Tire size vs Rim size

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Tire size vs Rim size

Post by DarcShadow » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Found this today and thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Apparently the 275's that Dodge puts on the Viper's 10x18's fronts are on the small size and a 295 actually fits the rim better. And come to think of it I think I had 315 slicks on it when I took it to the track.

Can't find anything that tells the advantage or disadvantage of one size vs another on the same rim though.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

matadorCE
Achievement count: 0

Post by matadorCE » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:21 pm

only thing i remember reading somewhere is the tire is too wide for the rim, then you get too much sidewall movement plus reducing the contact patch.

fireblade
Achievement count: 46

Post by fireblade » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:24 pm

it really depends on what sport your doing in your car. For the autocross and track days(hallet) in my mustang I wanted as much meat on all four corners that I could get, just so I could turn. wide and low profile is the way to go on the track. for the strip I changed out the tires for the super skinny and lots of side wall for the fronts and super fat and lots of side wall for the backs. it seemed work work better. again its just the personal preference and what works for your car.
Random stuff I say:
Women are like square roots, if they're under 17 you just have to do them in your head.

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis?

dshag
Achievement count: 0

Post by dshag » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:16 pm

on a rim with a 10 inch width i think 295's are about the biggest you can go. And correct for strip more sidewall is generally better allows for more grip with sidewall flex, tires are important but suspension is definately important...also diff brands will fit a little bigger or smaller depending, most people who run a wide 315 tire have a 11 inch rim. Also when you get a wider tire even thought the rim can fit it sometimes it causes rubbing issues depending on offsets but i would think a vipers have plenty of room for the wheels, i have a friend who put some 315 summitomos on his rear (crappy tire) and they wouldnt fit so he switched to nittos and they didnt rub bc they were a little narrower

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:00 am

I'm currious more about say running 295 rather then 275 on a 10" rim what effect that would have on the life span on the tire, alingment, ride height, etc. Clearly the last one is rather obvious, and it would lead to adjusting the alingment and/or ride height to keep the car at the same level.

Also wonder how much of a change in ride height could you have before you actually notice a difference in handling or even just sitting in it. Not that I'm planning on changing anything in my car, just found this to be an interesting topic for discussion.

(Side note, 315's will fit on a viper 10" rim. Probably not ideal for street but track guys run them alot.)
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

D03Cobra

Post by D03Cobra » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:30 am

Each tire brand runs a little different. 315 in a Nitto is smaller than a 315 Goodyear. Us Cobra guys came stock with 9in rims and a 275 tire. Most guys can squeeze a 315 Nitto on the rear, buldges just a bit but it will fit. 315 Goodyear just will not fit at all. I switched to a 10.5 in the rear and ran 315 Nittos and they almost seemed to be to small.