MSR Nov 3rd & 4th Role Call

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Re: MSR Nov 3rd & 4th Role Call

Post by Telomere » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:50 pm

Striple wrote:Telomere -- let me know next time you're going to be on the track. If you want, I'd definitely be willing to work a session or two with you. Since I struggled with the same exact aspects, I might be able to show you some things that have helped put me on the right path. Just let me know, I can do it at just about any track day.
Cool. Thanks, and I am sure I will take you up on that :-D (as long as I can keep you with you...you are fast...even on a connie :D )
Chance favors the prepared mind.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:06 pm

I'll throw in my stuff from Saturday, why not.

The bad:
I was off all day, was running on a lack of sleep, nothing ever clicked or felt right on, my lines were sloppy (sloppier than normal).
My focus was off, I kept finding myself fixating on the rider in front of me, my eyes where not up and scanning as the should have been. When I was aware of it, I corrected it, but normally I wasn't aware of it until after I screwed a turn up.
The cone was missing from wagon wheel, so I never got that exit right all day :((

The good:
I decided to stick it out and just back down a notch, as long as I'm not a danger, track time is track time.

I focused on 4 things throughout the day
Knee to Knee
Steering with the brake
the pick-up
that damn ricochet turn

Love the knee to knee, I'm a believer, it's almost habit but not all the way there, I still keep catching myself getting sloppy so I still have to put some focus on it but it's taking less of my focus than it used to. I'm going slower through the rattle snake but it feels better, I'm hoping after knee to knee becomes a no brainier habit the speed for rattlesnake will just come.

Steering with the brake, I discovered on accident how effective this can be, but it adds a lot of task loading, but today because I took it down a notch I was able to give it some attention and actually used it going into rattle snake to steer to the line (not aggressively or anywhere near a racer level but still, learning is learning).

the pick-up, yep, I tried it at cresson only this time I didn't just wrap the throttle open, I pulled in the inside bar while opening the throttle faster than normal while letting my body fall to the inside of the bike. I don't know how effective it is on lap times, but I pulled a wheelie coming out of wagon wheel, and I pulled a wheelie over the hill coming out of big bend (tiny ones). I've only ever pulled the front wheel like that on the track over bad pavement at ECR (wheelie hill doesn't' count) One of them over big bend gave me pretty good head shake while I was off to the side of the bike so I quit doing it and went back to regular roll on to wot on exit. I have no idea if this has any actual effect on lap time but it's fun so I'll continue to play with it.

Ricochet, I brake before that turn, I can't help it, even if I slow down I brake before that turn. The bike tips in there strange, it doesn't feel "snappy" it feels sluggish. It could have something to do with brakes AND the fact it goes down hill. Anyway as an experiment I did all of my braking EARLY on the straight, got back into the gas fully before tip in and road the gas on the entire way, if felt smoother and I was able to get a descent line a few times. Everyone keeps telling me don't' brake that's why your messing it up, that appears to be true. I just don't know how to brake that mental block at this time, but not being on the brakes at tip in on that turn makes a big difference, where as things like little bend and buzzards neck, if I'm not on the brakes for tip in, they don't feel right. I want to follow someone through that turn at speed and do a "trust me ride" to try to break that mental braking barrier. I think part of it is the bumps too, I've hit them a few times, and almost fell off the bike once so I have some hesitation.

I kept going back to the classroom in the afternoon, that's when I wanted the instructor, not in the morning when I'm warming up and not awake, every time I went back they were gone. I kept missing them so I was bummed.

The last session of the day I was tired, I was like screw it I'll go and just cruise around, track time is track time. I pretty much had the track all to myself so la dee dah and I tip in to the sound of an engine on my inside so I look over and I see an instructor with a scottish accent looking back at me, we just looked at each other for a second and then I was like ok it's yours and I braked into the turn. Then two more, I'm like damn did I accidently go out with level 3? Then another and it dawned on me, last session, track is almost empty they are just out here playing, so I tried to keep pace. I was doing really well! We came into one turn pretty durn hot, on the brakes hard, back end getting loose tip in, I'm still on pace, hell yea. Next turn, squishy squishy brake - damn brake fade, I had gone all day without it by taking it easy and when I start to push it, it rears it's ugly head. After that I backed off, if I kept trying to push a pace I was gonna get in trouble, especially on a day when I wasn't firing on all 4 cylinders.

After TWS my outlook on track day has changed - go slow to go fast

Yea, I've heard it, we've all heard, it, yea man sounds good, it makes sense ... (but secretly I like to go fast). I was getting frustrated at TWS because I didn't feel I was "going fast" and some turns were giving me a hard time. I decided I was gonna go slow, I went so slow in the big straight I didn't have to brake for the tip in to turn 1.

I was going to go after those X's even if I had to park the bike and walk over and touch the damn thing.

To my amazement, I turned 2:16, then 2:15, and then 2:14.. I didn't even try, this was a BIG eye opener

So when I was at Cresson, and I was tired, I just slowed down. I have no idea what times I turned but I can't help but think it has made me at least .001% better than I was before i got there.
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:36 am

Striple wrote:Telomere -- let me know next time you're going to be on the track. If you want, I'd definitely be willing to work a session or two with you. Since I struggled with the same exact aspects, I might be able to show you some things that have helped put me on the right path. Just let me know, I can do it at just about any track day.

:plus1: Let me know as well. I won't be showing you anything .... just following the both of you. I find I do my best when following Stripple.... I learn alot. Plus I can try and get good video for you to use.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Michael
Achievement count: 0

Post by Michael » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 am

I think I regressed a little yesterday. The last trackday at ECR I was in the zone, graduated to level 2 and pumped up about doing the 1.3. Rode in lvl 1 since I had never done that course. I picked up the lines pretty quick and ended up sitting behind groups of 3-4+ riders. I do not know how I can safely pass when they're all a couple of feet apart in a big bunch. I would roll through the pit at least once a session then I would get caught behind again. I guess this made me lose focus and my body position was jacked up. The instructor basically told me I needed to slow down and he was right, but 75% today isn't what it was five trackdays ago. So last time out I ended up cruising about half pace and focusing on my body position but I just wasn't feeling it. I started losing concentration and was tired from waking up too early so I didn't do the last session. Maybe at this point I need some one on one instruction. I think I would have rode better in lvl 2 where I could have got into a groove. I guess everyone has a bad day but I don't know I'm kind of bummed.
K6 GSXR750
K7 CBR600RR

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 am

DemonDuck wrote: :plus1: Let me know as well. I won't be showing you anything .... just following the both of you. I find I do my best when following Stripple.... I learn alot. Plus I can try and get good video for you to use.
Sure, anytime! Just make sure to wait for me at the end of the straights. :D
Michael wrote:I think I regressed a little yesterday. The last trackday at ECR I was in the zone, graduated to level 2 and pumped up about doing the 1.3. Rode in lvl 1 since I had never done that course. I picked up the lines pretty quick and ended up sitting behind groups of 3-4+ riders. I do not know how I can safely pass when they're all a couple of feet apart in a big bunch.
This just means that you are exactly where you need to be. You're probably faster than most of those other riders, but you're now looking for the tools to make safe passes to avoid getting bunched up. It takes time to develop a sense of when and where to pass, and I still find myself struggling with this from time to time. Even when you're confident that you can make the pass, you cannot always trust the rider ahead of you for holding his/her line, and you certainly want to avoid a potentially hairy situation. Keep on doing as many track days as you can, and you will develop the skills needed to learn to make those passes. Also, keep in mind that the 1.3-mile track at MSRC is not an easy one to make a clean pass on.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:34 am

Telomere wrote:
Striple wrote:The key to riding a small bike -- especially a 250 -- is to maximize corner speed. Since you're basically riding around without an engine, you're going to exit a turn with a speed that is (at best) not too different from your entry speed. Learn to trail brake deep into a turn, and try not to overbrake. Remember, you don't really *need* to start braking at a certain point, you just need to be done with it before you reach your maximum lean angle. You can even get on the brakes earlier than usual, just apply less brake pressure. Then gradually trail off the brakes as you initiate the turn. You can use the same technique to outbrake bigger bikes, and put yourself to the inside of them, before they have a chance to initiate their turn-in (= not an inside pass).

Another excellent way to pass bigger bikes is to let them get ahead of you by a few yards, then set yourself up for a monster drive out of a turn, and place yourself smack onto their line in front of them. Unless you're on a big straight, most L1/L2 riders won't be able to pass you again until after the next turn.

Don't let your lack of horsepower frustrate you on the track (I know -- easier said than done, right?!). In fact, the longer you stick with the 250 on the track, the better it is for your development as a rider. Ask any expert racer, and they will tell you that you're doing exactly the right thing.
It is easier said than done. This is going to take practice and I am sure that once I do it, I will be doing it all the time...it is just getting to the point to learn "when" and "how" to do it. I plan on staying on the 250 at the track until I get that technique down for the simple fact that once I learn how to do it on the smaller, more chattier bike, I shouldn't have a problem doing it on the 600. I don't want to learn how to pass on the outside on the 600 first. I would probably screw up and wind up in the flower patch on the side of the track, smelling them. :D
You might even consider going to level 2 where riders are a bit more predictable which makes passing easier. Also, don't forget, once you're past the apex you're not in the turn anymore and can pass on what ever side you want. The big trick to to not follow someone into a turn. It's hard not too and I still do it more then I should but if you can give them just the right amount of space to where you don't have to change your pace and can catch them just past the apex you should be able to hold them off for the straight.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:34 am

Michael wrote:I think I regressed a little yesterday. The last trackday at ECR I was in the zone, graduated to level 2 and pumped up about doing the 1.3. Rode in lvl 1 since I had never done that course. I picked up the lines pretty quick and ended up sitting behind groups of 3-4+ riders. I do not know how I can safely pass when they're all a couple of feet apart in a big bunch. I would roll through the pit at least once a session then I would get caught behind again. I guess this made me lose focus and my body position was jacked up. The instructor basically told me I needed to slow down and he was right, but 75% today isn't what it was five trackdays ago. So last time out I ended up cruising about half pace and focusing on my body position but I just wasn't feeling it. I started losing concentration and was tired from waking up too early so I didn't do the last session. Maybe at this point I need some one on one instruction. I think I would have rode better in lvl 2 where I could have got into a groove. I guess everyone has a bad day but I don't know I'm kind of bummed.
I'm trying to avoid being bummed and take from the day what I can, even if it's tiny. At a minimum if all else went wrong, you got line practice and your bike came back still shiny.

Even if I'm having an off day, I got to go fast without fear of getting a ticket!
K1600

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:33 pm

DarcShadow wrote:You might even consider going to level 2 where riders are a bit more predictable which makes passing easier. Also, don't forget, once you're past the apex you're not in the turn anymore and can pass on what ever side you want. The big trick to to not follow someone into a turn. It's hard not too and I still do it more then I should but if you can give them just the right amount of space to where you don't have to change your pace and can catch them just past the apex you should be able to hold them off for the straight.
I don't think I am ready for Level 2. I want to be able to pass those bikes in Level 1 before I move up. It is part of the challenge and learning. If I move to level 2, I will not have that opportunity. I will learn that trick once I see it and do it..then it should "click"...at least, I hope it does.

On a side note, I want to thank 2Track for letting me borrow his wifes gloves on Saturday. Thanks to Denise too! I appreciate it. Now, I just need to go buy myself a pair before next track season. Good job out there on Saturday Track Marshal!!!!

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:37 pm

You could also forget about passing for now, go to level 2, get more experence going faster, then drop back to level 1 to work on your passing, and probably be amazed at how easily you can do it. :D
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:39 pm

DarcShadow wrote:You could also forget about passing for now, go to level 2, get more experence going faster, then drop back to level 1 to work on your passing, and probably be amazed at how easily you can do it. :D
I probably could do that but I never thought about that. I may have to sit and ponder on that idea. :)

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:10 pm

My advice is not to rush it. Forgot about the level hierarchy. I spent A LOT of time in L1, and I did benefit a lot from that. When you're starting out, its not so much about getting faster, but rather about getting better. There are tons of bad riders in L2 that are only interested in going a certain pace, by any means necessary. If you spend enough time in L1, you will continue to be able to work on the basics, and eventually you will find yourself riding near the top of that level. Trust me, you will know when you're ready to move up (and it doesn't really matter when that happens anyway). Even L3 sometimes gets bunched up, whenever there is a rider who is off line but quick, and it tends to make other riders a bit more hesitant about passing that person.

L1 is fantastic for learning the basics, L2 is good for applying those basics to get your pace up and to work on advanced techniques, and L3 is great to apply everything that you have learned and begin to fine-tune things.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Telomere wrote:
DarcShadow wrote:You could also forget about passing for now, go to level 2, get more experence going faster, then drop back to level 1 to work on your passing, and probably be amazed at how easily you can do it. :D
I probably could do that but I never thought about that. I may have to sit and ponder on that idea. :)
It's called the "Fixxer Plan".

Can't pass? No problem, just ride where everybody is faster than you. :SideSplittingLaughter:

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Right, cause I can't pass

Go to the 11 minute mark to see an example of using your straight speed to carry you through the turn on the outside when someone parks the bike.
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Whether you can pass *now* is irrelevant. You said at the time that you moved to L2 it's because you were tired of getting stuck in traffic. When we gave you a hard time about just passing, you said you didn't want to learn to pass, you wanted to learn to go faster.

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Rhino wrote:Whether you can pass *now* is irrelevant. You said at the time that you moved to L2 it's because you were tired of getting stuck in traffic. When we gave you a hard time about just passing, you said you didn't want to learn to pass, you wanted to learn to go faster.
Correct, I still stand by that. I'm not a racer, while I do have fun passing sometimes, it's not my goal when I go to the track.

If you to go the track to simply put your superior corning skills to work at passing people that's cool, I'm just saying that's not the reason I go.
K1600

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:26 pm

Totally understand, and I'm just giving you a friendly hard time.

I learned on Saturday that there really is some value to moving up, getting faster, then dropping back down if you want a lot of opportunities to learn passing. I was passing while riding at maybe 70% of my abilities, which meant I was actually learning, not just surviving.

El Diabro
Achievement count: 18

Post by El Diabro » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Yesterday truly was a learning experience for me! I learned that I will start trail braking because it makes sense now, I learned that I need new glasses for riding, and I learned that I need to get out and ride the 750 more than once every 3 1/2 months before taking her to the track.
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:52 pm

I did have a bit of the problem that Telo was talking about, bikes coming around me and then finding myself in a traffic jam in the corner. On one hand very irritating. On the other hand maybe they just wanted as many opportunities to haul ass legally as possible. I can understand that. I think next time I am going to ride slower in the corners and try to hold a more consistent line. Some laps I would be great, others I would be WAY off.

On the topic of hauling ass, I was not really paying attention to my top speed but I would ride all the way up to redline on the big straight in 3rd and hold it there. I wasn't even thinking of how fast that it. I though "under a hundred" and then remembered that that is top speed in second. Not third.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Telomere wrote:
El Diabro wrote:Thanks Striple! Dude, you're a beast out there!!!

Thanks to everyone who showed up today to ride and those that came to watch. Even though I didn't look like it, it definitely felt good to be surrounded by friends. Talking shop, track and all out BS was fun! Dave, thanks for the camera, my lil boy keeps asking me 'was that you? was that you there?' as people are passing me :)

Just like every track day, today was another learning experience! I can't wait to work a few kinks out for next track season!!!
I enjoyed yesterday too even though I was pissed off every session I went out because I do not know how to pass these stupid slow cornering mo-fo's!!! :-o I would have had A LOT more fun if I knew how to pass them (which made renting that lap timer completely useless). One of these days, I will learn to pass them and then maybe move up in levels.
Just listen to yourself, and listen to Striple and Dave, you know you can carry so much more speed into/thru/and out of the corners. You are getting frustrated because the bigger bikes are slowing you down in the corners, they are getting in your way. My suggestion to you is find an open spot going into corners where there is no one around you. Maybe work on one corner or a couple of corners at a time. Roll thru them without using your brakes, start slow, increase speed progressively. Find out how much speed you are capable and comfortable carring into and thru a turn. Also progressively take a more outside line, increase it but not to the point where you'll run off or get into trouble (again comfort level). Weight your inside foot more, put so much weight on that inside peg that if it were to break you foot would go thru the pavement on the track. Keep your bike upright or as upright as you can. Your body position will help navigate you thru the turn. Remember the more upright the bike is the more throttle you can use. When you get good at it, you'll be able to pass them in th corners, look back to see the look on their face as they pass you on the straight and then you can pass them again on the next corner.

just my $0.02
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:23 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
that damn ricochet turn

Ricochet, I brake before that turn, I can't help it, even if I slow down I brake before that turn. The bike tips in there strange, it doesn't feel "snappy" it feels sluggish. It could have something to do with brakes AND the fact it goes down hill. Anyway as an experiment I did all of my braking EARLY on the straight, got back into the gas fully before tip in and road the gas on the entire way, if felt smoother and I was able to get a descent line a few times. Everyone keeps telling me don't' brake that's why your messing it up, that appears to be true. I just don't know how to brake that mental block at this time, but not being on the brakes at tip in on that turn makes a big difference, where as things like little bend and buzzards neck, if I'm not on the brakes for tip in, they don't feel right. I want to follow someone through that turn at speed and do a "trust me ride" to try to break that mental braking barrier. I think part of it is the bumps too, I've hit them a few times, and almost fell off the bike once so I have some hesitation.
Your first mistake is treating Ricochet as a turn. It's not a turn its a kink in the track, a slight curve. You don't have to use your brakes. When you come out of wagon wheel drift to the ouside of the track. Early apex and drift wide on the exit use the whole track, this will allow you to avoid the ripples made by cars on that part of the track. Taking this line will also help you pass those riders that treat ricochet as a turn and brake for it. You can pass on the ouside while they're braking and your on the throttle.

Try it, don't think of it as a turn but as a kink in the track. FWIW I usually grab an up shift and add throttle as I lean in for Ricochet. (notice I said "lean in" not" tip in" you tip in for a turn, and you lean in for a curve.)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:56 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:Right, cause I can't pass

Go to the 11 minute mark to see an example of using your straight speed to carry you through the turn on the outside when someone parks the bike.

Look at the pass you made at 10:25-10:30 in Ricochet, No brakes, maintenance throttle and acceleration right thru Ricochet. That's the line you should take and the way you should take it.

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:57 pm

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW THIS CRAP?! :evil:
DR650
Have cool, will travel

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Stardog84 wrote:HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW THIS CRAP?! :evil:

Byproduct of a mispent youth :wheelie: :track: :rockout: if you know what I mean!

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 am

Stardog84 wrote:HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW THIS CRAP?! :evil:
Two things:

1. Theory
2. Practice

For theory, you talk to people in the club, read books, etc. Shaun, Thomas, Rich, Matt, Benny, and Don are all excellent resources. Also check out books like A Twist of the Wrist, they get into the theory of going fast. Just absorb all of that you can in the off-season, then sign up for a bunch of track days and go put the theory into practice.

For me, I'd learned a bunch of theory before I ever did track days, but it took 3-4 track days before I really felt comfortable. Instead of going "oh shit I'm on the track WHEEE!!!", I could calm down and focus on specific skills every time. Like Saturday for me was all about 3 things--learning how the Versys handles when pushed, maintaining corner speed no matter what (including in traffic, same thing Telomere was talking about), and using the WHOLE track, i.e. hitting my apexes with my knee over the curbing and drifting out to the very edge of the track on corner exits.

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:33 pm

I have been reading a little bit of Twist every night before bed. I have been through it a couple of times and it has helped my street riding greatly. I also love the Twist 2 DVD. Teresa and I know every line and consider it to be an elegant dance of information and theater. Hopefully I will have a lot of questions soon. I have more now than Saturday morning. Right now the burning question in my head is how much and where to apply throttle, but I guess that is really an entire topic. I did get a huge "WHEEE!!!" feeling and am going to work hard to keep that in check on the 18th.
DR650
Have cool, will travel