bring on the V4's

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

bring on the V4's

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:12 am

http://amcn.com.au/editorial/12998/

Ducati is joining up

"he 2018 replacement for Ducati’s 1299 Panigale is set to use a 1000cc V4 engine derived from the Desmosedici MotoGP bike.

A Ducati V4 superbike? – Speaking to the press after the firm’s 2017 MotoGP team launch, both Ducati boss Claudio Domenicali and Sporting Director Paolo Ciabatti referred to the forthcoming bike.

Domenicali said: “The engine development we have made in MotoGP has been exceptional; we have an engine which is very reliable, very light, compact and has a lot of interesting technology. We are seriously thinking of introducing it to regular customers as it is a masterpiece of engineering.”

He went on to explain that such a bike would be a mass-made model rather than a limited-edition über-bike like the firm’s old GP replica, the Desmosedici RR.

Domenicali also revealed that the bike would be intended for use in WSBK, which means its price would have to fall below the €40,000 (A$57,000) cap that prevents competitors from entering expensive exotica into the series.

While he wouldn’t reveal firm dates, Ducati is known to be working on a replacement for the 1299 Panigale right now.

The 1299 is the only model in Ducati’s 2017 range that doesn’t meet the newly introduced Euro 4 emissions limits. To keep it on sale in Europe, the firm has had to apply for ‘end of series’ exemption from the new limits – a facility that’s designed to allow small numbers of non-compliant bikes to be sold on the basis that they’re coming up for replacement. While the exemption theoretically lasts two years, until the end of 2018, it’s sure to be replaced for the 2018 model year.

Although the new V4 will become Ducati’s range-topping superbike, it won’t mark a wholesale move away from the V-twin layout. Other models – the Monster, Multistrada, Supersport, Hypermotard and even the smaller 959 Panigale – are expected to continue with two cylinders. In the future, detuned, emissions-legal versions of the 1299 Panigale’s 150kW V-twin are even likely to filter down to some of these machines."
K1600

soslow
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: bring on the V4's

Post by soslow » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:06 am

This is super cool. As much as Ducati IS L-twin, I had hoped when desmosedecci hit that they would make a v4. Honda gave up on them as racers with the rc51 but nothing sounds like the rc45 (or your nasty aprilias.) I had hoped for a v5 cbr when rc211v hit and a 3 cylinder Aprilia based on the cube but that was never really going to happen. I love when the field is full of different architectures, watching a bunch of inline 4 machines go that all look and sound the same feels sanitary to me.

Tooner
Club Member
Club Member
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by Tooner » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:30 pm

This is mind blowing to me(in a good way), it seems new bikes just continue to push the limits; faster, lighter, improved braking and handling. I saw a 1299 at the Progressive motorcycle show in Dallas and I wonder is there a point at which the bike becomes something so fast and powerful that without the modern electronics packages to hold it in check, the average Joe or Shane is just playing with much fire???
Shane
Current ride and track: 2009 CBR 1000rr
2018 crf450r

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Tooner wrote:This is mind blowing to me(in a good way), it seems new bikes just continue to push the limits; faster, lighter, improved braking and handling. I saw a 1299 at the Progressive motorcycle show in Dallas and I wonder is there a point at which the bike becomes something so fast and powerful that without the modern electronics packages to hold it in check, the average Joe or Shane is just playing with much fire???
That's pretty much what rossi said about the GP bikes, something like "with that much horsepower you wouldn't be able to even get it out of the garage without electronics"
K1600