Rotella T6

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Re: Rotella T6

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:04 am

DemonDuck wrote:Is there a cross reference for my bike?
Your exact bike won't be listed but if the filter is the same as an older model you might be able to find that. Or if you know the specs of the filter (thread, size, etc) you can find a compatable car filter. Most bikes can run a car filter, but as Firewa11 mentioned some bikes the space is too cramped. Still though, it's worth a shot, car filters are only like $5 after all.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Ok, I now have an update on Rotella T6. First, I wouldn't mess with it. After my first oil change, for the last thousand miles, I've been having hard shifts, and when the bike has been sitting for any amount of time, if it's in neutral and the bike is off, I go to roll it and it 'sticks' for a second, feeling like it's having to break free from the clutch to roll forward. Same goes for if the bike is in gear, and I pull the clutch lever in, push it forward, it feels like it's in gear for a second before it breaks loose and rolls. While riding, I haven't had any missed gears or false neutrals, but I some times I've had to hit the lever pretty hard. Plus shifting from neutral to 1st gear is much more jolting.

I wasn't convinced it was the oil, but I figured that was easier than taking it to the shop. So Cycle Center up in Denton was a running 'buy 4 quarts of synthetic get a free OEM oil filter', and Amsoil there was less than $12 a quart. So, just changed the oil... and voila, the 'sticking' issue is gone. The rough shifting is gone, as is the jolting shift from neutral to 1st.

So, buyer beware on the Rotella T6. Some folks have reported no ill effects at all, but I am not one of them. Yes I used the same Rotella T6 that everyone has said to use, made sure the rating stuff was all correct (no friction modifiers, etc.). I took a chance at using non-motorcycle-specific oil, and didn't have a good experience, so I'll be sticking to Motorcycle oil (likely Amsoil from Cycle Center as that's cheaper than what CycleGear charges for Castrol GPS which is what I used to run).
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Amsoil's MCF is an excellent oil! I have a number of used oil analyses on that oil, and it is far superior in performance than a lot of the budget oils. The viscosity and shifting problems of Rotella T6 are also well documented, so this is not an isolated case. The problem is that many people will try an oil and base its performance solely on anecdotal factors, then interpret "not seeing any ill effects" as evidence that it must be a good oil.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor

Post by shilka99 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Rotella is designed for engines with a dry clutch. Its not designed to handle the added friction and shear stresses caused by clutch plates.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice

Post by sckego » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Shaun/RC30FAN wrote:Rotella is designed for engines with a dry clutch. Its not designed to handle the added friction and shear stresses caused by clutch plates.
Can you provide a source for that bit of info? I'm not very familiar with the various oil certifications, so I'm going to cheat and just refer to Wikipedia, which says "The JASO T904-MA and MA2 standards are designed to distinguish oils that are approved for wet clutch use, and the JASO T904-MB standard is not suitable for wet clutch use... These standards, especially JASO-MA (for motorcycles) and JASO-FC, are designed to address oil-requirement issues not addressed by the API service categories. One element of the JASO-MA standard is a friction test designed to determine suitability for wet clutch usage.[18][9] An oil that meets JASO-MA is considered appropriate for wet clutch operations. Oils marketed as motorcycle-specific will carry the JASO-MA label."

Shell Rotella T6 meets the JASO-MA standard...
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 4

Post by 111 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:04 pm

fixxervi6 wrote:
DemonDuck wrote:Ummm.... Didn't you do a 1500 mile trip? And now your doing your 600 mile service?
Give or take a couple miles, close enough
I am at 5k and haven't done a 600 mile service. Haha.
Red on Black 12 GSXR 600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:26 pm

I've always changed my rotella at 3k. Well almost
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Some of you may not have had any problems with it, but I personally have. I honestly thought it was the bike and something wasn't adjusted that they normally would have done at the 600 mile service, so I checked with a shop mechanic and I covered everything they do (saving myself $$$ in the process). I got rid of the Rotella after barely 1,000 miles running it, and I would never go back. Amsoil really is awesome stuff, I've run it before (Jim had a hookup and got a case from him), I'd say Castrol GPS and Amsoil 'feel' about the same, very easy / fluid shifting, easy clutching, going from 1st the 2nd and back again doesn't feel so... cludgy.

So whether or not Rotella T6 meets the JASO-MA standard, doesn't mean that it feels right or works the same as better synthetics out there. Amsoil has my money now. I'd rather pay $46 for an oil change instead of paying $29 with Rotella. It's worth the extra money knowing my clutch plates are not going to be wearing out and grinding down prematurely. For those that haven't had issues, that's awesome, but I'd encourage you to try out Amsoil for your next oil change, and see if you can tell a difference. You might not even realize you've got any issues until you feel what your bike *should* feel like.

Just my $0.02.
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:46 pm

I use piss and vinegar

makes my bike faster

but most of the time I use redline synthetic, because it comes with a funnel built into the bottle.

40,000 miles, no smoke, not using any oil, clutch is happy, everythings good, so I can't complain.
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:09 am

fixxervi6 wrote: I use redline synthetic, because it comes with a funnel built into the bottle.
theres a man who knows how to live life...no worrying about a funnel
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:04 am

Dude I got one of those measurable funnels with the tube that goes down and the little shut off thing with the cap, picked it up from wallyworld. It's epic!
ImageImageImage

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:11 am

If you really want to know the effects of using rotella on a bike motor, ask me to look at the 1K and you can feel where the trans is fixin to chit all over the place. I only say this because the previous owner (who bought it new) used rotella and even gave me a couple extra he had left when I bought it three years back. I didnt continue to use the rotella but went to Castrol Synthetic because of how well it has kept my truck running since new. Sadly, I dont think the change to syn happened soon enough but at least prolonged the destruction that is to come.
I personally have had my doubts since I read about the rotella train back in 04 when I started lookin for a bike. Some will win and some will lose. Apparently firewa11 and I were on the losing train with running rotella.
Use at your own risk but Id much rather blow the motor in a cage rather than a two wheel thrill while out havin fun. I also find it funny how some folks will spend ass loads of $$ on the best accessories and tires and such but cant handle the thought of spending the same amount on the life blood of the motor.
Im just sayin....
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Striple

Post by Striple » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Grinner wrote:I also find it funny how some folks will spend ass loads of $$ on the best accessories and tires and such but cant handle the thought of spending the same amount on the life blood of the motor.
:plus1: My favorite quote of the day! Oil is your bike's blood, and you probably wouldn't want to get a transfusion of pig's blood either.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

nitzer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Striple wrote:
Grinner wrote:I also find it funny how some folks will spend ass loads of $$ on the best accessories and tires and such but cant handle the thought of spending the same amount on the life blood of the motor.
:plus1: My favorite quote of the day! Oil is your bike's blood, and you probably wouldn't want to get a transfusion of pig's blood either.
Striple, weren't you running it for awhile and even had oil testing done on it about a year ago?
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

Striple

Post by Striple » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:08 pm

nitzerebbhead wrote:Striple, weren't you running it for awhile and even had oil testing done on it about a year ago?
Negative. I've never (intentionally) run Rotella in any vehicle that I can recall. Even when I was young and naive, I was at least rolling with a Mobil 1 cheapo oil.

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor

Post by shilka99 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:16 pm

I spoke to the mechanic at Eurosport about this. I asked him what oil he uses in his own bikes and asked him if he would recommend Rotella. "Why would you use that? Isn't that for diesels? That means it has friction modifiers that won't work in a wet clutch. And ash reduction isn't necessary in a bike"
Bobby, the Aprilia distributor at HSBK also recommended against it.

Both these guys know a lot more about motorcycle engine maintenance than I do. I trust them both more than anecdotal evidence. I'll only use motorcycle specific oil in all my bikes, dry clutch and wet. I don't care if its cheap, that sounds like a false economy to me. I hope it works for those who decide to use it but I'll stick to the best oil I can find designed to work in motorcycle engines.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:01 pm

There is a lot more to oil than just it's API and JASO ratings. Additives for specific applications make a huge difference in how well the oil protects. Rotella T6 is designed specifically for diesel engines and has additives specific to that application. Motorcycle specific oils have additives designed to for motorcycle engines and wet clutches. While Rotella might work it is probably not the best thing for the engine and clutch.
sckego wrote:Shell Rotella T6 meets the JASO-MA standard...
Is that on the bottle? Shell's website sucks and doesn't list it.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:09 pm

If you are using CASTROL ACTEVO X-TRA, it is rated API SG, which is for 1993 and older engines (considered obsolete). CASTROL POWER RS RACING 4T is rated at API SL, which is for 2004 and older engines. The current rating is API SN.

2013 API Engine Oil Guide

Amsoil MCF 10W-40 Motorcycle oil is rated API SG, SL/CF, CG-4; JASO MA/MA2; ISO-L-EMA2; API GL-1 in case you were wondering.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Striple wrote:
nitzerebbhead wrote:Striple, weren't you running it for awhile and even had oil testing done on it about a year ago?
Negative. I've never (intentionally) run Rotella in any vehicle that I can recall. Even when I was young and naive, I was at least rolling with a Mobil 1 cheapo oil.
I am mistaken. Found the thread and it was Miles that said he was using it. You replied to his post.
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 am

I think I will try the amsoil for the comming oil change and see if I can tell any difference. I also got a testing bottle so I will drop some old oil in it when I change the oil so I can have the oil tested. I will let yall know what I find out.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:54 am

Jim, are you still an Amsoil dealer?
ImageImageImage

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:12 am

I'm still a Preferred Customer.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:21 am

If anyone is interested, I will be making an order soon. I'm a few hundred miles overdo on my bike. If you want anything let me know and I can get you a price. I have to pay sales tax and shipping so I will probably not be able to beat prices locally or online. I'm not a Dealer.

For instance, 1 qt of MCF 10W-40 oil would be $11, shipped to my house.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 am

That's not bad, I'm assuming that's after tax. Cycle Center in Denton sells it for $11.95 /qt.

Do you get a discount by the case?
ImageImageImage

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:32 am

When will ya be making the order?
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold