What do you like/not like about your current ride.

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

What do you like/not like about your current ride.

Post by Tooner » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:47 pm

It fascinates me how some bikes can look so similar and yet feel/ride so differently.

My newest (used) bike is a blue 2005 R6 that I have had about a month. I like that is wan't very expensive and it already has its first (dozen) scratches and scrapes so maybe I will push it a little harder at the track not worrying so much about adding more battle scars. It has been fun getting it up to health; changing all the fluids, working on an oil and a gas leak, and basically cleaning it up. Its a work in progress and I hope I will learn to love it but parked next to the CBR 1000 its going to take some time to grow on me.

Part of me likes grabbing gears and reaching for the high rpm power, but it is a 600 and after all the fancy tweaks and upgrades it seems that at the end of the day there is no substitute for CC's in the power dept. This R6 is lighter than the CBR 1000, but I have also noticed that for some reason I have to work to get it to lean as opposed to the CBR that practically loves to lay into the turns, maybe I just need a few hundred more R6 miles to get used to it. I wonder if the conti motion sport touring tires that came with it are part of the issue. I will know soon as I have some Battle axe S21's coming.

What do you like/not like about your current ride? What bike would you like to be riding?
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Re: What do you like/not like about your current ride.

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Tire type, size, and front/rear combo's have a major impact on how a bike feels and handles. You can have two identical bikes with different tires and suspension setups and they will behave like two completely different animals.

As for you I like/not like about my current ride...the fact that it's in several pieces, a few of which are probably still at Cresson.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:22 pm

DarcShadow wrote:Tire type, size, and front/rear combo's have a major impact on how a bike feels and handles. You can have two identical bikes with different tires and suspension setups and they will behave like two completely different animals.

As for you I like/not like about my current ride...the fact that it's in several pieces, a few of which are probably still at Cresson.

That's good to hear, If those Conti motion tires didn't have so much tread life on them I would have already swapped them out. I hate living on a budget!

Ya, that is a bummer your bike lost some weight, I hope you didn't acquire any new plates, pins or rods from your orthopedic surgeon.
Shane
2018 crf450r

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:57 pm

If you are looking for an excuse to mount some fresh tires try the manufacture date.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Stardog wrote:If you are looking for an excuse to mount some fresh tires try the manufacture date.

What would you consider old?
Shane
2018 crf450r

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:30 pm

I like the power profile, the brakes, the stability under heavy braking.

I don't like the cost and location of parts, the fuel mileage.
K1600

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:51 pm

This is an awesome question.
My primary ride is the aprilia. This beast is nimble, agile and powerful and sublimely controllable, predictable to the point of complacency. I love the fact that it makes me feel invincible on the track. I know that it can brake harder, corner harder and accelerate harder than I can. And even when I make a complete meat-head move, the traction control will step in and make me look like a hero as I power slide through a 90 mph corner.
At CoTA the RSV4 shone every time I went there. One time I rode an AMA superstock prepped GSX-R1000 and, while it was fun, it lacked the finesse of the aprilia. It felt like a scoop of Suzuki vanilla compared to an aprilia zabaglione. Where the GSX-R had the slightest, almost imperceptible unpredictability in the first few degrees of throttle opening, the aprilia was smooth, precise and perfectly balanced. If I overlaid video from a session on each bike I bet the aprilia would pull a bike-length or two out of each corner. At least that's what it felt like, and that's what I like - the feeling of confidence and certainty. Everything was progressing how I wanted, it was not a compromise between what I wanted and what the bike could give me. If I hadn't compared the two bikes back to back the GSXR would have been great, but it suffered in the comparison.
And on top of all this it looks amazing. And that exhaust note!! There's a tunnel on the Pacific Coast Highway I used to ride through that was built just for this machine. I love that V4 growl. Like darth vader gargling with gravel and battery acid.
I like to park it right in front of the door into my garage so I get to look at it every time I leave the house. The carbon Akrapovic and its heavily blued titanium pipe, the gold wheels are Italian incarnate. Stylish to a fault; form and function combined. It doesn't feel like a mass produced appliance. Every part, even inside the engine, looks like its been designed to look stylish as well as efficient, even if that made it more difficult or expensive to manufacture and maintain. Just look at the valve shims as the perfect example. They are a massive pain in the ass to adjust, but consider the reason - the engines narrow Vee angle and the beautiful frame. Well okay, I get it.
Everything is very well packaged, no wasted space. Many parts do double duty to minimize clutter. Lucky for me I do my own maintenance. I'd hate to have to pay ~$600 for a routine valve check.
Now the bad news. Every single one of the 10 plus people I know who has an RSV4, bar one (Rick), has had major mechanical problems. And I mean MAJOR. Several engines have exploded, several transmissions have exploded, and several electrical issues have left riders stranded.
With this in mind I'm taking insane precautions with mine. Oil and filter change every 200 miles (after every track weekend), valve clearance check every 2000 miles (so far 2 valves were borderline after only 2,500 miles) and constant cleaning and inspection. It has 3,600 miles now and I'm about to swap the brake fluid and coolant for the 3rd time, in addition to changing the fork oil for the second time.
Then of course comes the cost. I waited a long time to buy the perfect bike, and the wait was worthwhile. The only bike I can think of that I would want more than this one is a newer one. And if I manage to sell the Honda, that's exactly what I plan to do.

As for the rest of the bikes in my garage, the RC30 defies description. Its truly a legend and feels like it. It's actually more confidence inspiring than the RSV4. But what the aprilia does with electronics the Honda did with mechanical engineering. I just wish I could get spares for the engine (plain bearings). Now its just too valuable to ride without the constant worry of damaging something that cant be repaired or replaced. Its time it went into a museum.
The only bike that could possibly replace this one? An RSV4.

The KTM 520 is perfect -finally. I love it. Its a fantastic dirt bike and an even better supermoto racer. Its tough, its insanely powerful and it handles just how I like after several years of installing upgrades and mods. I had to machine my own mount for the steering damper, I had to make adapters to mount the bodywork properly, instead of the flimsy stock parts that break constantly. The electric start is perfect. Without it my recently broken leg would never be able to start that monster motor. I love that button. And I could have bought another cheap dirt bike for what I paid in suspension mods.
Now that all the work is finished I cant think of a downside. The only possible option to this bike might be a KTM 350, less mass to throw around on the tight grass tracks I like to race on, but then that would suck as a supermoto. Mine is perfect, 2 bikes for the price of one.

The RGV arrives in a few weeks, but based on the other 4 I've had, its a big bike in a tiny little package. Great power, great handling, looks and sounds like a 500cc GP bike. I just wish it had better suspension adjustability, and better spares availability. Nothing short of an R3 with a turbo could ever replace this thing.

Sorry about going on like that. Just noticed how much I typed!
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:41 am

2008 VFR800...

Pretty comfortable for me to ride on a daily basis, sporty enough for me, and hard bags for running errands/long trips. I dislike the front end since it's so mushy at the moment...
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:11 am

They daytona ticks too much. Used to sewing machine smooth hondas. Makes me nervous.

Kawi- too big and mushy. Great for 80 mph on the interstate though.

Cb750/350- would be nice for them to run....
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

toy752
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by toy752 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:31 am

I have to say out of the three bikes I have owned (2010 650r,2012 ninja 1000,2015 ZX-10r) I like my current one the best.

The ZX-10r has everything the other two were lacking. Coming from two sport touring bikes I thought the riding position was going to be very hard to get used to. Kawasaki did a great job making this supersport very comfortable. There is so much room to move around in the seat. From the suspension to the breaks and traction control this bike is fantastic. The slipper clutch is great from the factory just downshift and let out of the clutch with no worries.

The 50hp over the ninja 1000 has taken some getting used to because this thing will flat out scream. At the track is where it feels most at home. The turn in is far superior to the other two bikes almost effortless.

The things I don't like about it I want the rear sets to go up and back some. Yes I know I can change that with aftermarket ones but they are expensive. Just needs more adjustment from factory.
SV 650 track bike
Sure do miss this one 2015 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10r
Gone but not forgotten 2012 Ninja 1000

WickerMan
Achievement count: 1

Post by WickerMan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:47 am

My CBR500R is a champ. The likes: $399 a year full coverage insurance, lowest MPG tank of gas is 57mpg with 200+miles of range, those HRC colors, stone reliable, cheap plentiful parts, comfortable, quick for 50hp, low maintenance costs, fairly light at 420lbs and it handles well for what it is, it's a Honda.

The dislikes: the clip ons are a little too high for my tastes, it is only 50hp so more power would be nice, non adjustable suspension except for rear spring preload, it's not a Panigale 899 or 949.
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:59 am

Forgot about my GS

What I love
Heated grips
Insane headlights, night riding is no issue
Torque out the wazoo, instant power on tap at any RPM
Plenty of luggage and comfortable two up
Real cruise control
Usable center stand
over 400 miles of range if I don't ring her neck, still 300 miles if I do
The linked brakes are amazing on this machine, even fully loaded I can one finger brake and throw myself over the bars

What I would like to see different
Transmission/clutch don't feel refined like a GSXR or even an ape (who's transmission lacks compared to the GSXR) it's like driving a tractor
I'd like more top end power, another 40 horse would be nice
The electronics leave a bit to be desired, they work well but things like wheelie control cause pogo stick action on the front, and if you forget to adjust the electronics before going off road good luck climbing a hill.
Tire selection is not that great, the wheels are odd sizes
She tends to be a little lose on the front especially above 100mph
And my biggest gripe of all, the damn buttons are not back lit, at night you can see ANY buttons so you can't adjust lights, grips, modes, TC, anything without working by feel.
K1600

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:07 pm

1125R - It hauls ass. The chassis feels amazing, it is fun to ride fast and unlike the 4cyl bikes that I have ridden it is fun to ride in the lower RPM range too. It is vastly more comfortable than most super sports. I have ridden almost 800 miles on it in a day and still felt fresh. I love the V2 sound. I love that it is unique and has multiple unique features that you will find on no other sport bikes outside of the brand. I love the haters.
I hate that it didn't come with a damper and the front end was busy. I hate that the stock ECM and exhaust were weak and heavy. Also the stock tuning made riding around at ~30 a nightmare. It bucked and spat below 4,500RPM ad with the split between the gears that speed was just a headache. With the aftermarket tuning the bike is much much more rideable and way faster too. It will pull cleanly from just over 3,000RPM now. I hate that the motor has to be rotated out of the frame to do valve adjustments, spark plugs etc. I hate that I can't get good brake pads for it and that the braking on that generation was poor. It's fine for one lap on a fast track and then it fades so fast that carrying pace is suicide.

SV650 (full track conversion) - I love passing people on way faster bikes. I love that it is cheap to fix when I break it. When the last motor started popping out of gear I got a sub 2,000 mile street motor to replace it for about $800 shipped. When I broke the frame last July an ebay frame (with a cert of destruction) was $199. I love that you can wring it out without reaching speeds that put you immediately in survival mode. Did I mention that it is cheap and easy to fix?
I hate that the chassis is soft. It is from a commuter bike after all. I don't particularly like the sound. Sure it is a V2 like the buell and with the same redline, but it is low compression and low strung. It doesn't sound cool on youtube. :cool: The ergos are, for me, pretty bad. That is something that I could perhaps work on but I'm not sure where to start. Of course it has aftermarket clipons and rearsets so that is not any kind of hack against a stock configuration SV (which I have never ridden). I am not very comfortable (physically) on the bike like I was with my GSXR600 and like I am with my 1125R.

DR650 - It is fun as hell to ride on the street and on trails, although I will admit freely that I am not a talented trail rider by any stretch of the imagination. Every mod that you can imagine is available. It is relaxed and low profile to to ride around on. It will take you to some breathtaking places that most rides can not reach. As a rule folks look at you a bit less crossed up when you are jumping off of the curbs at your local WalMart when you are on something that looks like a dirtbike. Or maybe that is just my perception. :razz:
Dislikes, well, I changed out the suspension after some 200 miles of riding. But it kind of sucked. Brake dives hard enough to fool you in to thinking that you are doing a very lame stoppie. Some of the stock parts are pretty cheesy.

KX100 - It's a little pocket rocket. It's fast. Goofy fast for being so little. Lots of fun to ride pretty much anywhere that there isn't pavement. You can load it in the bed of your truck without a ramp.
All complaints about it are related to the fact that it was never intended to be ridden by someone of my height or girth. I had to make a custom brake lever so that I could reach the rear brake while I'm folded up on it. The suspension is way saggy with me on it. The bike is intended for a 12 year old Ryan Villopoto. Sometimes I practice wheelies on it but you are going so fast by the time the clutch is all the way out that it is kind of nutz despite being down a tooth in the front. I've looped it a couple (maybe 10) times. It has sustained no notable damage.

TTR-125LE (my parents' but I wreck it more than they do) - It's small like the KX100 but the power is way softer. WAY softer. It has electric start, and a kickstand! Fun to ride and lots of folks have one. Very durable. Only mod is bark guards which are more for lever protection than anything. Pretty sure that they have paid for themselves not even counting the saved pains in the ass.
It is a lot heavier than the KX100 and not as nimble. It doesn't have much power.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:50 pm

Stardog wrote:1125R - It's fine for one lap on a fast track and then it fades so fast that carrying pace is suicide.
Is there a solution to this issue? It kinda kills the sporting abilities of a 'sport' bike
Shaun in McKinney

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:29 pm

It does. That's what we were talking about the other day with Noble's bike and him retiring it for an RSV4 when he couldn't get brakes anymore. Last I talked to him it was on display in his living room. I do have an EBR rotor mount kit that transfers a lot more heat from the rotor in to the wheel. I haven't installed it because it isn't an issue on the street and I haven't had it back on the track. From what Dugger told me it isn't actually just the pads but the caliper getting fire hot the brake fluid boiling. The worst is turn 14 at Eagles. That's the third time the bike has had to reel you in from a very solid speed in a very short period of time and she just doesn't have any love left to give.

In reality I might be able to get good pads for it now that EBR is making parts again. I kind of abandoned the idea of it being any kind of hard hitting track bike when I had a little bit of spare money and decided to upgrade the whole system, only to find that the parts simply didn't exist. I was going to do an RCS19, a good set of pads and a high end rotor. Oh yeah, I think that I was also unable to find a good rotor.

You might at this point be asking why I still own it. Well the brake issues have been the bike's only major downfall and it is actually the only super sport that I have any desire to ride on the street. If I sold it there is not a bike on the market that could replace it besides another 1125R and mine is already modified correctly. It is comfortable, torquey and handles well. On the street I will never use the brakes over and over hard enough to put that kind of heat in them and I'll never again fold myself up on a gixxer for a long ride but on the Buell I am happy. And I love the belt drive. I have slid the Buell around on the street several times with no concern whatsoever. I can't even do that on the track with my SV without scaring the crap out of myself. I THINK that that is because of the zero lash driveline. It might also be because of the superior chassis though. To be fair I have not owned any other super sport since my track day count was about 7. Now it's about 35 and that does make a difference.

One of the likes that I did not mention is that this is one of the last generation of hard hitting bikes with no rider aides. Traction control? Nope. Anti-lock brakes? Negative. Stability control? LOL. It makes my chest feel harrier than it is. Put that down under dislikes too because I rode with Jim and Rick in the rain a while back and they seemed fine. I was terrified. Commuting/getting somewhere in the rain is no big deal but riding twisties is another. The 1/6 turn throttle that I installed after a wrist injury probably doesn't help that aspect much. It is not for the ham of fist.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:24 am

You should take my brothers ZX 14 out sometime. Might be the replacement you would be looking for if you was looking.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:28 pm

DemonDuck wrote:You should take my brothers ZX 14 out sometime. Might be the replacement you would be looking for if you was looking.
I'd love to have a 14 setup with hard luggage
K1600

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by shilka99 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:34 pm

I did some touring on a zx-14 this year and really enjoyed it. I was expecting a barge but it was very nimble considering its enormous girth.
Shaun in McKinney

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:39 pm

I will have another one.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert

Post by Striple » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:59 am

I'm a bit late to this party, but I'm still gonna dance:

Triumph Street Triple 675
This is a super-fun and nimble bike, and with its low-end torque and current gearing (-1, +2) it pulls like a beast. It is probably the most fun bike that you can ride on the street. Being a naked bike, the lack of wind protection can get annoying on longer highway rides, and the stock pegs are too narrow, which is really uncomfortable. Also, the stock rotors are not very durable, which is a pain in the ass. Aside from those issues, the 675 is a phenomenal bike with plenty of power for the street and she is a blast on the track. I've been using her quite a bit for instructing at the track, and its always a hoot.

Kawasaki Concours C-14
I bought this bike about four years ago, and have since taken her across the Rocky Mountains (in late November) and all the way down the Sierra Madre Oriental in Mexico. That bike is reliable, well-balanced, and powerful enough to surprise street squids. This is also my commuter bike, which includes 44-135 miles roundtrip, depending on the day of the week. The C-14 is perfect for the open road and long-distance riding! The only aspect I dislike is the fact that she is a bitch to wrench on. Troubleshooting anything is a pain in the butt, and adjusting valve clearances is like open-heart surgery.

Suzuki DR650
By far the most fun street bike I've ever owned. Not very fast, but incredibly versatile and just a total blast to ride. I just completed a 6,400-mile ride to Guatemala on her, which included multiple crashes in the dirt and a car accident, all of which she took in stride. Thumpers are also incredibly easy to wrench on, and they have a minimal amount of electronics that could make your life miserable. With the right type of gearing you can still cruise at 80 mph and hit the dirt when you arrive at your destination.

Yamaha YZF-R6
My competition race bike has lived through multiple seasons of CMRA races, and is still around for more. I could never imagine riding a 600 inline-4 on the street, but at the race track these bikes are absolutely phenomenal. They don't have any power down low, but will scream if properly ridden in the right rpm range. Shifting gears at 16,500 rpm is intoxicating, and makes these bikes move like the wind. Plus, they handle like a razor blade and cheap parts are readily available on fleabay.

Yamaha TT-R125LE
The last bike currently in my stable is probably the most fun per dollar value. These 125s are dirt cheap, and racing them around a dirt or grass track is an absolute riot. They don't have any power, but they're fast enough to teach you a lot of skills that will transfer to the big bikes. Always remember, the smaller the bike, the more it will teach you.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 0

Post by soslow » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:03 am

Kwak zx7r- If I am truly honest, my ninja is slow, heavy and dated in almost every measurable way but... I love it. Maybe I bought it to recapture my youth. My first ride at 20 years old was a brand new 95 Katana 600 and at that time, the 750s were the business. In 96 Suzy and Kwak gave us something new, something real. I drooled over its' curvy figure and massive ram-air snorkels. The head down/ butt up raceybike riding position, the green, oh the green and purple and white like only the 90s could do. These were dark times, Kurt was dead, Hootie was popular and carburetors were the only option, but sportbikes my friends, sportbikes were coming of age.

It is fast, It handles sweetly, the front end is telepathic, and the noise from the highmount exhaust is clean. It is lusty like Anna Nicole- buxom, sexy and can get the fuck down. The brakes are iffy, the fueling varies with the weather, it destroys tires and eats brakes. It will not help you, it is visceral and involving. I put it on, not get on it. It is raw and angry and savage, It gives no quarter and is ultimately rewarding. It is what a sportbike should be- dangerous and beautiful.