Has anyone used Throttlemeister

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Has anyone used Throttlemeister

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:54 pm

I've looked around on suzuki sites to see what other GSXR users are putting on for throttle lock and this gets lots of good feedback.

Planning some long trips and the biggest problem I have with large amounts of seat time is the throttle hand, this looks like a pretty good solution thats "out of the way" and not a bother when I don't want it.

http://throttlemeister.com
K1600

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider

Re: Has anyone used Throttlemeister

Post by Dragonfly » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Don't like anything that locks the throttle in any position on the bike. In an emergency situation you just need to take your weight of the throttle and it automatically returns to the closed position. Are you going to remember to twist the locking bar end to release the throttle from its locked position? If your thinking of taking a trip on a bike and are thinking of getting cruise control for the trip, stop and drive your car!

If your hand cramps when riding for long periods, your doing it wrong. Your either putting too much weight on your hands, or your gripping the bars too tight. 9 out of 10 times if your gripping the bars to tight its because your riding above your head. You should have a loose grip on the bars it should be like your just resting your hand on the bars. Elbows should also be loose not locked, your back slightly slouched and your junk about and inch off you tank, but grip your tank with your knees. This will help with getting your weight off your hands and loosen your grip.

If that doesn't work then stop and rest at regular intervals. My .02
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Dragonfly wrote:Don't like anything that locks the throttle in any position on the bike. In an emergency situation you just need to take your weight of the throttle and it automatically returns to the closed position. Are you going to remember to twist the locking bar end to release the throttle from its locked position? If your thinking of taking a trip on a bike and are thinking of getting cruise control for the trip, stop and drive your car!

If your hand cramps when riding for long periods, your doing it wrong. Your either putting too much weight on your hands, or your gripping the bars too tight. 9 out of 10 times if your gripping the bars to tight its because your riding above your head. You should have a loose grip on the bars it should be like your just resting your hand on the bars. Elbows should also be loose not locked, your back slightly slouched and your junk about and inch off you tank, but grip your tank with your knees. This will help with getting your weight off your hands and loosen your grip.

If that doesn't work then stop and rest at regular intervals. My .02
It doesn't actually "lock" you can roll the throttle off. I've never used anything like this so I'm iffy, maybe check out that cramp buster one to see if it works, its cheap and doesn't lock. One company has a version out that unlocks if you touch your brake called the brakeaway.

My problem comes in when I'm running LOONG periods of static throttle, like back roads down to austin I won't have a problem, highway back, I hurt. It's just the muscles in my forearm from holding the throttle open, in one posistion start to get stiff. No wrist pain, just forearm gets all tight from just holding it in one spot for hours.

I try to alternate, lots of times I'll hook one finger over the throttle then change out fingers but that still sucks juice out of the forearm. Sometimes I do like a scissor grip with one finger over the throttle and one finger under and let it roll back and use the friction of the glove to hold the throttle open but if I hit a bump or something it snaps shut.

Even if I keep my fingers open, and don't grip the bar at all I have to weight the grip then to keep it open. My hands don't cramp or hurt, my forearm does from just holding it open.

This isn't to fix any issues I have with club rides or even long rides, 300, 400 miles, no problem, but put me on the highway for a few hours, and I'm dying. I want something thats out of the way entirely until I go to put some long highway miles down and this looked like it might fit the bill but I'm iffy about accidental engangement with this one.

It's kind of pricey for something I would only use a few times a year tho, and there is of course, the safety factor.

When we came back from Austin all the way up 35 your forearm didn't bother you at all???
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:42 pm

I have been toying with the idea of a cruise control for my bike. The thing I have going for me though is they make stock concorse 14's with and option for it. I have thought about finding a wrecked one to get it off of the bike and make it work on mine as they are the same in alot of ways. If I could do that then it would be electronic and would disengage when you hit the brakes or clutch. Still trying to decide if I want it though.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:28 am

Maddox has this one on his bike, msg him and see what he thinks
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:18 am

Cheaper and safer:

http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utiliti ... ntrol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're welcome to borrow mine and try it out if you want.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 am

Rhino wrote:Cheaper and safer:

http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utiliti ... ntrol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're welcome to borrow mine and try it out if you want.
I like it, and best of all you just take it off when you don't want it!
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:37 am

I'm with Dragonfly, you should be able to do the ride with out hurting. I've done 900+ mile trips and never had an issue. That being said, I can see where it would be nice to take your hand off the grip occasionally, so I would suggest something like Rhino's thing, but only use it when you need the break and leave it off for the majority of the trip.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 am

Exactly. I keep one on my Versys all the time. It looks a little funny, but it works good. Grabbing the brake or rolling off the throttle makes it slide back around to where it's not engaged.

There is another type of throttle lock called a Brake Away that is pretty much a perfect implementation, it works just like a car cruise. Tiny tap of the front brake and it disengages. Downside is you can't use it with heated grips (which I have on the Versys). Also it's like $200.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:57 am

If your looking for something like that then try this... much cheaper. Well nevermind I just checked it out and they are 20 now also. I picked one just like that up from D2moto for 2.00 a little while back.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:58 am

DarcShadow wrote:I'm with Dragonfly, you should be able to do the ride with out hurting. I've done 900+ mile trips and never had an issue. That being said, I can see where it would be nice to take your hand off the grip occasionally, so I would suggest something like Rhino's thing, but only use it when you need the break and leave it off for the majority of the trip.
Its kind of like cruise in a car, if you drive 1200 miles in a car with no cruise your leg is going to be killing you, no matter how lightly you try to press the peddle down.

I like Rhino's solution because its cheap, and I can throw it in a bag, I plan on NOT using this thing 99% of the time even for long rides, but there is that 1% that the $20 will be well spent.
K1600

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:59 am

Rhino wrote:Exactly. I keep one on my Versys all the time. It looks a little funny, but it works good. Grabbing the brake or rolling off the throttle makes it slide back around to where it's not engaged.

There is another type of throttle lock called a Brake Away that is pretty much a perfect implementation, it works just like a car cruise. Tiny tap of the front brake and it disengages. Downside is you can't use it with heated grips (which I have on the Versys). Also it's like $200.
Yea thats the one I was talking about, the brake away, problem with that thing is not just cost, its the installation, its more perminent not somethign I want on a crotch rocket since a lot of the times I move my hands to the inside of the grip, well, actually I'm always moving my hand all over the grip when I'm doing sillyness so I don't want anything on there. BUT, it is a nice bit o kit.
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:02 am

Man if your leg is killing you from driving, and your arm hurts from riding you need to hit the gym and quit being such a pansy. Untill I got my truck a few years ago, I never had cruise control and made countless trips of 1200 to 1500 miles or more in one day.

Kids these days, next you'll be wanting to drive your car from the back seat with your iPhone.

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:10 am

:icon_whs0be: :SideSplittingLaughter:

I didn't want to be the one to mention the trip to Barber and back in my standard-transmission Focus with no cruise control. :D

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:13 am

I've had cruise control since my second car and my office chair is soft.

I don't like to suffer when I don't have to :moon:
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:13 am

:-P

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:00 pm

DarcShadow wrote::-P
Not gonna work this time, I already ordered it :D
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:48 pm

doesn't change the fact that you are a big :-P

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:51 pm

DarcShadow wrote:doesn't change the fact that you are a big :-P
I am what I eat
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:53 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
DarcShadow wrote:doesn't change the fact that you are a big :-P
I am what I eat
Happy wife, happy life.

sauter0966
Achievement count: 0

Post by sauter0966 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:17 pm

DarcShadow wrote:Kids these days, next you'll be wanting to drive your car from the back seat with your iPhone.
Is that some sort of question? :-?
:icon_woohoo:

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 pm

I agree man...today's youth need to toughen up. I didn't have cruise control or power windows. Nothing says gangsta like leaning over to roll down the passenger window :)
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:50 pm

I do have to say the youth do have it alot easier.... but on the driving from the back seat thing... Well I dont want that at all. I want to sit in the back seat and say ..."car take me home" and the car does it. Get an extra hour going to work then and extra hour on the way home.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:52 pm

DemonDuck wrote:I do have to say the youth do have it alot easier.... but on the driving from the back seat thing... Well I dont want that at all. I want to sit in the back seat and say ..."car take me home" and the car does it. Get an extra hour going to work then and extra hour on the way home.

I don't even want that. Takes the fun out of riding. :))

Why be lazy when you can ride the bike?
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Because after working overtime for a 16 hour day and having to ride in for an hour before that then ride home for an hour after work... sleep ... get up 4 hours later to do it again. Some days I wouldnt mind getting a couple more hours of sleep.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold