Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Re: new section on ridesmart.info

Post by shilka99 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:50 am

I moved the link to the Blogs to the front page, bottom of the list. This should make it easier for everyone.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

Pooty
Achievement count: 0

Post by Pooty » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:13 am

Thank you
Great read-all of it
Glad i didn't miss it
Good writing

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:04 pm

I just posted a new blog, this time its a followup to last weeks blog on Body Position. That one got a log of interest and today I answered some of the questions that came in as response to last weeks subject.

If you guys do read it, please let me know what you think. I'm getting questions on the issues I write about but no critique of the blog itself. I'm looking for any feedback you can think of, and if you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks.
Shaun in McKinney

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:50 pm

I admit this is the first time i've been over to the blog on ridesmart, but i absolutely love it! Some things that i would think would be good/helpful, would be "what goes through most peoples heads their first track day". I read "beginnings", but it was from your view with a different origination & didn't touch on the "head game" too much. I think it would be an extremely useful tool to lay out some of the things other than body position, tires, gear, looking through corners, etc... The track is much of a head game as it is a physical actions & for first timers this can be too much if they don't know what feelings they have to expect until they get there. I know this was a very big thing with me the very first time & it would have been nice for someone to touch base on some of the mental aspects of track ride so i wouldn't have been such a nervous wreck. "how do first timers or newbies come mentally prepared"

My first track day i was so nervous about some of the most simple things that didn't even matter...

I'm currently trying to think of things myself that fit this. Anyways i thought it would be helpful to newbies. Keep up the good work on the blogs, i'll be looking for them from now on.

also in "body position again" There is a typo "If your car could lean the glasses wouldnt slide because the lean would balance that force." I think you mean gasses or gas????
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:39 pm

milesmiles wrote:I'm currently trying to think of things myself that fit this. Anyways i thought it would be helpful to newbies. Keep up the good work on the blogs, i'll be looking for them from now on.

also in "body position again" There is a typo "If your car could lean the glasses wouldnt slide because the lean would balance that force." I think you mean gasses or gas????

Please let me know if you think of issues of mental focus that new riders should consider. I think at this point i take these for granted and am not even aware that other people dont do the same.

Regarding the typo - i referenced the glasses on the dash in an earlier paragraph so that is indeed the correct spelling.
Shaun in McKinney

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:21 pm

Doh, no wonder I was confused.

I think my first time was just overwhelming because I hadn't expected the anxiety that came along with everything. A lot of time that same feeling is what keeps people from ever trying the track in the first place. After the first track day those feelings went away

I think that's why you hear a lot of people talking about how they want to do track or how they are interested, but never end up going.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:30 pm

My initial anxieties centered around being older than the average newbie, then I saw that a lot of the instructors were my age, and I didn't feel quite so out of place. Also, being out there with so many club members, and some guys I had ridden with helped a lot. I think that was really key, everyone was really helpful and encouraging...and smart-ass (which fits in with my personality).

Taking the pick-up ride around the track was a good introduction also, something I highly recommend for first-timers.

After that, I somewhat strangely felt immediately at home being on the track. But it was clear that even into day 2, there were some who still weren't. The nice thing about Ridesmart, the instructors were right there with them, teaching and encouraging, regardless of pace and progress. I never expected to be so impressed by Ridesmart as an entity.

All of that being said, my single biggest anxiety was crunchy my new bike. I had one near-miss, that was all on me, and I learned a lot from it. IF you listen to the instructors, the chances of a bad experience are very, very low in my opinion.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Hadn't ever really thought about age, but that's a good point. Probably goes with youngsters as well. Wonder if monster felt this.

Oddly crunching up my bike wasn't on my list at first, but became later.

Yes the round robin is a HUGE help when I first started.
The world needs Miles

BeautifulDisaster
Achievement count: 14

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

The content looks great, please keep at it; I'm really enjoying reading the blogs. I also would love to hear more about the pre first track day course you mentioned.

Thanks guys for sharing about your experiences, it helps sort out some of my concerns.
"So bright... so beautiful... ah, Precioussss."

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:10 am

I think I bypassed some of the anxiety of my first ever TD by doing a school that provided everything, all I had to do was show up. Then when I did my first RS day on my own bike, I had a good bit of confidence of myself on the track, it was just all the running around between track sessions. Seemed like you were always in a rush between track time even though it's not really the case.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:16 am

That was another huge thing that really got to me the first track day(even the 2nd). All the running around to class & setting up for the next session. I need time to go over what just happened on the track & i never got that chance until the end of the day....then it was a bit to late to gain from what had happened. Matter of fact i would put this at the top of the list.

The truth of the matter is it's not as hectic once you get into the routine. While it does move a long at a swift pace there is time to decompress & go over things with yourself. I wish i would have known that the first track day or two. Someone should have just told me to chill, grab a chair & sit back for a bit.
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:59 am

My worst problem on my first track day, ice skating on those damn 2CT's
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:03 am

fixxervi6 wrote:My worst problem on my first track day, ice skating on those damn 2CT's
marbles man, ICE marbles!!!

First time i hit the track with brand new tires i was terrified. Again, someone should have told me to calm the F' down! It was perfectly fine when getting them warm & scrubbed in.
The world needs Miles

BeautifulDisaster

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:16 am

Being frank, my biggest worry is that someone else is going to make a mistake and I pay for it... either getting hurt and/or my bike too. I don't know if it's selfish or silly or whatever but it's what I feel. :oops:

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 am

Being frank, you stand a higher chance of that happening on the street than at the track, and with much larger vehicles and consequences.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:31 am

Franks my boy!
The world needs Miles

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:38 am

BeautifulDisaster wrote:Being frank, my biggest worry is that someone else is going to make a mistake and I pay for it... either getting hurt and/or my bike too. I don't know if it's selfish or silly or whatever but it's what I feel. :oops:
That is for sure 100% possible at the track, but you also have some control over what happens, you can (and should) ride defensively on the track same as you would on the street. If someone is making you feel uneasy, back off and give them room (I do that all the time). If they are behind you, let them go around, if they aren't going around, pull off, let them pass, then pull back on, and don't forget you can always pull off and speak with the track marshal at any time during your session.
K1600

BeautifulDisaster

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:13 pm

Firewa11 said the same thing Darc and Fixxer said; thanks guys :icon_smile:

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader

Post by Dragonfly » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:35 pm

milesmiles wrote:That was another huge thing that really got to me the first track day(even the 2nd). All the running around to class & setting up for the next session. I need time to go over what just happened on the track & i never got that chance until the end of the day....then it was a bit to late to gain from what had happened. Matter of fact i would put this at the top of the list.

The truth of the matter is it's not as hectic once you get into the routine. While it does move a long at a swift pace there is time to decompress & go over things with yourself. I wish i would have known that the first track day or two. Someone should have just told me to chill, grab a chair & sit back for a bit.
I did the same thing. First track day I didn't want to miss a thing, so I rushed around. It felt like there was no time to even breath between class and track. The stuff I learned didn't sink in until days later.
Wait till you get about 20 or 30 track days under your belt. It feels totally opposite, you've got time to eat and drink snacks, use the bathroom, go down the street to pick up lunch, change tires, make adjustments to your bike. Hell, h@lf the time I do all those things and still have to wait a few minutes at pit out to get on to the track.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:32 am

DarcShadow wrote:Being frank, you stand a higher chance of that happening on the street than at the track, and with much larger vehicles and consequences.
++

Going on a club ride is *way* more dangerous than doing a track day. On the track you're in full leathers and there's an ambulance on site.

If somebody screws up in Cranfill's Gap and takes you out, you're crashing in street gear and waiting a while for the ambulance to show up.

Shaun, the biggest thing I remember from my first track day was just being overwhelmed. Not getting enough sleep the night before because I was excited and couldn't sleep. Triple checking that I had packed everything. Getting there and not being sure what to do for registration, tech, etc. Then the huge butterflies in my stomach going out for round robin. Feeling like I had a handle on things during the round robin, then absolutely getting my doors blown off in the first session--I thought I was riding fast, but I was the 2nd slowest guy on the track (only caught and passed 1 guy all day). The first time on a new track, I didn't know if the next turn was left or right, so I kept checking up to look at the turn. The pace at a RideSmart event is pretty hectic too, instructors tend to talk a long time because they feel like they have a ton of time, but a first-time participant feels rushed getting to their bike and getting geared up for the session, then feeling rushed to get back to the classroom.

The best advice you can give is to just stay calm. Sit out a session if you get overwhelmed. Understand that you don't have to get to staging right away. Most important, stay on top of your mental condition. Make sure you're only riding at 7/10 or 8/10 your first track day, give yourself mental space to learn rather than getting really stressed.

BeautifulDisaster

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:42 am

Ah good points. So it's stranger danger! ;) We just need a club track day... no worries! But if you offer me a piece of candy I will wonder... No really I overthink at times. We were watching some videos and it all looks like so much fun I'm really excited to give it a go (ooooh those sexy sweepers!!!! Lemme at em!) The experiences you guys share; the good, the bad and the wtf, are valuable to me. I pay attention more than I think you realize. Couldn't have asked for a better group of people to learn from and ride with. C'mon warmer weather!!!!!!!!!

++++++Blog talk: Under the "Technical" section, if it is possible to break down cornering and lines and tips and tricks I'd love to see that as an addition.

Pooty
Achievement count: 0

Post by Pooty » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:14 am

It is all of the above......
Anxiety of the unknown
Whats round robin?? Parade?? Never heard of it
Can't find fuse box for brake light..
I know i am not going to sleep well night before.
Used to getting up at 3:00am-going to be long day

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm taking notes to do a first-timers blog.
Shaun in McKinney

LonestarCBR
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Pooty wrote:It is all of the above......
Anxiety of the unknown
Don't sweat it too much. If you have time ( and you should), take the pick-up truck tour of the track, it's very informative. The Round Robin is the first riding you'll do on the track, at controlled speeds, each person in the group gets a lap behind the group leader to further familiarize you with the track. Then a classroom session every hour to yet further familiarize you with the track. There will be several of us there to help with the minor details, then you fall into the routine...this is very much about routine. Routine schedule on and off the track, the track itself will start to become routine, and well, it just becomes FUN! Everything is designed to work with your comfort level.

Do you have a manual for your bike? That should help with the brake light fuse.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Pooty wrote:It is all of the above......
Anxiety of the unknown
round robbin is when your not supposed to wreck so you don't get made fun of

If you put a few layers of painters tape down then you can put down a heavier tape to hide the light.
K1600