Anyone owned a 2013-2015 Aprilia Tuono?

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
NakedDentonite

Anyone owned a 2013-2015 Aprilia Tuono?

Post by NakedDentonite » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:49 pm

I love naked bikes. I have an 02 FZ1, which has been dead reliable for the last 33K miles (at 52K), and just bought a 09 ZX6R for a pretty good price.
If I could sell both bikes for the price I want, I could get my hands on a 13 Tuono (1000cc) with around 8K miles on it. Its capable of both street and track, obviously. Not to mention that glorious exhaust note.

But the big question is maintenance. How tedious and more exhausting is it, like DIY things like air filter, oil, etc? How often and expensive is the valve adjustment? Whats life like with a Tuono? I don't want to chase electrical gremlins that I have read plague some owners. I want to just ride ride ride.

And I ride.....a lot! (33K in just under 3 years. this last year has been slow. Only put 8K on in the last 12 months) I may have to pick up a cheaper naked bike to daily, and keep the Tuono for twisty trips and the track. I don't know. I like to fantasize about Italian women. And bikes.
Wheelies are for weenies...
Carburetors get me good gas mileage....

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Re: Anyone owned a 2013-2015 Aprilia Tuono?

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:47 am

I have an RSV4, I've had some valve and minor brake issues but so far so good, it's a '14 I forget how many miles, 12K miles or so, maybe a bit more
K1600

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:44 am

The motor thats in the Tuono and RSV4 has some pretty poor quality control from the factory. Mine has 3,500 miles and I just did a valve clearance adjustment - 9 valves were out of spec. I know some other motors that had 0 clearance from the factory, which is terrifying, and a friends motor exploded when one of the connecting rod bolts came undone at 13,000 rpm.
BUT, its a fantastic motor. The only reason I can picture selling mine is to get a new one.

Keep in mind this is a highly strung performance engine. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for use as a commuter or touring bike. Parts are expensive, labor is expensive - (one dealer quoted $1,200 for a 6,000 mile service) and there are better (Japanese) options if you want a reliable, convenient, affordable bike.

But if you want a bike that will put a grin on your face every time, that sounds amazing and looks just as good... to hell with the practicalities... this is it. If you get the APRC package, you'll love it. The traction control is fantastic. The ABS works really well, and the power is so much fun.

And if you want to reduce maintenance expense by doing your own work, check my videos:
https://youtu.be/_3n2l1E9OtU
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

NakedDentonite

Post by NakedDentonite » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:49 am

Weird, I just watched your part 5 video on Youtube, not even 5 minutes ago. Just for kicks, because I clicked on your part 1 video earlier this week.

And the Tuono engine isn't really detuned like the Yamaha's area (which is why some FZs have over 200K miles I assume. Less stress inside)

Is the Gen 2 V2 Tuono much better quality control wise?? I know the suspension and all on the Factory Spec Gen2's are top notch.

What you said, con wise, is why I chose the FZ1 for my do all. It has all the practicality and one of the easiest to maintain ever.

But I dream of different engine configurations. I work overnights currently and have a lot of time between busy periods to daydream. :cool: 8)
Wheelies are for weenies...
Carburetors get me good gas mileage....

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:38 am

Yea I gotta say my Italian V4 puts way more grin on my face that the Japanese I4
K1600