Track 250... errr Telomere 250 mods :-)

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Track 250... errr Telomere 250 mods :-)

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Is coming along nicely, still have to measure all of this up and tighten it down but the hard part is done.
20111128_212454.jpg
20111128_212454.jpg (132.78 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
K1600

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Re: Track 250... errr Telomere 250 mods :-)

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 pm

Before and after
20111129_204248.jpg
20111129_204248.jpg (71.82 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
K1600

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:54 pm

Before and after, need to make some adjustments and tweaks but otherwise it looks good.

May change out the pegs for longer pegs, these are crazy short, crazy crazy short, and GP shift mod.
20111129_220613.jpg
20111129_220613.jpg (120.02 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
K1600

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:27 am

I'm gonna do the same after the baby, think I'll get a sport touring bike like a FJR, then get a Steph a 250 and mod it out for her use and track use.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 am

Short pegs = more cornering clearance.

The rearsets on my ZX6R are the same way. When the ball of my foot is on the ball of the peg, my toe is only like 1" from the bike.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:34 am

Rhino wrote:Short pegs = more cornering clearance.

The rearsets on my ZX6R are the same way. When the ball of my foot is on the ball of the peg, my toe is only like 1" from the bike.
For me its too short, there is no pointing a toe out on this thing.

This bike won't ever see race slicks, if it will still get clearance at full lean with slightly longer pegs I'll probably do a swap, already contacted woodcraft about it.
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:18 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:This bike won't ever see race slicks, if it will still get clearance at full lean with slightly longer pegs I'll probably do a swap, already contacted woodcraft about it.
That...doesn't make any sense.

Do the pegs fold up? If not, full lean is when they drag. Shorter pegs mean full lean is further over. Or does something else touch first before the peg?

And yeah, there's no pointing my toe out either, it just can't be done and keep your foot on the peg on my ZX6R. That may be part of my issue with getting a knee out.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Rhino wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:This bike won't ever see race slicks, if it will still get clearance at full lean with slightly longer pegs I'll probably do a swap, already contacted woodcraft about it.
That...doesn't make any sense.

Do the pegs fold up? If not, full lean is when they drag. Shorter pegs mean full lean is further over. Or does something else touch first before the peg?

And yeah, there's no pointing my toe out either, it just can't be done and keep your foot on the peg on my ZX6R. That may be part of my issue with getting a knee out.
They do not fold up, full lean is when your at the edge of the tread. If this bike when it reaches the edge of the contact patch still has several inches of peg clearance, then its getting bigger pegs. If you can't get your foot posistioned properly, how is the rest of the body suppose to fall into place? <-- not very well I would think.

These are raised higher than stock pegs to increase clearance, slightly longer pegs shouldn't cause a peg drag issue with street tires, if they do, then I'll say the rider is doing it wrong.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Rhino wrote: And yeah, there's no pointing my toe out either, it just can't be done and keep your foot on the peg on my ZX6R. That may be part of my issue with getting a knee out.
That is probably the issue, unless i'm misunderstanding you and someone correct me if wrong. Your toe should be pointed out, if it is facing foward, you can only turn your knee/hip out so much. If you put it towards the end of the peg you can rotate it more and in return you can do the same with knee. I'll find a video explaining better
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:03 pm

milesmiles wrote:
Rhino wrote: And yeah, there's no pointing my toe out either, it just can't be done and keep your foot on the peg on my ZX6R. That may be part of my issue with getting a knee out.
That is probably the issue, unless i'm misunderstanding you and someone correct me if wrong. Your toe should be pointed out, if it is facing foward, you can only turn your knee/hip out so much. If you put it towards the end of the peg you can rotate it more and in return you can do the same with knee. I'll find a video explaining better
Inside foot, on the ball, heel against the rearset, toe pointing into the turn

Outside foot, hooked on to the peg via heel notch to "hold on" during setup and heavy braking (this still doesn't feel natural, my new habit I'm trying to learn)
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 pm

I'll have to see what you mean by the outside foot here soon, but we are talking about the same thing for the inside.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Snippet with some outside foot info

milesmiles wrote:I'll have to see what you mean by the outside foot here soon, but we are talking about the same thing for the inside.
The purpose of the hook on the outside:

When coming in for a turn, setup, get the knee out, braking hard - there is a catch, how are you suppose to grip the tank with your knees under heaving breaking if your setup for the turn - answer hook your heel on the peg to transfer force to the peg and less to your arms.

Inside is different, I'll see if I can find some pics, but inside should be pointing INTO the turn, and the outside should be hooked on and pointing at the sky, hard to explain, I'll keep looking around.

here look at the outside foot, the other option is to put the ball onto the peg, heel against the back, and lock your knee into the tank, that takes a lot of energy and its not a real good lock when you have your body off the other side.

The way I've been doing it is locking my knee into the tank and then using the outside leg to "hook on and squeeze" the bike. It works, but the "fast" guys do it different so I'm trying to change.

http://www.amaproracing.com/images/driv ... Mladin.jpg

Still looking for inside pics, but they are hard to find for obvious reasons, here is another outside pic

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/W ... motogp.jpg

Here: Heel up against the bike, on the ball, pointing into the turn:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.91 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (13.06 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
This next one drives me bat shit crazy, had a RS instructor tell me to do this once, it look less than one lap to figure out why it was not a good idea.
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (19.85 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
K1600

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:30 am

I thought 250s didnt make great track bikes because after about a year or two of it you end up blowing the motor out because of all the stresses. 250 engines just arent designed to handle lots of track time. This was my impression from Kegan and George talking about turning their 250s into track bikes.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:46 am

Had never heard the heel thing before. I can see where it could work, but the advantage is small and it's just one extra thing to thing/worry about when coming into a turn. I wouldn't worry about it till after you get good and comfortable with track riding. There are far more importing things to make sure you get right at this stage in all of our "racing careers".

And yeah, on the 250 thing, they might survive running the 1.3 at MSR for a few seasons, but any of the other tracks around here are too big and wide open. You'll spend 80% of your time with the bike about 1000rpms from redline, not something a street 250 was designed for.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:18 am

DarcShadow wrote:Had never heard the heel thing before. I can see where it could work, but the advantage is small and it's just one extra thing to thing/worry about when coming into a turn. I wouldn't worry about it till after you get good and comfortable with track riding. There are far more importing things to make sure you get right at this stage in all of our "racing careers".

And yeah, on the 250 thing, they might survive running the 1.3 at MSR for a few seasons, but any of the other tracks around here are too big and wide open. You'll spend 80% of your time with the bike about 1000rpms from redline, not something a street 250 was designed for.
I'm trying to make the foot thing "habbit" now so later on its not something I think about or work on.

I'm not worried about the 250 popping the motor, with the revs it runs I know it's not a 100,000 mile motor. Shen she goes I'll either rebuild it, drop a new motor in it, or whatever. Its still a street bike, I didn't put these things on it to turn in into my track bike or anything like that.

Her next ride will be a GSXR, but until that day comes these mods make the 250 feel a whole lot better, and wasn't a huge investment.
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:49 am

fixxervi6 wrote:Her next ride will be a GSXR, but until that day comes these mods make the 250 feel a whole lot better, and wasn't a huge investment.
What if she wants to stay with Team Green?

Her next ride could be a ZX. :D

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:02 am

Rhino wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:Her next ride will be a GSXR, but until that day comes these mods make the 250 feel a whole lot better, and wasn't a huge investment.
What if she wants to stay with Team Green?

Her next ride could be a ZX. :D
Not in this house! wings symbol or a fancy S!!

GSXR is top pick due to seat height for vertical challenged people, ZX sits higher by a lil bit. I would go ZX 600 before a CBR 600 if it were me (CBR 600 no slippy clutch!) GSXR 600 comes with all of the trimmings AND lowest seat height. I did some digging around, lots of women go for the gixxer due to seat height alone.
K1600

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:22 am

Maybe she decides she wants the CBR. Maybe she desides she wants the ZX. Maybe, she decides she wants an FZ6. Maybe, maybe she decides she wants street triple, how bout that then?

And on the seat hieght. I'm not what you would call a tall person, (go ahead fireblade, I know your having a tough time holding it back). The 675 has one of the tallest seat hieghts around. And I'd still take it over a GSXR any day of the week, because it is more cofortable to sit on, despite not being able to stand flat footed when stopped.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:24 am

maybe, just maybe. Or maybe she decides the slipper is no biggie really, and maybe she decides you can buy a seat that is already lower. Maybe, just maybe.
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:27 am

WillK675 wrote:Maybe she decides she wants the CBR. Maybe she desides she wants the ZX because it is all around more cofortable, despite the seat hieght. Maybe, she decides she wants an FZ6. Maybe, maybe she decides she wants street triple, how bout that then?
pfft, she's smarter than that!

:SideSplittingLaughter:
milesmiles wrote:maybe, just maybe. Or maybe she decides the slipper is no biggie really, and maybe she decides you can buy a seat that is already lower. Maybe, just maybe.
I don't think they make lower seats, you have to shave them. Even then, if the gsxr is .5" lower and you shave both seats by 1 inch, the gsxr still comes out lower. If she was hell bent on a CBR I'd say ok I can live wtih a honda in the garage but they aren't as pretty ya know.

Once you go slipper there is no going back, I love my slipper, if I had a bike without one, I would be spending the money to add it. I like technology, I like anything that gives me any kind of advantage, assitance, convenience. You can argue that a slipper doesn't make me faster, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but it allows me to do something you non slipper boys can't do, and its one less thing for me to think about.

For the money that these bikes cost these days, a damper and slipper should be standard equipment, otherwise, I'll say the bike is not worth the money, why? becasue the competition is offering something that peforms so close its the rider that makes the difference, and they are offering up that tech in the same price range.

For me, yes, lack of a slipper clutch on a super sport is a deal breaker for me now.

For day to day I utilize the silpper for stupid fast smooth downshifts, sure, you can blip your throttle if you want, thats one less thing I don't worry about.

For the track, I've only really fully utilized it a couple times for its purpose, I don't come into the corners "hot" enough to fully utilize the potential of a slipper -(yet)-

Because the CBR600 comes stock witih no slipper, its not on my list of bikes I would buy.

^- not knocking you guys that don't have them or don't want them, its personal choice, if your good without them and don't see the need than great! I just don't see it the same.
Last edited by fixxervi6 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:40 am

I started to reply with "My cbr 600 has a clipper clutch." but then did some searching to see if maybe they removed them for new models or what and found out that mine doesn't have one, unless it's an aftermarket and I don't think anything like that has been done to it. So now I wonder, have I really gotten that good at rev matching when down shifting. I use to think I was good, then I thought it was the slipper clutch, now I'm thinking I'm good again. :)

Either way, slipper clutchs, like so many of the other things people consider important, arn't. They're just extra toys, that 95% of riders will never make use of.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:48 am

fixxervi6 wrote:Not in this house! wings symbol or a fancy S!!

GSXR is top pick due to seat height for vertical challenged people, ZX sits higher by a lil bit. I would go ZX 600 before a CBR 600 if it were me (CBR 600 no slippy clutch!) GSXR 600 comes with all of the trimmings AND lowest seat height. I did some digging around, lots of women go for the gixxer due to seat height alone.
You've already *got* a Kawi in your garage. :)

The seat height thing should be the *last* consideration since the difference is so small. It's not like the ZX (or any other sport bike) is inches higher than a GSXR. She could make up for the difference with a slightly higher heel on her boot.

Not to say that the GSXR is a bad choice, considering that it does come with all the bells and whistles and much more street-comfy ergos than say a 2008 ZX6R or R6. But yeah, I wouldn't rule out something like a FZ6 or Street Triple either if she wants something fast and comfy. She hasn't had to live with clip-ons and higher pegs until now--she may not like it.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:49 am

DarcShadow wrote:I started to reply with "My cbr 600 has a clipper clutch." but then did some searching to see if maybe they removed them for new models or what and found out that mine doesn't have one, unless it's an aftermarket and I don't think anything like that has been done to it. So no I wonder, have I really gotten that good at rev matching when down shifting. I use to think I was good, then I thought it was the slipper clutch, now I'm thinking I'm good again. :)
I'm going to try to find that paper I read about slippers, why they were invented.

They were not invented "for people that can't shift"

They were invented for racing because the two strokes had a major advantage over 4 strokes --> over reving for downshifts into a turn doesn't damage valves on a 2 stroke (duh) but does bad things in a 4 stroke so something had to be done to get 4 strokes "back in the game"

Let me get some work done and I'll go look for it, cause, I'm suppose to be working :-)
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:50 am

DarcShadow wrote:Either way, slipper clutchs, like so many of the other things people consider important, arn't. They're just extra toys, that 95% of riders will never make use of.
Remember, you're talking to the guy who would rather spend money than pull a clutch lever when he shifts. :SideSplittingLaughter:

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:52 am

Rhino wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:Not in this house! wings symbol or a fancy S!!

You've already *got* a Kawi in your garage. :)

The seat height thing should be the *last* consideration since the difference is so small. It's not like the ZX (or any other sport bike) is inches higher than a GSXR. She could make up for the difference with a slightly higher heel on her boot.

Not to say that the GSXR is a bad choice, considering that it does come with all the bells and whistles and much more street-comfy ergos than say a 2008 ZX6R or R6. But yeah, I wouldn't rule out something like a FZ6 or Street Triple either if she wants something fast and comfy. She hasn't had to live with clip-ons and higher pegs until now--she may not like it.
I was only kidding about the wing or S, I would like to buy a ZX14 and do it up for long trips.

As for the clip-ons and higher pegs, she can suck it the hell up!

When your short and the bike is heavy (compared to your body weight), every little bit of height difference helps. Her track boots don't come in high heeled versions.
K1600