Cool Weather Gear?

BeautifulDisaster
Achievement count: 14

Cool Weather Gear?

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:01 am

So what are the best (and not most expensive!) essentials for taking the bike out as the weather gets cooler?

I see the balaclava ads everywhere so I'm guessing those are a must? How about gloves for warmth under gauntlets? Is it better to pile on layers of shirts and sweatshirts under a jacket or just go ahead and get a warmer riding jacket?

What do you guys prefer?
"So bright... so beautiful... ah, Precioussss."

LonestarCBR
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 32

Re: Cool Weather Gear?

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:06 am

Electric vest can be a god-send, and helps keep you from ending up looking like the Michelin woman. Of course there are other electric goodies as well. Heated grips? I've got some I need to install before winter.

Lots of good ways to attack cold weather however, head to toe. Balaclava helps seal your helmet / neck. Gauntlet gloves, but some can get bulky. The liners in my vented Tourmaster gear actually works well also...at least down to 45 or so.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

BeautifulDisaster

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:14 am

Oooh bike tinkering! I'd like to check out those heated grips in action- maybe we could have a field trip to your garage and help you install those? Plus I'd like to see that electric vest! See what I did there? Just suggested an impromptu gathering at your place; it would be a gathering of knowledge sharing and bike wrenching! (Mayhem probably, and I apologize in advance).

Off topic but it's my thread so I'm okay with this: How are you feeling? :-D

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:15 am

Good. Surgery a week ago, I'm at work for the first time today. Was bored out of my gourd home alone. Thanks for asking.
~ Terry

BeautifulDisaster

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:18 am

All the more reason for a cold weather gear gathering!

That's great, keep on keeping on!!

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:34 am

Get a decent pair of winter gloves, a balaclava, a textile jacket and pants with a liner, and long johns. For the most part that will get you through the "cold" months here in Texas. When it starts getting cold enough that you need more than that, you probably won't want to ride anyways. And it's that point where your looking at heated gear, and a glow suit.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

BeautifulDisaster

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks Will! Hey I might be down with a glow suit!

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:07 am

1. Block the wind
2. Insulate under your wind blocking

Doesn't matter how you do those two steps, but you have to do them to stay warm. #2 is easy, you can just layer up, or have a jacket with a liner, or whatever. #1 is actually the tougher one. You find out pretty quick where the gaps in your gear are. You also figure out that leather breathes pretty well, and doesn't actually keep you as warm as it could.

I ride until it's below freezing, then it's a day-by-day call whether I think there's going to be frost on the roads on the way to work. Since I bought my Klim gear, I don't even bother wearing insulating layers for commuting to work--it's plenty warm without because it does so well at the wind blocking. I just swap over to winter gloves, zip up all my vents, and call it a day.

The nice thing about riding in January is all the available motorcycle parking. It's when I start waving at other motorcyclists again. Any yahoo can ride when it's 80F out. It takes balls to ride when it's 30F out.

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:20 pm

Rhino wrote: It takes balls to ride when it's 30F out.
:D So true... I don't think I'll ever forget our 30F ride where we stopped at Babes in Granbury for lunch. It was supposed to warm up that day, but the temp dropped instead.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 pm

I had to pull over one time to grab extra gear while going to sonic one time. Remember, cold weather can be just as bad as hot. It slows you down and you can become numb very quickly, not to mention tired and dehydrated.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Rhino wrote:1. Block the wind
2. Insulate under your wind blocking

Doesn't matter how you do those two steps, but you have to do them to stay warm. #2 is easy, you can just layer up, or have a jacket with a liner, or whatever. #1 is actually the tougher one. You find out pretty quick where the gaps in your gear are. You also figure out that leather breathes pretty well, and doesn't actually keep you as warm as it could.

I ride until it's below freezing, then it's a day-by-day call whether I think there's going to be frost on the roads on the way to work. Since I bought my Klim gear, I don't even bother wearing insulating layers for commuting to work--it's plenty warm without because it does so well at the wind blocking. I just swap over to winter gloves, zip up all my vents, and call it a day.

The nice thing about riding in January is all the available motorcycle parking. It's when I start waving at other motorcyclists again. Any yahoo can ride when it's 80F out. It takes balls to ride when it's 30F out.
Klim = $

Good stuff.
~ Terry

Dragonfly
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Club Staff/Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by Dragonfly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:34 pm

WillK675 wrote:
Rhino wrote: It takes balls to ride when it's 30F out.
:D So true... I don't think I'll ever forget our 30F ride where we stopped at Babes in Granbury for lunch. It was supposed to warm up that day, but the temp dropped instead.
I remember leading a ride that started off at 27 degrees and never got warmer. A certain meatball needed to get her 4th and final ride in. She didn't want to wait through the winter to get into the club.

FYI
RS Taichi wind suit to block the wind, looks kinda like a onesie pajama but it works. Olympia- 3 layer jacket with 3 layer overpants. They include a wind proof/water proof layer, a quilted liner layer (for warmth)and then of course the outer layer with soft armour in the usual areas. Your supposed to be able to wear them year round but I usually don't use them till the temps drop below 50.

P.S.
Balaclava and neck gator and winter/water proof gloves are a must.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Not all who wander are lost"

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:36 pm

It's a wonder what covering up your neck will due for helping out with moderate cold weather.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:07 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:Klim = $
No doubt. My jacket was $800. But I've worn it when it's 105F and when it's 28F. I've ridden more than a year in it now and it still looks pretty much like it did when it was new. And it's actual Gore-Tex, so it keeps you dry when it rains.

It's not that much cheaper to buy a winter jacket, a summer jacket, and a rain jacket, and it's unlikely that stuff will last as long as my Klim will.

Oh and some balaclavas are about as useful as a duck fart for keeping you warm at speed. Make sure it has a wind-blocking layer at least from your chin to your collar bone. Otherwise the wind will just blow right through it and you'll get cold quick. I don't care how thick and insulated you think it is, if it's not wind-proof it's a waste of money.

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:52 pm

In my experience, good winter gear plus layers will take care of everything down to the 30s. Once you get below the 30s, then you really need electric gear to stay comfortable.

A couple of years ago I rode across the Rocky Mountains in November. On some mornings, temperatures were still in the teens when I packed up my tent and hit the road. At that point, not even my winter suit, layers, hand warmers (in boots & gloves), winter gloves, balaclava, and heated grips were enough: the icy-cold wind seemed to cut through all the gear like butter, and it felt miserable until temperatures got back up close to the 30s.

The bottom line for me is to use solid winter gear down into the 30s, then switch to electric gear for 20s and teens.

Your mileage may vary.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

BeautifulDisaster

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks a lot you guys! I think I'll go down to cycle gear at some point and see what they have and try stuff out. I definitely don't want to neglect Abernathy (my bike) during the cold season. Hopefully my Yankee blood will kick in and I won't be too cold too fast. :) It's that sudden numbness and lack of feeling that concerns me...hypothermia comes on fast.

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:46 am

BeautifulDisaster wrote:Hopefully my Yankee blood will kick in
Careful...this can get you kicked out of Texas. :SideSplittingLaughter:
~ Terry

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:03 am

BeautifulDisaster wrote:Thanks a lot you guys! I think I'll go down to cycle gear at some point and see what they have and try stuff out. I definitely don't want to neglect Abernathy (my bike) during the cold season. Hopefully my Yankee blood will kick in and I won't be too cold too fast. :) It's that sudden numbness and lack of feeling that concerns me...hypothermia comes on fast.
Cyclegear will have some stuff, but not much selection. They tend to focus on their brand. I'd recommend going to MotoLiberty as well.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200

BeautifulDisaster

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:24 am

Oh that's right! They have a ton there too (forgot about that place- thanks again Will!)

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Yeah, MotoLiberty should be your go-to place for trying on gear. They've got the most stuff in stock.

WillK675

Post by WillK675 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Since there are no rides posted, who's up for a run to MotoLiberty on Saturday? I've got a couple of things I want to go check out as well.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:58 pm

Wish I could, I'm on call this weekend. :(

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Probably riding to Austin
K1600

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by milesmiles » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:38 pm

might ride to motoliberity after work on tuesday if rick can get his act together
The world needs Miles

BeautifulDisaster

Post by BeautifulDisaster » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:15 pm

LonestarCBR wrote:
BeautifulDisaster wrote:Hopefully my Yankee blood will kick in
Careful...this can get you kicked out of Texas. :SideSplittingLaughter:

They can try! ;) Would love to go shopping with you guys but it's pumpkin patch time this weekend!