Wataga Police Chase

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
john05.636
Achievement count: 0

Wataga Police Chase

Post by john05.636 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:00 pm

Anyone hear the details about that chase?

Dashcam Video: Motorcycle Hits Watauga Squad Car
A police chase in Watauga lands a motorcycle rider and his passenger in the hospital. Officers say the pursuit ended when the motorcycle driver...
Nov. 30, 2007, 5:58 p.m. CT

http://cbs11tv.com/video/?id=23121@ktvt.dayport.com
http://cbs11tv.com/video/?id=23122@ktvt.dayport.com

They only have the dash cam video of the start and the ending.
YMMV,

John
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
MSF RiderCoach

doughboy

Post by doughboy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:10 pm

Man I pray they both ended ok!!!
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value!

digi

Post by digi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:04 pm

So much for the no chase policy, eh?
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:07 pm

Damn, looked like the cop aimed for him. Cant see that being an accident. This is in my backyard too. Starnes and Rufe Snow is the last intersection I turn through to get home. There are already flowers on that intersection from another accident about a month ago.

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:27 pm

I watched the videos when it was first posted. It sounded like the one chasing him said 'You got him' to the car approaching from the other direction. Then, that video looked like the cop pulled forward into the path of the bike (after the cop had stopped).

Chases are never right ... for either party. If either the rider or the passenger lives, it's going to be a miracle.

If you guys hear any follow up, post it.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:51 am

I would like to believe he didn't turn to hit him intentionally but rather to just block him and the bike was going faster then he though. Hard to say though.

I do want to know what type of car the cop was driving that started the chase, it sounded sweet under acceleration.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

john05.636

Post by john05.636 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:40 am

I wonder why the cop lit him up to begin with. Was there probable cause while sitting at the stop light? Did they meet the description of some bank robbers? It looked to me like the rider was neglent for running and the cops used excessive force to stop them. Just as a cop can't shoot an asailant in the back as they flee they shouldn't be able to crash into them.
YMMV,

John
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
MSF RiderCoach

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:47 pm

I realized after doing a little more research, this incident was Aug 26th.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:09 pm

I don't think the cop was intentially trying to hit the bike, I think he was attempting to block the road, and then pull out to do a u-turn and give chase. I mean, that happened really quick....

I think the car is a Charger. Watauga has a few of them that I've seen.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:02 pm

I kind of wondered what the bike did wrong too. I'm assuming he did something earlier before the video started and the cop didn't get behind him till the light and just waited till they turned off the major road to pull him over.

beercap

Post by beercap » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:04 pm

No contest, the biker broke the law and it's passenger, blah blah blah...

but the angry adrenaline consumed police officer moving at high speeds
down the neighborhood is absolutely unjustified... watch the video again
and count the intersections that he flew by as cars stopped to let him thru...

We would have a different subject to discuss if he would have hit one
of these neighborhood cars. In Grapevine we have handicaps on wheelchairs
that cross simmilar roads to the local Walgreens, elders that move at 15 MPH
top speed. This police officer need not apply in my city, he/she is unsafe,
watch the proof again...

Typical example of when the chase has to be abandoned for the safety
of prospect collaterals.

:sad:
Beercap
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9436/twins1zv7.gif[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9751/opusfinalgf2.gif[/img][/url]

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:15 pm

I agree with you there. I thought that as I was watching it, that he was flying through those intersections pretty damn fast. And for what? License plate in the wrong spot? speeding? stunting? Nothing short of murder would justify speeds like that in a residential area like that.

Nothing against cops, I wouldn't want their job, but I do hope this one gets at least gets a stern lecter about the speeds he was doing through those intersections.

The one that hit the bike, I truely do think he was just turning to block the road and the bike was moving a hell of a lot faster then he thought.

Bird

Post by Bird » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:48 pm

After further review, I agree with DS ... the bike WAS traveling fast and the cop just didn't think about what was about to happen as he pulled forward. HOWEVER, BeerCap hit it right on the head about the chasing cop putting others at risk.

You guys all know that *I* don't support running ... I also support the local law enforcement when I pay my 'sport bike tax' ... BUT, the chasing cop should have just backed off and quit running the intersections ASSUMING that everyone would see his lights.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:08 pm

Update on this chase/crash in today's Star Telegram

http://www.star-telegram.com/629/story/346994.html
Mike

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:06 pm

So many things gone wrong. Looks to me like the second officer intentially hit the motorcycle though. Dont know why he ran, but I dont think the cops had good enough reason to chase.

I see 50/50 blame though. You run, you make the cops wonder why you are running, and they want to chase. Cops should have known better without any better reason than he ran a red light.

rnbcbr1000

Post by rnbcbr1000 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:19 am

I don't know why he decided to run but obviously he was guilty of something or else he would have just pulled over. I am torn between what is right and wrong. When you make the concious choice to run from the police you also take the resposibility of your actions and the future outcome. It does appear that the second officer did not try very hard to stop short of the motorcycle but is he really to blame. In my mind no, he reacted to the current situation as he saw fit.

I have seen first hand the outcome of a motorcycle traveling at a high rate of speed that impacted, T-boned, a passenger car with two elderly individuals present. All three were killed as the motorcycle operator flew off the bike and his body impacted the two in the car. I think the officer could have possibly saved more lives by doing what he did. I also feel that stiff penalties should be imposed on the motorcycle operator. Attempted vehicular manslaughter sounds about right to me, two counts, one for his passenger and one for the police officer that he hit.

The rider made the decision to run, thus he should be solely accountable. Just my opinion, but we have to remember that we as individuals are responsible for our actions and should, no have to be held accountable. Just think if that bike had impacted you while you were making a turn and killed your two young children in the back seat, how would you feel then. Even though I love to ride very fast, there is a time and place for it and I have to side with the police on this one as I think they saved lives in the end.
[url=http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture3qf8.jpg][img]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8339/picture3qf8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Jason

If you're not riding on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:49 pm

*UPDATE*UPDATE*

Heard on the news thurs or fri morn...City of Watuga(or whatever) is requesting investigation into the matter(the officers actions) by Tarrant County.(Yesssss!!!) Also, just heresay, I have been told by a few that live in that area and Haltom that some of the officers there have Little D!$k Syndrome...
I personally don't agree with the rider for running but as a few have pointed out...the officer who initiated the chase may have put more lives at risk than the rider...
4000lb car slamming into civilian vehicle resulting in the death of the driver and passenger and the family standing on the corner out for an evening walk and who knows what else, or, the 750lbs of rider, passenger, and bike slamming into said vehicle and only killing the passenger and injuring the rider...
Yes, there are many different scenarios this could have taken but take into account that the officers should have been the better party and shown better judgment.
I again do not think that the rider should have ran but I also want to ask, "what was the officer that caused the incident doing turning into the oncoming lane in the first place (causing the rider to move into oncoming traffic) instead of just blocking the intersection and possibly slowing down the runner?!?!"
Just my 2cts!!! :-(
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

ZX9R

Post by ZX9R » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:47 pm

One of my customers told me today that the gentlemen had minimal damage. The young lady broke both her legs and is in bad shape but stable.

I don't agree with running. Rumor has it that the rider did not commit a moving violation at all. However, I would have to agree with Grinner +1. The po-po would have gained more resepct from me if they had used better judgement. I have seen a guy run after speeding and the cop chased for a little bit then turned off his lights and followed back a ways rider stopped and bam feloney offense. Most of us have all been stopped and 99% of the time get just a slap on the hand if you cooperate.
Riding around aimlessly will get you no where!

2000 ZX-9R
2005 ZX-10R
2011 YZF-R1

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:29 am

the rider probably didnt have an MC endorsement or insurance or something like that and didnt want his bike impounded. Dumb reason for running, but certainly not cause for a police chase either.

Super Dave

Post by Super Dave » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Nobody runs, nobody chases! If you run you are an idiot................end of story!!!!! :-?

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Nobody disagrees with you there. Just disagreeing with the idiot cop doing the chasing that's hurting people not involved in the chase...
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage