Feet placement

Blinker
Achievement count: 0

Feet placement

Post by Blinker » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:03 pm

Wasn't sure where to ask this question as I didn't see a General Riding section so please move to where appropriate.

My question is on feet placement. I don't want to get in a bad habit and was wondering if the correct placement for the foot on the peg is on the ball of the foot or on the arch. When I’m riding it feels most natural for me to keep the balls of the feet on the peg and just slide down when I need to shift or brake. I’ve tried resting the arch of my foot on the peg but it feels un-natural and like my foot is trapped. I don't have issues with finding the shifter or the brake (yay for many years of enduro riding and keeping most everything being in the same place ;) ) but I don't want to get into a bad habit for street riding and when I finally make it out to a track.

Thanks in adv for yall's help
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:28 pm

Don't worry, you're doing it right. Stay on your toes, and drop your foot down to shift and then right back up again. Sometimes I'll drop down to my arches jsut for a change of position on a long ride, but it's generally considered good practice to stay on the balls of your feet.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Yep, balls of the feet are the way to go. The only time I ever shift to arch of foot is for shifting / braking, or to raise up when going over bumps, RR tracks, etc. I know on that Fazer it's a bit harder to get the feel down, as you have the same wide rubber-topped pegs like I had on the Katana, but sounds like you've got it right.

Keep on your toes, and you're also able to respond quicker to shift your weight. Just slide your foot forward to shift and move it back again. Another good reason for new track riders to do this IMHO is to keep you from messing with your gears or touching your back brake while you're leaned over.

Good question! More! :grin:
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

digi

Post by digi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Nooooooooooo... you both are WRONG WRONG WRONG...

Your FEET go on the HANDLEBARS. If not on the HANDLEBARS, then surely the SEAT.

Get it right!

Joe: in all seriousness, I had this same discussion with firewa11, and it made all the difference in the world on the track.
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Definitely much easier to control and faster transitions if you are on the balls of your feet rather than the arches.

I had a friend who wanted to try out dirt biking and when he went to jump was on his arches instead of the balls of his feet. When he landed the force broke one of his metatarsal bone. I didn't witness this but that's what his story was while he was healing in a cast for six weeks :)
2005 Yamaha Raven R1
2006 Honda Pearl White VFR800 Interceptor
2003 Kawasaki Kawi Green and Red ZXR636
1996 Honda Yellow CBR600 F3
1991 Honda Hawk

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:52 pm

The Doctor wrote:I had a friend who wanted to try out dirt biking and when he went to jump was on his arches instead of the balls of his feet. When he landed the force broke one of his metatarsal bone. I didn't witness this but that's what his story was while he was healing in a cast for six weeks :)
Ouch!!!
ImageImageImage

Blinker

Post by Blinker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:59 pm

uuuu that does sound like no fun. Thanks for all the replies! The rubber pegs aren't much for grip confidence but it will have to do until i can upgrade the bike or change the pegs lol... altho i've learned that no matter what the feet placement is... the palomar mnt pass is not fun on cornering this time of year... snow... sucks!... and is very cold.. not that i fell but the melting snow trickling into the road made for a slower pace :-/
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:38 pm

as above except that some racers/trackday warriors recommend having the outside foot (in a corner) hanging on the boot heel. Better feedback/control or something like that. I've experimented but still doesn't feel right - I have bugger all weight on the outside foot as it is so it feels weird.
Kawasaki zx-10r ('06)

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Hrm... there may be something to that, but for trail braking while going into / leaned over in a turn. I was working a corner at the races today at Oak Hill on turn 6, which gives a good overlook view of the track. It's amazing what the expert racers can do, sliding their bike sideways and setting it right in.

Oh yeah, Ty Howard set another lap record at Oak Hill today!
ImageImageImage

digi

Post by digi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:23 pm

Sliding is easy for me... It's all ass movement.

I don't know if sliding will be as easy for me when I adopt a better body positioning... My main thing is keeping myself off the sides of my tires.
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.