New here, introduced by 111.

Tell us a little about yourself and say hello to the gang. We would like to hear about who, what, and why you ride as well as how you found us.
beefmobile

Re: New here, introduced by 111.

Post by beefmobile » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:06 pm

I read that. I was more wondering about specific logistics, like where you normally meet, how long the rides are, etc. The 'rules' could be anything, but actual rides could vary.
dufremle wrote:
beefmobile wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

My girlfriend's bike was one of the ninjas, but i just sold both of them a couple days ago. Now she'll be riding the SV650 once it's together. She'll probly roll on the supermoto for the next week or so until the SV finished.

Where do you guys normally meet? How long are the rides, and what are they like? Are they like the Harley riders that have ranks that line up in a very specific way and go 10mph under the speed limit, or like the sport bike riders up by where i live that travel in packs of 50-100 that dominate the road going 100+mph and dont keep any 'riding order'?

Or maybe somewhere in between?
Here is a good start: http://www.fwmr.net/RideStyle.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005 Yamaha FZ6, streetfighter
2000 Suzuki SV650, naked
2002 Kawasaki ZR-7S
1981 Kawasaki KZ440, cafe racer
2008 Qlink XP200, supermoto
1983 Honda XR-80

US Marine Corps and Afghanistan Campaign Veteran

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:55 pm

The majority of our rides start at Sonic in White Settlement. Most rides are at least 100 miles and can last from 4 hours to 6 or so hours. If you go for a ride and need to be back at a certain time, it is OK to inform the ride leader when you leave the group. We have had many people do that and I was one of them (before I became RL). For the most part, I do about 10 over the speed limit (of course that depends on whether it is during the week or the weekend) but my rides are always moderate. If we go down a very twisty road, I will slow down the speed so no one is riding over their head unless I know how each rider rides and I know they won't ride over their head then I will do a speed that is comfortable for a moderate pace. That doesn't mean I will up the speed to drag knee through the turns.

If you aren't comfortable with doing a moderate yet, Rhino leads beginner rides so maybe when he has time, he will post one. We will be having our monthly moderate coming up soon (next weekend or the weekend after, I do believe). Also, if you end on a moderate that makes you uncomfortable, pace-wise, you need to tell the RL.

RL's are in no way there to make anyone uncomfortable. We want people to enjoy riding with us and if you aren't comfortable because of pace or you feel someone will cause an accident, please speak up. We cannot judge how everyone feels even if they seem to be riding fine. We can't see everything because we also have to focus on not wrecking ourselves.

Come try a ride, whether beginner or moderate and see what you think. Let us know too. If you come out to drag knee, it will not be on a moderate and you will be disappointed and no matter how much you want to the RL to go faster, it just won't happen. It won't happen because the ride was listed as moderate and that is as fast as the pace will go. If a pace is not mentioned then it could end up being anything, which depends on who shows up and how they are dressed. I do suggest that you do a few moderates with us before you do an intermediate. That allows the RL to see how you ride and it will let them determine if they think you can handle an intermediate without jeopardizing your own safety or another's safety.

With that said, I hope to ride with you and your girlfriend on a future club ride. :D AND I hope that this answered your questions.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

nitzer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Telo is always so helpful...now get back in the kitchen...LOL :SideSplittingLaughter:
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 pm

nitzerebbhead wrote:Telo is always so helpful...now get back in the kitchen...LOL :SideSplittingLaughter:
I made enough food last night that there is no need for me to get back into the kitchen today :D

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Welcome to the boards. Hope we get to meet you at Bike Night or on a ride soon.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Welcome!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Welcome!
ImageImageImage

beefmobile

Post by beefmobile » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:17 pm

That's what i was looking for, thank you. I imagine i would be comfortable on a moderate ride. I'll look in the club ride section to see exactly when it is.

Hopefully the girlfriend's, Brittany, bike will be ready by then.
Telomere wrote:The majority of our rides start at Sonic in White Settlement. Most rides are at least 100 miles and can last from 4 hours to 6 or so hours. If you go for a ride and need to be back at a certain time, it is OK to inform the ride leader when you leave the group. We have had many people do that and I was one of them (before I became RL). For the most part, I do about 10 over the speed limit (of course that depends on whether it is during the week or the weekend) but my rides are always moderate. If we go down a very twisty road, I will slow down the speed so no one is riding over their head unless I know how each rider rides and I know they won't ride over their head then I will do a speed that is comfortable for a moderate pace. That doesn't mean I will up the speed to drag knee through the turns.

If you aren't comfortable with doing a moderate yet, Rhino leads beginner rides so maybe when he has time, he will post one. We will be having our monthly moderate coming up soon (next weekend or the weekend after, I do believe). Also, if you end on a moderate that makes you uncomfortable, pace-wise, you need to tell the RL.

RL's are in no way there to make anyone uncomfortable. We want people to enjoy riding with us and if you aren't comfortable because of pace or you feel someone will cause an accident, please speak up. We cannot judge how everyone feels even if they seem to be riding fine. We can't see everything because we also have to focus on not wrecking ourselves.

Come try a ride, whether beginner or moderate and see what you think. Let us know too. If you come out to drag knee, it will not be on a moderate and you will be disappointed and no matter how much you want to the RL to go faster, it just won't happen. It won't happen because the ride was listed as moderate and that is as fast as the pace will go. If a pace is not mentioned then it could end up being anything, which depends on who shows up and how they are dressed. I do suggest that you do a few moderates with us before you do an intermediate. That allows the RL to see how you ride and it will let them determine if they think you can handle an intermediate without jeopardizing your own safety or another's safety.

With that said, I hope to ride with you and your girlfriend on a future club ride. :D AND I hope that this answered your questions.
2000 Suzuki SV650, naked
2002 Kawasaki ZR-7S
1983 Honda XR-80

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Just keep an eye on the club ride section (you can subscribe to it so if anything is posted you will get a notification). The ride leader will post up a ride in that section and I have been trying to add those rides to the calendar after the aral posts one up.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Also you should get the girlfriend to sign up on the boards ... Telomere gets lonely in the women only section.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:11 pm

DemonDuck wrote:Also you should get the girlfriend to sign up on the boards ... Telomere gets lonely in the women only section.
I actually stopped talking to myself in there. I can only answer myself so many times.

beefmobile

Post by beefmobile » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:30 pm

I'll have her make an account...you guys can keep each other company :-D
Telomere wrote:
DemonDuck wrote:Also you should get the girlfriend to sign up on the boards ... Telomere gets lonely in the women only section.
I actually stopped talking to myself in there. I can only answer myself so many times.
2000 Suzuki SV650, naked
2002 Kawasaki ZR-7S
1983 Honda XR-80

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:10 am

I could join the women's section. I'm pre-op so does it count? :o
ImageImageImage

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:08 pm

beefmobile wrote:I'll have her make an account...you guys can keep each other company :-D
Telomere wrote:
Works for me....inform she needs to be active (on here) too :)
Firewa11 wrote:I could join the women's section. I'm pre-op so does it count? :o
It might work...You will just have to learn how to talk like a girl on here so you fit in.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Telomere wrote:
Firewa11 wrote:I could join the women's section. I'm pre-op so does it count? :o
It might work...You will just have to learn how to talk like a girl on here so you fit in.
Does that mean I need to be judgemental and lash out on people about things that are none of my business? :evil:
ImageImageImage

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:19 pm

Firewa11 wrote:
Telomere wrote:
Does that mean I need to be judgemental and lash out on people about things that are none of my business? :evil:
If that is what girls do, then yes :D

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Firewa11 wrote:
Telomere wrote:
That is exactly what it means. Remind me to tell you something funny. :SideSplittingLaughter:
DR650
Have cool, will travel

LonestarCBR
Achievement count: 32

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:06 am

Stardog82 wrote:...and occasionally we stop to beat up drifters.
This has slowed down some with everyone owning bike cameras now...there is the fear that someone will post a video of you getting your ass handed to you buy said drifter.
~ Terry
'12 Speed Triple 1050 ABS, '07 GSX-R750 (track)
Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.
Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it. EK

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:29 am

Lonestar, we need to make a special view for you to show when a thread is really old when you try to reply to it. :D

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Telomere » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 pm

Rhino wrote:Lonestar, we need to make a special view for you to show when a thread is really old when you try to reply to it. :D
Nah, just a name change :)

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Hmmm, I guess I'd have to ask why are you reading it then? :D :D

What new name do you suggest? :HeadScratch:
~ Terry

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm reading it because the icon on the thread changes telling me there's a new post and I'm a moderator, so I have to read everything to make sure we're not getting spammed.

LonestarCBR

Post by LonestarCBR » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Well, great job. I don't like Spam, never could stand the smell of the stuff. Thanks for keeping me in line.
~ Terry