X-BOX 360

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
CrazyKuban
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

X-BOX 360

Post by CrazyKuban » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:25 pm

OK. I got I X-BOX 360 and the stupid thing quit reading the games. I did a "upgrade" to the NXE (New XBOX Experience) from Microcrap, and the thing just quit working. Has anybody had similar problems? Could it be fix?
A brother is a friend given by Nature. Legouve.

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:38 pm

I have not had that problem. My only thoughts would be;

Did the disk get scratched? (I am sure you have checked that)
Does it happen to all disks?
You might try calling the xbox help line, maybe they can direct you to the problem.

Hope this helped

P.S. problems like that tend to suck....

....A LOT!!!
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

dz

Post by dz » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Did you get a red ring at all? What's it do when you put a game in?

CrazyKuban

Post by CrazyKuban » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:46 pm

Yeah, NO RED lights at all. It happens to all the disks. I called Microsoft Help desk, and all they said was basically, "to bad", and you don't have any warranty, so if I send it in I'll have to pay out pocket for the repair. The crappy part is that the stupid thing quit working after I did the Microsoft upgrade to the NXE. According to them, that should'nt have been a problem, so they are "not at foul". It also sucked that tech support was some guy from an India call center, that you couln't understand crap he said.

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:59 pm

You shoulda demanded escalation until they send you back stateside to someone that you could understand! :-o
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

CrazyKuban

Post by CrazyKuban » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:55 am

Agreed!!!!! :icon_star-wars-smiley-023:

dz

Post by dz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:33 pm

Keep grilling them and raising the issue. Keep telling them it happened when you upgraded and that the upgrade wasn't successful.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:40 pm

I haven't had that problem for playing games but I did get an error when I tried to install to the hard drive. I cleaned the disk really good and got it to work eventually.

I did a quick search online and it seems several others are having the same problem as you but I didn't find any thing useful for fixing it. If that many people are having issues though some one will come up with a fix eventually, although that does you no good right now.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

digi

Post by digi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:53 am

Mine did that. I unplugged it from power and reconnected.

Worked.
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:57 am

Mine got the three rings of death, so I cracked open the case only to find the warranty was extended to 3 years instead of the 90 days that came with my paperwork. Then MS wouldn't repair it for free since the seal was broken. They can all go to hell!

dz

Post by dz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:14 pm

Email their corporate people. You'd be surprised how effective that is sometimes.

CrazyKuban

Post by CrazyKuban » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Yeah, I tried unpluging the thing, and nothing. I went and bought a new one, but I still would like to fix the other one. Microsoft customer service is crap. I'm not the only one with the same problem, and all they are doing is telling people that they are working to find a fix, but nothing yet. So the options are, if warranty is good, send it in, if not pay out of pocket, or buy a new one. What a bunch of horse sh*t. :-o

nam11b

Post by nam11b » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:33 pm

Does your dashboard come up at all? If you have dashboard access, but no games play it could be the drive or you could clear your memory. If that is the case I will look for the instructions for you

dshag

Post by dshag » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:34 pm

i have one that got red ringed, i cracked it open and tried to fix it myself but couldnt so if u want ill switch out dvd drives for you
Last edited by dshag on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:25 am

CrazyKuban wrote:all they are doing is telling people that they are working to find a fix
They are working on it though. Just because they can't fix your box right this instant doesn't mean their service is shit, just means they have no idea what the hell is wrong and can't tell you how to fix it. If it was under warranty, or you paid to have it fixed all they would do is send you a refurbished one, they wouldn't actually "fix" the one you send them, at least not till the figure out the problem.

Now they really should of caught this problem before pushing the upgrade, but even though there are lots of people out there with this problem, it is probably less then 1% of the consoles having this issue, which could possibly slip past testing procedures.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Microsoft just as much as the next guy, but some times it's just the nature of the beast. Even to the experts hardware and software are some times a black box that no one quite understands. There's nothing worse then trying to trouble shoot a problem when there is no logical reason why it's failing.

CrazyKuban

Post by CrazyKuban » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:35 am

DarcShadow wrote:
CrazyKuban wrote:all they are doing is telling people that they are working to find a fix
They are working on it though. Just because they can't fix your box right this instant doesn't mean their service is shit, just means they have no idea what the hell is wrong and can't tell you how to fix it. If it was under warranty, or you paid to have it fixed all they would do is send you a refurbished one, they wouldn't actually "fix" the one you send them, at least not till the figure out the problem.

Now they really should of caught this problem before pushing the upgrade, but even though there are lots of people out there with this problem, it is probably less then 1% of the consoles having this issue, which could possibly slip past testing procedures.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Microsoft just as much as the next guy, but some times it's just the nature of the beast. Even to the experts hardware and software are some times a black box that no one quite understands. There's nothing worse then trying to trouble shoot a problem when there is no logical reason why it's failing.
I agree with you on the technical side of things, but is their attitude the one that bothers me. I'll be happy if they said that it was their fault and that they are working on a solution. But to tell customers something else, then realize that they f...up and still want you to pay for it is bull sh.t.

CrazyKuban

Post by CrazyKuban » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:39 am

nam11b wrote:Does your dashboard come up at all? If you have dashboard access, but no games play it could be the drive or you could clear your memory. If that is the case I will look for the instructions for you
The dashboard works fine, once you load a game in to it said "reading" then it went back to "open tray" as is there was no game in the drive. I tryed changing hardrives, and still nothing.

nam11b

Post by nam11b » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:21 pm

I am betting it is the DVD drive and would try swapping it out. It could have just been a coincidence with the update and the drive could have died. Somebody offered one on a previous post. (dshag I think)

You can also try clearing the cache:

To clear your Xbox 360 memory cache, do the following: go to the "System" blade and select your console's hard drive. With the hard drive selected, input the following buttons: Y, X, X, LB, LB, X, X. A message will appear asking you if you wish to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices. Select "Yes," and within a few moments your Xbox 360 hard drive will clear its memory cache. Keep in mind that clearing the memory cache will remove all software updates that you may have downloaded for other games, so you'll need to go and download the updates again.

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:03 pm

It's amazing how something that mankind creates can be so damn complicated that even the maroon that created it has to scratch his head sometimes and go :icon_wtf: !!!
What is even more entertaining is how frustrated the same people get when they design something to fail and that it is the only function that they can get to work properly. :-) :-)
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:17 pm

nam11b wrote:I am betting it is the DVD drive and would try swapping it out. It could have just been a coincidence with the update and the drive could have died. Somebody offered one on a previous post. (dshag I think)
I think that unlikely, but possible, anything is possible. However, you can't simply swap DVD Drives.

Last I checked there are 3 different models in the systems and you have to make sure the replacement drive is the same model. Also, you have "flash" the drive and/or the system so that the new drive is recongized as a valid XBOX DVD drive.

nam11b

Post by nam11b » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:05 am

But.... If the drive comes out of an xbox 360 it should be able to be swapped out without flashing it.

Here is a link to tell what drive you have installed, should help out to see if you can swap it out.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_ ... arison.htm

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master

Post by DarcShadow » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:52 am

No, the drives are linked with the systems. You can't simply pull one out of one system and put it into another and have it work, even if they are the same type of drive.

It's all part of the anti copy, anti hack security they built into the 360.

Which as far as I know, is working rather well. I haven't heard of any downloading games like they did for the original XBOX. Nothing is hack proof but it does seem like the 360 made it hard enough that the average joe can't do it, or is too coplicated it's not worth the hassle.

CrazyKuban

Post by CrazyKuban » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Thank you all for the input. The more we go on the issue the more of a pain in the butt it seems. I will try all of the above recomendations and see what happens.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:29 pm

DarcShadow wrote: Which as far as I know, is working rather well. I haven't heard of any downloading games like they did for the original XBOX. Nothing is hack proof but it does seem like the 360 made it hard enough that the average joe can't do it, or is too coplicated it's not worth the hassle.
Mod chips are your friend! Actually when the first 360's came out it was easier to hack than the original Xbox.

Actually, I have an old Xbox in my closet if anyone wants it. The chip is the Xecuter 3. It worked pretty well as a media playback device, you could configure it to pull across a windows (or samba) share. Not a bad little toy for the adventurist, it's just been collecting dust since I bought a 360 years ago.

dshag

Post by dshag » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:50 pm

i would suggest just cleaning or replacing the laser part of the dvd player, easy thing to try, they sell kits on ebay i think.