New Bike - Updates, Rambling, Advice Needed

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
NakedDentonite

New Bike - Updates, Rambling, Advice Needed

Post by NakedDentonite » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:06 am

I first joined back in 2015 and wanted to get pretty active but got a job with the Sheriff's office and got busy with life. You know how that is. Ive had a Gen 1 FZ1 since 04/2014 and have put 32K on it since. Love it. Love riding. Love riding across the country to the NC and TN mountains.

Got into AutoX last year after buying and owning a car for the first time in 4 years. Got a Celica GTS but decided to get an NA Miata to AutoX. Also bought a 03 YZ250F.

Had a lot of fun with Autox but I decided I wanted to switch back to bikes and start doing track days. And I can still AutoX my GTS if I want. So I sold my NA Miata.

I know I could track the FZ1 no problem, because for now I'm just trying to get better, ride harder, learn more, and have fun. But I've put her through the ringer a few times and I decided I wanted to jump into the modern age (not so much I guess, considering how much tech is on new bikes!). So yesterday I bought an 09 ZX6R Monster Edition with 37K miles for around 4k.

What sold the bike to me: it has no road rash and had never been down (I looked everywhere), had steel braided lines, chain slack was perfect (Not too tight, like most squid sellers always have it), fork seals weren't leaking, started up and idled fine, and VIN and Engine numbers checked out and were clean. I think I got a good deal.

So we all know work needs to be done when you buy a used bike. I think of most importance is a valve check and adjustment ASAP as well as a fork service (The dust seals are old and cracked, although not leaking). I've been scouring online, looking at everything, looking at manuals, etc. When it gets the valve check, the radiator will be removed and coolant flushed. Spark plugs replaced then as well. I am aware of the R&R recall and will do some investigating to see if mine has already performed the recall. Anyone got a pesky rear stand for sale?? My FZ has a center stand, making it so easy for maintenance.

It also needs a new front tire, currently has a Pirelli Diablo with a manufacture date of 2010. Going to get an Bridgestone S21 since again, I am not racing racing. Its an excellent tire in my history of use on my FZ1, normally in conjunction with the T30 rear I run. The ZX has an S20 Evo made in 11/2013 with good tread so I think it can handle a few track days.

It's funny how different this bike is. Obviously being EFI is a change, no choke when I start it! But on the short 15 min ride home, it just struck me as so taut and composed. Very dedicated position and geometry obviously but not necessarily uncomfortable. But after a stop light turning left, I almost tipped it because its so low to the ground and the steering is so different (clips ons vs bar). The powerband wasn't as impressive as I thought. It is 20 HP and 30 ft lbs down on my FZ. As I let her rip on the highway to see what all this "600's power is all top end" it didn't deliver a huge punch once I got to 10-12K like I expected. Maybe the fueling is just that smooth? Maybe I wasn't WOT? But I know I saw triple digits very quickly and no I won't tell you how fast it was. I rarely go into triple digits but I had to. And I was pleased with the bike. On the right handed tight sweeper as my exit ramp, it was on rails. My FZ is no slouch in the turns but I can tell this thing is just track oriented (OBVIOUSLY). Just surprises me that a large majority of young guys use this for commuting. But anyways! It's going to be fun having these 2 differing bikes. I plan using the ZX6 mostly just for track days and riding to twisties. Thanks to EFI, I don't have to ride her every 2 weeks like my FZ.

I have a buddy who offered to help me with the valve check and adjustment, but he lives in Wichita,KS.

So here I am, saying hey, asking for advice of anyone familiar with these bikes, asking if anyone wants to help out with some maintenance work like the valve adjustment (payment can come in the form of beer, BBQ, cash etc), and someone who can be my friend on a trackday! I'm hoping to go to the Ride Smart event at Cresson on the 5th or 6th. And I'd like to go on group rides, when my work schedule allows. It is still crazy and its hard to find time. Thanks all, for reading this book of a post. HA :idea:
Last edited by NakedDentonite on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelies are for weenies...
Carburetors get me good gas mileage....

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: New Bike - Updates, Rambling, Advice Needed

Post by dufremle » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:34 am

Congrats!
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:35 am

Congrats, sharp looking bike. I have a rear stand you can have for $20. I don't remember the brand, it is a "universal" stand and just has little L brackets to hold the bike up by the swing arm. Not as secure as a stand that uses bobbins but good enough in most cases.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Tooner » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:53 am

Nice looking bike! Oh the fun of having a 600 and a 1000. Every time I ride my 600 I remind my self like Mikey form the Life Cereal commercials that, its supposed to be good for me. Good luck on all that fun maintenance and hope to see you at Cresson in March.
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

NakedDentonite

Post by NakedDentonite » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks for the offer on the rear stand. I'll send you a PM.

And well the gods have looked down on me and smiled. I actually got approved for both the 5th and 6th off. Thinking I should capitalize and do a double track day. Ive read it's very fatiguing, but I think I can do it. I'll spend the night in a hotel down there.

Does anyone forsee an issue with me not getting the valves checked before I do the track day? I mean, they've gone this long, right?

I'll also be riding the bike down there. No truck or anything. So I'll have to wear my leather suit down there and have a back pack full of Gatorade and tools and blue tape, some clothes and idk what else. Tips for someone who has to ride the bike to the track day?

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Best tip, don't. ha! Where you coming from, there maybe someone else going that could give you a lift.

If not, several people do ride to and from. I wouldn't worry too much about tools, there is always someone at the track that has what you need and willing to let you borrow it. There is also a convenience store at the gas station so if you don't want to haul a bunch of Gatorade you could always buy some there and there will be bottled water as well as a cooler of Gatorade provided by RS.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

NakedDentonite

Post by NakedDentonite » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm coming from Argyle.

Also, side note.

So I had to get ahold of the original owner because he had a cosign, who didn't sign the title, so I can't transfer it without it. I got ahold of the other party but I asked the original owner what maintainance he had done.

He check the valves at 15 and 30k. And adjusted them. And he has no reason to lie since he didn't sell the bike to me. He said he maintained it very well because it was his only vehicle and planned on keeping it till 100K miles.

I lucked out pretty good! What a deal!

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:29 am

Sweet! Yea there really no power on a 600 until you get into the high rpms....keep them there at the track. If it were me, I'd do a -1 +2 on the sprockets when it's time to get a new chain.

Also, back in the day I rode to the track from Denton in full suit and a backpack full of stuff. Wasn't ideal but totally doable. With that said, have plenty of contacts with trucks that day if needed.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

nitzer
Achievement count: 8

Post by nitzer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:38 pm

Most of us that trailer our bikes to the track typically bring tools, stands, chairs, and canopies. I try to get spots together and try to arrive the night before to set-up. I'm looking at buying a 600 to replace the SV650 as my track bike. My GM bonus comes in at the end of the month and I'm getting a refund so the track bike replacement is definitely in my future.
- Derek
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (SOLD)
2003 Suzuki SV650S (SOLD)
2008 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor (Street)

Winning hearts and minds...two the heart, one to the mind.

JTChiTown
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 7

Post by JTChiTown » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:44 pm

nitzer wrote: My GM bonus comes in at the end of the month and I'm getting a refund so the track bike replacement is definitely in my future.
168% :idea: woooot!

Nice purchase. I'd suggest putting a lot of effort into finding a ride, or another way of getting to the track. You can rent a trailer for $45 from u haul. That with a truck for 3 days won't kill you, but I'm worn outo from 1 day where I don't want to drive home. Couldn't imagine riding home...
Jeff

"Drive fast, attract Cops; Drive faster, attract Sponsors"

NakedDentonite

Post by NakedDentonite » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Thinking about going for a cheap Gen2 SV650 instead for the track.... anyone want this ZX6 for 4100? Clean title in my name

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 am

I'll get you in contact with someone who has one
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles