PC needed for slip on?

Prozzak2622
Achievement count: 0

PC needed for slip on?

Post by Prozzak2622 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:55 pm

I am wanting my bike to have a lil more ROAR when I am going down the road and deffinately dont have the money for a full system. If I go with a slip on will I need the power commander? Any advice on exhaust?

fireblade
Achievement count: 46

Post by fireblade » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:14 pm

as far as I know you shouldnt need a PC for a slip on. Just get a slip-on that has a nice sound you like. Nothing worse than buying a pipe and you hate the sound. I just got a 2 bro's "slip-on" installed on my bike and I love the sound but its just a little loud. Nothing ear plugs cant fix.
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:29 pm

Yeah, you don't need a pc. You can get a new map loaded if your willing to spend the money, but it's not necissary.

I just got a two bro's also, and I like it. I did have a new (non-custom) map loaded for it, and I did get a little more power in the lower rpms. But thats going to depend on your bike also.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:48 pm

Hey Will, I didn't realize how loud your exhaust was until I was behind you on 377. Once we got separated by traffic I thought 'wow, it just got quiet'. It was also a lot easier to concentrate on what I was doing. Guess I'm going to have to stay behing quite bikes.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Yeah, I like it. :))

But I always forget my earplugs and constantly curse myself. I got lucky and found a pair in the pocket of my jacket just before we hit 377 back. I was so glad I did, my ears were killing me.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Prozzak2622

Post by Prozzak2622 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:37 pm

Thats what I am afraid of... I ride my bike to work and any other time possible and dont want to get tired of hearing the exhaust, but the stock exhaust is just not doing it for me.. Thanks for the reply guys!!

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:44 pm

I don't get tired of the exhaust. For me, it's a combination of the exhaust and wind on my helmet. If it weren't for the wind noise at 60+ I could deal with the sound of the exhaust.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:50 am

To get back on track and answer your question, the purpose of a power commander is to better flatten out all of the peaks and valleys you have in your horsepower graph (dyno).

When you have a stock exhaust, headers, etc, the fuel / air ratios are finely tuned for that configuration. When you change something, such as the pipe (which a lot of times also takes out the catalytic converter), headers, etc, the fuel / air ratios are no longer valid. The back pressure is going to be a little different, and your dyno graph will probably go from a nice fluid curvy line to something a bit more erratic. What this means is that when you're getting on the throttle, you may have dips or peaks in horsepower where you didn't before. Honestly you may never feel the difference. I could on my GSX-R 750, and when I put a better map on, it cleared out the sudden power drop and spike I had between 8200 and 8600 rpm.

Going back to what everyone said, this does not mean that you have to install a PC. Really what it boils down to, is it worth the extra $$$ to you for a less erratic and more smooth power curve on the throttle, potentially a few more HP (like 1-5), and a cool little box that you can hook up to a laptop and play with your fuel / air mixture?

I personally have a PC on my race bike, but since I'm running stock on my street bike, there's no reason for me to put one in. If I changed out the can, I would probably install a PC not too long down the road.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:16 am

you could always change it out, and then if you notice some weird peaks or dips in power have a PC put in later.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals