06 am

On the TXSR ride we had interference when it was just Rick and I on coms. At the time, all of the issues the two of us were having was due to line of sight. As soon as he'd crest a hill, enter a turn, or even if the other riders all got in line, the coms would become weak.
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 am

Yes, good point, I now remember commenting during the ride about how we'd start losing coms once someone crested even the slightest hill, and sometimes without a lot of distance between us. Again, an issue that was not present on the SMH10r.

This was my first day using the 20s, and if I were doing a blind comparison from strictly a riding perspective, I'd have said the 20s was the older of the two units for sure. The phone app is cool and all, and of course being able to connect to more is one of the very major pluses, but as it stands, the performance on mine is lacking.

And again, I've spent zero time learning anything about mine, so some of it could be my fault.
~ Terry

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:40 am

Highly doubtful that any of it is your fault. The 20's do lose communication when the riders are not in line of sight. On that last ride, if Rick was a few miles down the road but I could still see him, we still had communication but as soon as he wasn't visible, we were cut off. With Jim behind me, only the two of us were still on comms. As long as those that are paired up stay in sight of at least the rider closest to them (behind them), I think the comms would not disconnect.

The 10 was the same way but I think it stayed connected a little longer than the 20's when one rider was out of sight. Both the 10 and 20 have issues with more than 3 people. It becomes all crackly and noisy. For some reason, Jim gets the lemon headsets. This last ride, it kept disconnecting and then reconnecting him to the group (that was with 4 people).
Chance favors the prepared mind.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 am

I know when Rick, Miles and me used the 10s on our ride at the 3 sisters we had quite a bit of distance between us and could not see each other and were still able to talk. Wonder if antenna orientation on the 20s isn't quite right.

Have you all ever tried leaving the antenna in it's down position to see if that make a difference, good or bad?
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:29 am

Shaun, can you get some information from Sena on the optimal settings and pairing order we should use when linking up multiple riders? That way we can test with everyone using the same settings.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:06 pm

dufremle wrote:Shaun, can you get some information from Sena on the optimal settings and pairing order we should use when linking up multiple riders? That way we can test with everyone using the same settings.

Will do.
To do this, I need to know what settings everyone is using. If you can, load the Sena device manager and look at your settings. Post them here to let me know and I'll send this info to Sena and see if they can help.

For example, this is what my 20S' are all running:
Shaun in McKinney

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:39 pm

I figured it would be easier to do screenshots:
Screenshot_2015-07-10-16-23-38.png

Screenshot_2015-07-10-16-23-45.png
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:17 pm

Well I had video of the backback joined in with the senas with all of the interference and it dropping a few times but my edit is all messed up.

I'm not sure what the video tell sena, we are all talking going down the road, then it drops... wash rinse repeat - it's so frequent it's not shocking at all when it happens. I would say at least 20+ times on a single ride is common even when we maintain line of site.

Drop back to just 3 connected, rock solid.
K1600

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:51 pm

i need that video. can you upload the unedited version to youtube?
Shaun in McKinney

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:57 pm

RC30rdr wrote:i need that video. can you upload the unedited version to youtube?
No, it's HUGE

I guess I'll just re-edit and re-render again. Not sure why it failed the first time.
K1600

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:53 pm

this is pretty much how it works (short version)

https://youtu.be/2aEuwu0XsYE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No errors, no beeps, your just talking away and then you discover at some point your by yourself or half the people are no longer connected.

The "organizer" that hooked up all of the Sena's needs to "re pair" everyone by disabling/enabling group intercom via voice prompt, this usually puts everyone back on for a little while until it's next failure.

What we find interesting is the failure rate with more than 3 headsets is guaranteed 100% - how Sena doesn't know about this blows my mind. We've just gotten used to it, it's normal to go "oh, dropped again" then you wait.

In the video when Pete got dropped - his headset was still blinking green, but still wasn't connected in.

When you connect only 3, it's solid.

Interference is a really bad issue and you can hear it loudly in some of the clip.

As much as I like sena, if there was a competing product on the market that I thought would be stable, I would have never wen to the 20S.
K1600

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:19 pm

I was listening to music on my phone while connected to Rick on our way to Sonic and many times the Sena would not pick up that I was talking or when Rick was talking. I turned off my Bluetooth so my phone wasn't connected to the Sena and there were no issues after that. This also happened on Terry's ride. I was listening to music on his ride while connected to him, JIm, and Rick and Rick was under the impression I was pissed because I wasn't talking. It wasn't that I wasn't talking, it was that the Sena wasn't picking it up and allowing them to hear me or picking them up and allowing me to hear them. I just won't listen to music while connected to others since I don't know how to fix that. Was anyone listening to music on yesterdays ride that may be causing interference with the Sena and us talking?
Chance favors the prepared mind.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:11 am

Is that "popping" sound at the start of the clip the interference you are talking about? Being the connection is digital you shouldn't hear interference, you'd just drop connection or it'd go silent. The popping sound maybe some other issue Sena needs to work out.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:23 am

DarcShadow wrote:Is that "popping" sound at the start of the clip the interference you are talking about? Being the connection is digital you shouldn't hear interference, you'd just drop connection or it'd go silent. The popping sound maybe some other issue Sena needs to work out.
popping and cracking is interference, these operate on 2.4Ghz is my assumption so I would expect interference, being digital I would expect more "robot" voice problems with interference like a VoIP system but it's hard to tell how their stuff is setup.
K1600