Track 250... errr Telomere 250 mods :-)

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Re: Track 250... errr Telomere 250 mods :-)

Post by milesmiles » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:53 am

DarcShadow wrote:Either way, slipper clutchs, like so many of the other things people consider important, arn't. They're just extra toys, that 95% of riders will never make use of.
I came from the r6(slipper clutch) and you can tell from the thread i had that i was worried about a slipper clutch( when thinking about going to the triumph). I agree with Darc 110% on this it is not a big deal at all. But i also agree with you fixxer, that all bikes should have one now.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:54 am

fixxervi6 wrote:Her track boots don't come in high heeled versions.
Neither did Vic's, but Kegan got that problem solved. :cool:
milesmiles wrote:I agree with Darc 110% on this it is not a big deal at all. But i also agree with you fixxer, that all bikes should have one now.
I don't know man, that's a slippery slope. I don't consider any technology to be a deal-breaker when it comes to new bikes. If you want to play that game, then nobody should buy a GSX-R1000 because it doesn't have traction control. Do you need it? Probably not. And just like the slipper clutch, it's something that nobody in this club is fast enough to *need* on their bike.

Sure, my ZX6 has a slipper clutch on it, but that wasn't really a consideration when I bought it. It doesn't have a stabilizer, and I've never once needed it because Kawasaki can engineer a bike that turns fast but is still stable.

When I was looking for a track bike, my main consideration was good suspension and brakes. Beyond that, the nice-to-have was an honest-to-god supersport, because I'd never owned one before. And I like the body style of my bike and I like the blue color, which were both waaay more important than anything else (except the brakes and suspension) to me.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:57 am

Rhino wrote:
DarcShadow wrote:Either way, slipper clutchs, like so many of the other things people consider important, arn't. They're just extra toys, that 95% of riders will never make use of.
Remember, you're talking to the guy who would rather spend money than pull a clutch lever when he shifts. :SideSplittingLaughter:
Extra toys is part of what its all about, if I wanted to shun all technology I'd go get a harley!

Anyone who wants to make fun of my slipper love and QS thats cool, haters gotta hate, but don't expect me to allow anyone to "try it out" :))
K1600

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:59 am

milesmiles wrote:The purpose of invention of the slipper was not for smoother downshifts btw, there was no "need to invent" for that, rev match and clutch fixes that issue.
well by that logic there was no need to invent traction controlor ABS, right hand/foot fixes that issue.

I thought traction control was invented to reduce the number of highsides?, safety feature not a performance enhancement, slipper woudl be considered a performance enhancement, two different categories.
Last edited by fixxervi6 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:01 pm

I wouldn't worry about height at this stage anyway. After she gets some miles under her butt and gets comfortable with bikes, a very very short person and ride a very very tall bike with no issues. Just look at those old giant wheel bicycles. Seat height only matters when you're stopped and then it's just a matter of how comfortable you are to maintain control of the bike.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:04 pm

CRAP, fixxer, I accidently edited your post and complete changed it, I hit the edit button when I ment to hit the quote button. Sorry man.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:04 pm

DarcShadow wrote:I wouldn't worry about height at this stage anyway. After she gets some miles under her butt and gets comfortable with bikes, a very very short person and ride a very very tall bike with no issues. Just look at those old giant wheel bicycles. Seat height only matters when you're stopped and then it's just a matter of how comfortable you are to maintain control of the bike.
Stopped is what I'm worried about, if you drop one of those big bikes, the potential for thousands in damages didn't exist, you drop a gixxer just right, and it expensive!

She has taken the 750 around the parking lot a few times, up and moving is 0 issue, stopping and dropping is.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:05 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
milesmiles wrote:The purpose of invention of the slipper was not for smoother downshifts btw, there was no "need to invent" for that, rev match and clutch fixes that issue.
well by that logic there was no need to invent traction controlor ABS, right hand/foot fixes that issue.
whoa! watch who you quote, i didn't write that :SideSplittingLaughter:
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:06 pm

eh it's ok if she drops it once or twice. I know this guy who did the same thing to his gsxr a few months ago :))
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:07 pm

milesmiles wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:
whoa! watch who you quote, i didn't write that :SideSplittingLaughter:
Sorry, Darc has it all screwy, not me :D
milesmiles wrote:eh it's ok if she drops it once or twice. I know this guy who did the same thing to his gsxr a few months ago :))
I've only had 1 failure to fully deploy kickstand fully (umm, I mean gravel incident) , and the repairs were not free, so, dropping it is not cool!

Thread is screwy so I'm moving this back to the bottom in response to darcs comment regarding ABS and TC invention:

I thought traction control was invented to reduce the number of highsides?, safety feature not a performance enhancement, slipper woudl be considered a performance enhancement, two different categories.

further edit: keep in mind you can over rev the engine without a slipper, the back wheel can over drive the engine, and an engine sieze will result in locked up rear wheel, slippers prevent over reving and can help save your butt if you have an engine seize up.
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:35 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:further edit: keep in mind you can over rev the engine without a slipper, the back wheel can over drive the engine, and an engine sieze will result in locked up rear wheel, slippers prevent over reving and can help save your butt if you have an engine seize up.
Well yeah, but you'd have to be extra dumb to do that. That's kind of like saying traction control was designed to keep people from looping their bikes when they dump the clutch and accidentally wheelie.

Yes, a slipper can do that for you, but it was really designed to keep the rear wheel from hopping when you don't rev match on a downshift. It's kind of like a quick shifter--it's a performance benefit for really really fast guys riding at the edge of what a bike can do, but it made it into mainstream bikes because it lets average riders be lazy.

Same thing with traction control--it wasn't developed for racing bikes to prevent high-sides, it was developed to provide a stronger drive out of corners. Instead of backing off the throttle, you can whack it open and let the TC system provide exactly as much rear-wheel power as your tires can handle. Fewer high-sides is a side effect, not the main purpose.

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Traction control and ABS were both invented because the majority of people don't know how to drive a F'ing car. So since your an idiot, and don't know what your doing, were going to make the car do it for you, so you can be a lazy F@^# and not have to learn how to properly drive.

Motorcycles have just since adapted the technology, like Rhino said ...
Rhino wrote:it's a performance benefit for really really fast guys riding at the edge of what a bike can do, but it made it into mainstream bikes because it lets average riders be ...
... LAZY F@#*s just like the car drivers it was originally invented for.

Ok, off my soapbox.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:57 pm

Rhino wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote:further edit: keep in mind you can over rev the engine without a slipper, the back wheel can over drive the engine, and an engine sieze will result in locked up rear wheel, slippers prevent over reving and can help save your butt if you have an engine seize up.
Well yeah, but you'd have to be extra dumb to do that. That's kind of like saying traction control was designed to keep people from looping their bikes when they dump the clutch and accidentally wheelie.

Yes, a slipper can do that for you, but it was really designed to keep the rear wheel from hopping when you don't rev match on a downshift. It's kind of like a quick shifter--it's a performance benefit for really really fast guys riding at the edge of what a bike can do, but it made it into mainstream bikes because it lets average riders be lazy.

Same thing with traction control--it wasn't developed for racing bikes to prevent high-sides, it was developed to provide a stronger drive out of corners. Instead of backing off the throttle, you can whack it open and let the TC system provide exactly as much rear-wheel power as your tires can handle. Fewer high-sides is a side effect, not the main purpose.
you don't have to be extra dumb to over rev, lots of racers downshift to a gear below what would over rev the engine for turns, I've done this myself a few times - on purpose, only possible with a slipper or a two stroke. Lets you get everything done while upright isntead of having to wait for your revs to drop low enough to get in the gear you want or ride the clutch until your slow enough to feed it out.

I dunno why traction control was invented, I thought Iread someplace that it was there to help reduce high sides. I don't see how it was invented to allow harder drive outs, GP guys were spinning up the rear wheel doing power slides on exits before any kind of traction control was invented.

If you say slipper clutches and quick shifters are just to be lazy, well then give me my sign, I don't see it that way.

Here is a good article but its not the one I was looking for, the other one I read was more about the development of 4 stroke motorcycle racing, not slipper clutches specificly.

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/slipperclutch.html
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:21 pm

I see all technology as being lazy, that's the reason behind it's invention. They say necessity is the mother of invention...bull shit. Name one thing that was invented because it was needed. Everything that has ever been invented was so that some lazy sob could do something easier. :)

On the ABS, it was actually invented for aircraft and then later adapted to vehicles and bikes.

As fixxer said, slipper clutches were invented for the dirt guys because the pansy 4-stroker riders were complaining that the 2-strokes had too much of an advantage.

Traction control...probably developed in F1 or something, never heard the true origins of it.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:24 pm

DarcShadow wrote:I see all technology as being lazy, that's the reason behind it's invention. They say necessity is the mother of invention...bull shit. Name one thing that was invented because it was needed. Everything that has ever been invented was so that some lazy sob could do something easier. :)

On the ABS, it was actually invented for aircraft and then later adapted to vehicles and bikes.

As fixxer said, slipper clutches were invented for the dirt guys because the pansy 4-stroker riders were complaining that the 2-strokes had too much of an advantage.

Traction control...probably developed in F1 or something, never heard the true origins of it.
MotoGP WAS 500cc two stroke :)
K1600

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Now I know why my ears were burning today!!! Why is everyone so worried about what my next bike will be or which one I may want? I want a bike that none of you have mentioned, an RSV4 :D...but of course, unless I win the lottery, I won't be getting one (a little pricey).
DarcShadow wrote:After she gets some miles under her butt and gets comfortable with bikes, a very very short person and ride a very very tall bike with no issues.
So...what are you getting at? I know I am short (I am not travelsize like Pink) but I can be fun and I can use my height as an advantage!!
DarcShadow wrote:I wouldn't worry about height at this stage anyway. Seat height only matters when you're stopped and then it's just a matter of how comfortable you are to maintain control of the bike.
I agree. I am not worried about seat height unless I am stopped. I really don't want to be approaching a light and have to "slam" on the brakes and me be unbalanced or what not and drop the bike!! :oops: Embarrassing...especially if someone has to help me pick it up!!! But that does go back to getting comfortable with riding and having many miles under my butt. Of course, when I get a bigger bike, I will be taking it pretty easy until I get use to it. I think riding Fixxer's GSXR is difficult. That bitch doesn't want to turn!!! Then again my bike doesn't have a damper so I do experience head shake quite a bit more often that Fixxer (damn cattle guards!!!) because she is a bit more squirrly.

With that said, I am not ready to move up to a bigger bike yet. Yes, I want one but I have not "outgrown" the 250 yet ...I still have a lot to learn. I would rather learn what I can on a bike with less power and lighter in weight, than upgrade and try to learn on a bike that I am not comfortable on. I have more confidence riding my 250 than Fixxer's 750 (I am quite a bit nervous on it).

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Here you go, MotoGP video on traction control, the yami guys says the riders are more efficient without it but, its safer with traction control.

Traction control was not put on motogp to decrease lap time.

http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2008/Tr ... Guy+Coulon
Last edited by fixxervi6 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K1600

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:30 pm

DarcShadow wrote:Name one that that was invented because it was needed.
Language
Metalurgy
Antibiotics
Irrigation
Braille
Kevlar
Metalurgy

I could go on...
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:31 pm

On picking up a bike, there is a trick to it and with some pratice, even the weakest person can get any bike back up on two wheels. :)

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:33 pm

:plus1:
DarcShadow wrote:On picking up a bike, there is a trick to it and with some pratice, even the weakest person can get any bike back up on two wheels. :)
Last edited by fixxervi6 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K1600

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:33 pm

DarcShadow wrote:On picking up a bike, there is a trick to it and with some pratice, even the weakest person can get any bike back up on two wheels. :)
I saw a video that was made to "teach" others how to pick up their bike if they were alone. It was done by some woman. I seriously do not plan on practicing on picking up my bike :D Now, if someone wants to lend their bike for practice, that is different story and I am game!!!

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 pm

fixxervi6 wrote::plus1:
Only problem I see with that technique is that it requires the bike to have fallen on the right side, as you are relying on it setting up on the kickstand, once lifted. If the bike falls on the left side, your going to have to topple it over to the other side (potentially causing more damage) and then pick it up again.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:46 pm

WillK675 wrote:
fixxervi6 wrote::plus1:
Only problem I see with that technique is that it requires the bike to have fallen on the right side, as you are relying on it setting up on the kickstand, once lifted. If the bike falls on the left side, your going to have to topple it over to the other side (potentially causing more damage) and then pick it up again.
There are better videos out there demostrating this method, and yea, some videos show exactly what you just mentioned, just flipping it over on the other side, just means you have to be careful.

I am not aware of any other method to lift a bike by yourself that won't involve destroying your back, or have risk of dumping it on the other side if you don't stop.
K1600

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Here is the video I saw. Notice the nice plump mats under the bike :D

http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/Videos/drop05.mpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:48 pm

true, but you can still pick it up. ha!

The kick stand trick makes it easier, but once you get a bike up past a certin point you should be able to hold it while you turn around and throw a leg over it.