Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

May 5th Eagles Canyon RideSmart Trackday drawing

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:49 am

This is non transfereable so if you win and find out you can't make it let us know asap so that a second winner can be drawn. Drawing will be held 8:00 Monday, April 21st.

For your chance to win a free track day at Eagles Canyon on May 5th, answer these three questions.

1, Whats the most embarrising thing you have done while riding?

2, What is more dangerous to ride, the city streets or the Freeway and why? Give an example from past experence.

3, Whats the difference between increasing, decreasing and constant radius turns? What differences are there between the way you enter and ride each corner?
Last edited by DarcShadow on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Re: May 5th Eagles Canyon RideSmart Trackday drawing

Post by sckego » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:40 am

The obvious answer would be riding off the side of Mt Magazine, but actually, I wasn't too embarrassed about that; I was certainly kinda peeved at myself for my poor judgement and for holding everyone else up, but I didn't really feel embarrasement. I'm going to have to go with a ride we were on a few months ago, heading down Tin Top Road, making a right turn onto FM 4. I somehow managed to hit my kill switch while at the stop sign, and for the life of me couldn't figure out why my bike died or how to get it started again. Kickstand up, in neutral, turn key off, turn key on, dash is working, but the engine WON'T START ARRGGGHHHH! Finally, whoever was next to me (I forget who) yells "Kill switch!" Ah, there we go. *turns red*
I never use my kill switch, so I just kinda forgot it was there...

2, What is more dangerous to ride, the city streets or the Freeway and why? Give an example from past experence.
City streets, without a doubt. On the freeway, everyone is traveling at roughly the same speed, in the same direction. On surface roads, you have traffic travelling both with and against you, at a wide range of speeds, from those crusing along at 50+ to those slowing or stopped for a turn. You have cross traffic to worry about, inlcuding vehicles who should yield to you but might not (the infamous left-turn hazard falls into this category). Finally, city streets tend to be tighter, less maintained, with more lights and distractions present then the freeway. I can't count the number of times I've had to take evasive action to avoid someone turning left in front of me on a city street; meanwhile, I've never had anyone turn left in front of me on the freeway. Amazing, neh?

3, Whats the difference between increasing, decreasing and constant radius turns? What differences are there between the way you enter and ride each corner?
An increasing radius turn opens up as you get deeper into the corner, while a decreasing radius turn tightens as you get deeper. A constant radius turn maintains its curvature throughout the turn. Assuming I am familiar with each of the corners in question, I'll enter an increasing radius turn at a reduced speed, get back on the power early, and clip a late apex through the exit of the corner. Decreasing radius turns can be entered more quickly, apexing early while using the engine or brakes to slow the bike before completing the turn and getting back on the throttle. I tend to ride constant radius turns a bit more like an increasing radius: enter a bit slower then required, and get back on the power early.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

ZX9R
Achievement count: 0

Post by ZX9R » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:20 pm

DarcShadow wrote: 1, Whats the most embarrising thing you have done while riding? Trying to do a rolling burnout in front of my house when it is 30degrees outside and the tires are cold and my wife watching. I actually wrecked a few seconds later. She was concerned for my welefare as she should be however, that sucked I could not pull it off and show off. I think we can all learn from this. I also only had 3 months in the saddle at this time. It pays to have experience now and more Hit Points.

2, What is more dangerous to ride, the city streets or the Freeway and why? Give an example from past experence. City streets! because most driver on in the city are on the phone moving at slower speeds and swerving and texting and not driving defensivly at all. I would proably be a gonner if I road a High dollar scooter cause they dont have alot of abaility to accelerate quickly to get out of danger. On the Freeway you just throttle up and your out of the way.

3, Whats the difference between increasing, decreasing and constant radius turns? What differences are there between the way you enter and ride each corner? An increasing radius turn would be like big bend. A constant radius turn would like the wagon wheel. And last but not least a decreasing radius turn would be like, well, lets see, ok I got it. I saw one that was a mother sucker and took out one of our fellow men. Bailout! THat turn did not tighten up till the very end.
Quick question???? YOu post this up on the Apr 7. then you did the drawing on March 21??? Did I read this right? :-o
Riding around aimlessly will get you no where!

2000 ZX-9R
2005 ZX-10R
2011 YZF-R1

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:32 am

So I'm a month off. lol I fixed the original post, drawing will be held APRIL 21st.

ZX9R

Post by ZX9R » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Cool! Since me and Secgko are the only two wanting to go we could just have the drawing now. LOL or we could just split it and pay 1 half each??? :-(

2000 ZX-9R
2005 ZX-10R
2011 YZF-R1

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by sckego » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:06 pm

Works for me :-D
Kegan "Glowstick"

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:03 am

now don't get ahead of yourselves. lol there's still over a week till the drawing and I know of at least one more entry that will be entered before the drawing.

ZX9R

Post by ZX9R » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:55 pm

DarcShadow wrote:now don't get ahead of yourselves. lol there's still over a week till the drawing and I know of at least one more entry that will be entered before the drawing.
Yeah! But you dont count.LOL :wheelie: Love You!!!

2000 ZX-9R
2005 ZX-10R
2011 YZF-R1

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:24 am

1) I attempted to ride up a wheel chair ramp and then hop off the sidewalk. Unfortunally my hop turned into a bad wheelie that when way to high and a little sideways. Me and the bike came out ok, cracked the case cover on the bike though and couldn't ride it home.

2) City streets vs freeway greatly depends on where you are. Around here I'm not a fan of either but I'd say freeways are a bit safer. When I first started riding all I did was town riding around Purdue's campus. I considered that much safer then when we'd shoot down the freeway. I think the safest places are out in the middle of now where on good farm roads, or state highways.

3) As you look through a turn an increasing radius turn you will see more and more of it and you go around. A decresing radius turn will apear to close on you, and a constant radius turn will look the same through out.

Increasing radius turns you can early apex them and allow yourself to swing out wide getting on the throttle sooner and harder then other turns.

Decreseing radius turns you want to turn in late and late apex them.

Constant radius turns are the ideal geometric turn. You throw the bike into the turn and maintain a constant lean angle through the entire turn hitting the apex of the turn at the true gemontric apex.

Bird

Post by Bird » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:01 am

Actually, DS DOES count ... he just won't be doing the drawing. :D
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Only 3 entries so far???

I like the odds but come on people, I know there are more of you out there that would like a free track day!

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:59 am

Today is the last day to get your entry in. If you want a free track day hurry and get an entry submitted. Drawing will be held tonight around 8:00

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:38 am

Let me better understand, this is a Track Day, where one just races around the track with a group of other motorcyclests, no classroom training, no Group 1, Group 2...
- - vs - -
A Ride Smart Track Day, with classroom training, instructer, Group 1, Group2...
-
-
And for me I don't think I have enough gear.
I have the budget jacket, budget gloves, and low top boots.
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by sckego » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:48 am

This is a Ridesmart event with the various levels and instructors, etc. However, even if it was not, I believe TTD and LSTD both have similar setups.

You will need better gear then what you have; I don't think they even count mesh jackets... needs to be either solid textile or leather. However, you can rent leathers and boots from Ridesmart. It's cheaper then buying an entry to the trackday...
Kegan "Glowstick"

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:03 am

Only 3 entries! .... and the winner (random number generator) is ZX9R
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:59 am

LSTD you have to pay extra for the classroom/instructors. I think its like $50

ZX9R

Post by ZX9R » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:20 pm

I would like to think all the little people that were influential in getting me here. LOL I have never won anything before. Yeah!!! :track: :biker:

2000 ZX-9R
2005 ZX-10R
2011 YZF-R1