didnt want to hijack polo's job search thread

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

didnt want to hijack polo's job search thread

Post by shilka99 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Okay heres a question relating to job hunting and one of the companies that someone suggested Polo apply to.
*Company asked me to apply for a few jobs last year, segment manager(streetbikes), video creation, website maintenance, office assistant (A+ work). I was told I was either overqualified or underqualified for each one. No problem, I get that I just wasn't the right person. Time to move on and look elsewhere.
Then a few months ago I got a call from their new HR manager saying they had my resume on file and they would like me to apply for a number of positions, including Tech support, customer support, copy writer, social media coordinator and content creation for their online magazine, among others.

I went in again for interviews 5 through 14. Including 3 hours of knowledge tests.
I was told I was overqualified for everything except the last one, which had already been filled.

Now excuse my french, but, What the Fuck?

I didn't approach them for any of these - they called me;
"Theres a job open here we think you would be perfect for. Please apply and we'll get you onboard."

Thats a total of 9 jobs they asked me to apply for, and they rejected me for every one.

If I was applying for brain surgeon or rocket scientist I would totally understand not being hired. But I was applying for jobs, on their urging, that I would be very good at, jobs I have lots of experience doing. They were very excited by the fact that I'll be coaching for California Superbike School soon, and loved the fact that my blogs on Ridesmart.info have over 200,000 (!) hits. At least thats what they said in person.

Sorry if this sounds a little bitter. I'm just venting some frustration. But I would love some feedback.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 4

Re: didnt want to hijack polo's job search thread

Post by 111 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Definitely sounds frustrating. I can't imagine a company telling you that you are over qualified when they asked you to interview. Maybe the company didn't want to pay what you are worth or maybe they weren't being fully honest with the job details. Maybe they thought your skills set far exceded the need and were afraid you would become bored and leave.

I have passed on resumes that were over certified an under experienced. For example one of the resumes i saw recently was ccie certified with limited experience. His knowledge was very deep but very narrow. I felt like he was just trying to add to his resume and wouldn't be here long enough to make it worth hiring him.

I just interviewed 14 people over the last 3 weeks for a network position. Finding strong knowledgable engineers is probably the hardest thing I have done next to buying a house. The problem I usually see it's that people aren't as knowledgable as their resume depicts or they have been pigeon holed into doing a certain task.
Last edited by 111 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Red on Black 12 GSXR 600

Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 4

Post by 111 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:10 pm

I've also heard of companies interviewing highly skilled individuals to learn or obtain ideas and tricks.
Red on Black 12 GSXR 600

JeffStrom
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by JeffStrom » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:30 pm

Just a few months ago I had a third party recruiter cold call me for a large company that was hiring. I though it sounded decent so I did a couple of phone interviews. A couple of weeks later I had heard nothing so I sent the recruiter an email and asked for status. They said the company hired someone else for one job and had chosen not to fill another one. This same recruiter called me again a month later with more jobs at the same company. I told him I wasn't wasting my time and that they had the notes from the last interview and could decide from that if they wanted to fly me out for an in person.

I have had some experience with companies that have policies that they must post every job and they can't fill a position unless they have some minimum (like 3) applicants or wait several months with the req open. So they go out and try to get as many people to apply as they can even though they pretty much know who they are going to hire. Also, sometimes the HR folks are incentivized to get as many qualified applicants as possible. And every time I run into something like this I think there has to be a better way; but I never figure out what it is.
Jeff - Street Triple 675R / GSX-R600 / F850GSA

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:18 am

I honestly don't understand the idea of not hiring someone who is "overqualified". Make the offer and if the person is willing to work for what you pay then hire him. Even if he/she isn't a long term employee they might bring many good ideas and changes with them that can help the company as a whole long term.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:00 am

The problem with hiring someone over qualified is the fear that they will take the job as a paycheck, not put 110% into it and hop as soon as something better comes along.
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:01 am

Yea I guess I can understand that but if you have a resume then you can see before you call the person that they are overqualified so why even call them.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:04 pm

But my question is - why ask me to apply? They had my resume, they knew my experience. Why put me through all those interviews and say no thanks? It was a monumental waste of my time and theirs. It was insulting and demeaning and depressing.
Shaun in McKinney

Polokid69
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 23

Post by Polokid69 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:48 pm

I agree especially since it was at their suggestion
Current Bike:
KTM RC390

Previous Bikes:
2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
1983 Kawasaki GPZ550
1980 Yamaha RD400
1978 Yamaha DT 125
1978 Yamaha YZ 125
1975 Yamaha DT 100

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:29 am

It might not help at all but I would actually send an email to someone high up in the company. Explaining your disappointment and all over this. Let them know that you was honestly looking forward to working with them and all. Who knows you might end up with a great position because they like what you had to say and all or .... worst possible thing is nothing happens then you have lost nothing.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 am

DemonDuck wrote:It might not help at all but I would actually send an email to someone high up in the company. Explaining your disappointment and all over this. Let them know that you was honestly looking forward to working with them and all. Who knows you might end up with a great position because they like what you had to say and all or .... worst possible thing is nothing happens then you have lost nothing.
Not a bad idea at all.
K1600

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:17 pm

Recruiters are dumb. I get all kinds of stupid requests for me to apply here or there. My resume clearly states my Top Secret Clearance expired in 2005. I still get them asking about it. Like I said, recruiters are dumb...

I could've said that they heard that accent of yours and said, "oh hell no...." :)
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:46 am

Now no one at the company is taking my calls, or returning them. Emails are all being ignored. The 'friend' who got me the initial interview is also dodging me despite his earlier request for private dirt and track rider coaching. I get the distinct impression that he's embarrassed about this whole thing.
I also found out via facebook that several of the people I interviewed with are hardcore fundamentalist christians. Makes me wonder if expressing my atheist views on facebook caused a problem.
Shaun in McKinney

nitzer

Post by nitzer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:27 am

Sounds like they are pretty unprofessional and therefore it's probably good you don't work for them...
- Derek

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:56 am

RC30Rider wrote:I also found out via facebook that several of the people I interviewed with are hardcore fundamentalist christians. Makes me wonder if expressing my atheist views on facebook caused a problem.
A story for another time but I found my views landing me in an office talking to a company lawyer before...it's pretty wild how far some people will go when they encounter a stead fast belief not in alignment with their own. I've gotten to the point I refuse to talk about my beliefs unless I'm being asked specific questions.
K1600

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:32 am

That's why I'm not on Facebook. Well, under my real name.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:36 am

nitzer wrote:Sounds like they are pretty unprofessional and therefore it's probably good you don't work for them...
My thoughts exactly. Its just a damn shame. As described, it would have been my dream job, writing about motorcycles and motorcycle accessories. And the discounts!!!! Oh my god the discounts.
Now I'm left wondering why/how the hundreds of people who do, and will, work there are somehow more qualified in the motorcycle field than I am.
Shaun in McKinney

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:00 am

I would hate to think that your views on just about anything would make a difference on getting a job or promotion or not but then I have seen it come into play before. Although it wasn't what a person put on face book or anything it was a conversation they had with a whole different employee that someone heard and felt uncomfortable because of. Stupid if you ask me.

Anyway I hope they end up getting back to you and things go well. Who knows someone might be trying to check into it before they get back with ya.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

nitzer

Post by nitzer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:07 am

I remember when I got hired at HP. I applied and didn't hear from them for 3 months. Then out of the blue I got an offer letter. It could be that the position you applied for got cancelled or even wasn't authorized and they are embarrassed. I've worked for companies that jerk people around and it's usually because of some HR policy. I doubt they looked at your facebook close enough to find some non-religious bias. They technically can't deny employment because of that. Religion is part of the protected rights just like race, sexual orientation, sex...

Qualifications have very little to do with a lot of jobs. Most of the time it has to do with who you know and nothing to do with what you know. Besides GM and the first job I got after the Army, all of the positions I've held were recommended by someone I knew at the company or through a friend who knew someone at that company.
- Derek