Track bike recommendations

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
WickerMan
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 1

Track bike recommendations

Post by WickerMan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:30 am

So I rode up to Frisco from Arlington to look at a 2013 ZX-6R ABS, what a water haul. How can something be so ragged out in under 5000 miles. Tank dented badly, the owner said "scuffs that wouldn't show up in pictures," dropped on the left "I got it at 1000 miles and never noticed," tires done, clips broken on the mid-fairings, no panel lined up. Anyway I digress.

I'm now casting a wider net and looking past all the electronics I wanted. Can someone recommend a Japanese, FI, 600, with an adjustable suspension?
What is up with this space?
2015 ZX-6R 30th Anniversary
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Track bike recommendations

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:21 am

WickerMan wrote: Can someone recommend a Japanese, FI, 600, with an adjustable suspension?
That is a crazy wide net, you've just listed every Japanese super sport and they will all get the job done for a general track day bike. Each one will have minor differences that are going to be preference dependent so there is no "right answer" that someone else can give you.
K1600

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:06 pm

WickerMan wrote:So I rode up to Frisco from Arlington to look at a 2013 ZX-6R ABS, what a water haul. How can something be so ragged out in under 5000 miles. Tank dented badly, the owner said "scuffs that wouldn't show up in pictures," dropped on the left "I got it at 1000 miles and never noticed," tires done, clips broken on the mid-fairings, no panel lined up. Anyway I digress.

I'm now casting a wider net and looking past all the electronics I wanted. Can someone recommend a Japanese, FI, 600, with an adjustable suspension?
Kind of sounds like a stunted bike, they don't look pretty very long.

Any 600 super sport after 2003 or so is FI with adjustable suspension and despite what anyone says all the big 4 are pretty much equal with each other. They each have minor advantages or disadvantage over the other, but in general they are all sounds machines that will make an excellent track bike. The modern electronics are nice and they can help you go faster, and some of the higher HP bikes they are practically a necessity, but on a 600, unless you are pushing yourself and the bike to the very edge, you likely would never notice the electronics kicking in.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 7

Post by turismon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:41 pm

2006 R6
2014 Daytona 675r
Retired: Ninja 650R

turismon
Ride Leader in Training
Ride Leader in Training

Post by turismon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:42 pm

2014 Daytona 675r
Retired: Ninja 650R

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:54 am

WickerMan wrote: I'm now casting a wider net and looking past all the electronics I wanted. Can someone recommend a Japanese, FI, 600, with an adjustable suspension?

First, My name is Shane and have we met? When I read that you were from Arlington I thought hell, I live in Arlington. Then I see on your profile you live in DWG? I live in DWG also. Dang we need to at least have Coffee one of these mornings!

I have a 2005 R6 that I picked up 6 months ago. If you want to take it around the block and see if you like the feel of an R6 then come on over!
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Assuming that the bike is mechanically in good shape, the single most important aspect when shopping for a track bike is the suspension. Stock suspensions are almost always terrible, and are thus usually the first thing that needs to be replaced in a track bike. This isn't exactly a cheap upgrade ($1,500-2,000 and up), so its a good idea to buy a track bike that already has an aftermarket suspension. Keep in mind that even an aftermarket suspension needs to be properly sprung and serviced, so expect to invest around $300-700 to have it set up. Most new track riders fight this expense as long as possible, only to wish that they would have spent that money early on in the process. A proper suspension setup will not only transform your bike -- it will change the way you ride.
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

WickerMan

Post by WickerMan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:03 am

I've decided to cast a little wider net: 2 wheels, fully faired and runs.

Kidding, I'm joking, I slay myself. I cannot do a dedicated track bike as I have to ride to and from the track. I don't have a trailer, anything to pull a trailer with, no friends with trailers I want to rely on, plus it would be nice to ride around on the street every so often. I like and trust Japanese made things, FI for ease of use, 600cc is all the power I need.

So can someone recommend a model with the best usable stock adjustable suspension. As I would love to burn an extra $2-3k on parts, I'm not willing to do that, and considering my track bike now is rear preload adjustable only, anything has to be better. I'm leaning toward GSX-R600, easy to get my 31"in seem stubbies down, it's the most plentiful and cheapest. I like CBR600 but have never sat on one. R6 is too tall and the seat digs into my thighs, at least on the almost new ones I've sat on. 636 is the shit, but it's either older '03-06 or new '13-15. I don't have a budget but I want an outstanding deal. As I have zero experience on a super sport, except a 5 minute ride on a 2015 GSX-R750 and around the block on a 2007 R6S, I'm trying to research as much as possible before I pull the trigger.
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:08 pm

I really liked my CBR600, it didn't have all the electronics and stuff that other bikes of the same year had but for a first track bike, you don't really need them either. I'm 5'10 and could easily flat foot both feet while sitting on the bike.
One advantage of the cbr600, is they changed very little for several years so most parts from say and '07 also work on a '12. At the same time, this is kind of a bad thing in that it means the '12 isn't all that much better than the '07.

Good suspension is a big deal and if you can find a bike that already has upgrades suspension, great, but if not, it's not a deal breaker. For just starting out, any of the supersports have an ok suspension and they are all fully adjustable.

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JTChiTown » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:53 pm

What's your budget?

Id take a serious look at the Triumph R models (Daytona and Street Triple). They have Ohlins for their stock suspension, plus some other track focused enhancements over the stock versions. Not as common, but a very strong parts support network due to their popularity at the track. May not be as reliable as the Japanese, but it should be close enough to not pose any real difference. Lots of club members ride the triples, there is a reason.

We can't all be crazy....
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 am

^^ Yes you can!
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 0

Post by soslow » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Hey there, we will get you to the track so dont worry about it too much. someone will give you a ride. I totally understand the attraction to 600 track bikes for cheap cash- here are my limited thoughts.

I can throw in some good on the 01-03 gsxr 600- strong motor, beefy frame, best right side up forks ever put on a bike and decent brakes once you sort them out for the heat. (brakes are the weak point of this bike but dont worry, they are up to the task with lines, good fluid and the dust shields removed). I resprung front and rear, ran the stock damper and had no problems. The motor is reliable as a rock and the tranny is slick. the downside is the bike likes to be manhandled around, it falls into corners but settles once leaned over very nicely, it holds lines well but is going to shake a little accelerating through the lower gears. nothing to be concerned with but it will do it. just kind of wagging its head, not tankslappers. decent build quality but it is going to be a bit more stripped down than the cbr/r6. makes them easy to work on because only two bolts hold the thing together sort of idea.

first gen cbr600f41- easier to ride than the gsxr, very reliable, very competitive package that newbies and experts can get it on with. very neutral steering, never does anything unexpected but can haul the mail if you use it right. brakes are good, forks are decent, rear is decent. stable ride that inspires confidence where the gsxr and zx6r(rr) are a bit more of a handful. build quality is the highest but also the most difficult to work on- although still not bad.

r6 (ike shane's bike, not the newer 2007 thundercats hoah model) - somewhere in between the cbr and the gsxr/zx6r- neutral steerer, good suspension, great brakes, good motor and light. can be a little flighty but nothing a decent steering damper can not sort out. not sure what year they went to FI but i can personally attest to carbs being a pain in the tail.

zx6r (04-whatever)- in the vein of the gsxr- lighter, flightier, little more angry and want a heavy hand to ride them hard- the rr especially (600cc). but- first slipper clutch on 600s so that is nice, great brakes, good forks, good motor (especially the 636 cheater).

zx6r (prior to 04 but still in production for lots longer) more of a cbr style 600, built nicely, good engine, decent everywhere and put together nicely.

the statement above about them all being basically equal is spot on. the most important part is the quality of the bike. if it looks like there is the most remote chance it was a stunter, stay away. plenty of impulsive purchased bikes that have been sitting in garages with no miles that need a new battery and a fuel injector cleaning to be sweet machines for less than 3 grand out there. be wary of ebay bodywork and look for crash damage (easiest to spot on the steering stops)

good luck

ps- the 100 bucks for new fork springs and the same again for the shock are monies well spent. get the bike set up for your weight and it will work. yes, you can get crazy with suspension but until you are smoking, emulators, springs and fresh oil will make a huge difference for little money. and good brake pads. and good tires. especially good tires.

WickerMan

Post by WickerMan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks Michael. What weight do the spring cycles for? I'm only 165lbs.

I had considered a F4i, as its the most upright of my considerations. I love Hondas. Finding a low mileage one will be an issue. All the rest, I'm mostly looking 07-12, can be had with under 7500 miles which is what I'm going for. CBR600RR all day long, and pop up in the low miles I want. Someone said once, I thought, that 07-08 were the good ones.

I like how low the GSX are, I feel like I'm in the perfect track position already. I found a 07 w 2800 miles, in Suzuki team colors for some ridiculously low price.

I like my ex renter's GF's 07/08 R6S, and it was just like you said flighty light steering, they put a damper on it and it's fine now.

I would love a 636, but finding a 05/06 low mileage one of those will be a search for sure. I don't know about a 600RR.

Hey Jeff. I had considered both Daytonas. An R model would be exactly what I'm looking for but they are rare, but I will keep my eye out for a good deal on one.
2014 CBR500R HRC
2007 Ruckus winter camo

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 0

Post by soslow » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:14 pm

the spring rate is going vary with the bike/shock-fork set up but if you go to race-tech.com, they have calculators. the good news is you are pretty much in the wheelhouse for factory spring rates. i think pretty much any of the bikes you note will be great as long as it was cared for. good luck.

gsxr750?? maybe the perfect 600?

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:33 pm

WickerMan wrote:Thanks Michael. What weight do the spring cycles for? I'm only 165lbs.

I had considered a F4i, as its the most upright of my considerations. I love Hondas. Finding a low mileage one will be an issue. All the rest, I'm mostly looking 07-12, can be had with under 7500 miles which is what I'm going for. CBR600RR all day long, and pop up in the low miles I want. Someone said once, I thought, that 07-08 were the good ones.
If you get a 08 CBR600RR, I've got a load of spare parts, several of them in one piece, other have been broken down for easier transportation. :D

NakedDentonite

Post by NakedDentonite » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:52 am

subscribed. I have an FZ1 I could do track duty with, but would rather not. Also has to be street rideable as I don't have a trailer. Hard to find a used 600 that hasn't been used abused and spanked by squids. Have been talking to Miles about getting a 675, if only I can convince him to group up and do the valve adjustment with me for a steak and beer..... :idea:
Wheelies are for weenies...
Carburetors get me good gas mileage....

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:21 am

Lol. I'm not sure you want me to do your valves! I had stardog come over to help assist with mine for my first time.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

Stardog
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by Stardog » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:13 pm

If I went shopping for a 600 class track bike for max fun I would get a 675 Daytona. If shopping for a 600 class bike to go racing with I would get an R6.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:22 pm

milesmiles wrote:Lol. I'm not sure you want me to do your valves! I had stardog come over to help assist with mine for my first time.
You mean second time. :D
DR650
Have cool, will travel

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Stardog wrote:
milesmiles wrote:Lol. I'm not sure you want me to do your valves! I had stardog come over to help assist with mine for my first time.
You mean second time. :D
You lose count after you turn so many wrenches. And call so many people
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

NakedDentonite

Post by NakedDentonite » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Stardog wrote:If I went shopping for a 600 class track bike for max fun I would get a 675 Daytona. If shopping for a 600 class bike to go racing with I would get an R6.
Sounds like a deal! How big of a steak do you want and what kind of whiskey? Im serious. I'll assist where I can, but I have never gotten into any internal combustion engine and it scares the crap out of me.... I will make it well worth your time! I'm eying an 07 with 17K for quite a great price.....unknown if valves were done at 12K so I want to get that done.

Guy actually bought it after some trackside damage (tank,broken footpeg,rear cowl damage) and repaired the cosmetic damage. Used to race CMRA he says. Has a salvage title now, but has pics of the damage before and the after pictures (Its surprising how little it takes to total a bike according to an insurance company). On a side note, How hard is it to resell a salvage titled bike that looks and runs great?

Stardog

Post by Stardog » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Oh god, no whiskey. It won't run right. Bubbleberry kush maybe.
DR650
Have cool, will travel

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:05 am

NakedDentonite wrote:
Stardog wrote:If I went shopping for a 600 class track bike for max fun I would get a 675 Daytona. If shopping for a 600 class bike to go racing with I would get an R6.
Sounds like a deal! How big of a steak do you want and what kind of whiskey? Im serious. I'll assist where I can, but I have never gotten into any internal combustion engine and it scares the crap out of me.... I will make it well worth your time! I'm eying an 07 with 17K for quite a great price.....unknown if valves were done at 12K so I want to get that done.

Guy actually bought it after some trackside damage (tank,broken footpeg,rear cowl damage) and repaired the cosmetic damage. Used to race CMRA he says. Has a salvage title now, but has pics of the damage before and the after pictures (Its surprising how little it takes to total a bike according to an insurance company). On a side note, How hard is it to resell a salvage titled bike that looks and runs great?
Not to hard to resell a salvaged bike, but you won't get nearly as much for it, and the majority of people looking at it will be track riders. Track guys know it doesn't take much to consider a bike totaled and often times there is nothing really wrong outside of some minor parts (levers, pegs, etc) and plastics, all of which are usually replaced by a track guy anyway.

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JTChiTown » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:28 pm

NakedDentonite wrote:

Well it's giving you pause.... so will it give the next prospective buyers cause to skim past it?
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

NakedDentonite

Post by NakedDentonite » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:08 am

Well, I said screw the D675. Just picked up an 09 ZX6R Monster Edition for a smoking deal I believe. Even on my short 15 min ride home, its crazy how different it is than my FZ1. Thread to come.