What happened to common sense?

This section can be controversial. All opinions and arguments are welcome. Personal attacks are not acceptable.
Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

What happened to common sense?

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:20 pm

There's another thing that annoys the hell out of me. Everywhere you go, everywhere you look, there's a warning label for something. Most are either due to past lawsuits, or threats of lawsuits. And most are so rediculous it begs the question, what happened to cause that warning label to have to be on the side of it?

One of the really big ones that annoys me, is that college student in a dorm that was trying to tip a free coke out of the coke machine, and the thing fell over on him and killed him. Now everywhere I go, coke machines have warning labels on them, not to tip them over because they could CRUSH or KILL you.

And now when you get your coke, there's a warning on it that you have to open the bottle of coke away from you, or the cap could fly off and injure you, even cause DEATH. What the hell???!!! :-o
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:22 pm

In most cases I don't think its a common sense issue. I think more than not it is someone willing to undergo some pain in order for a company to pay them some big money.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:27 pm

Yeah, but I think the real issue here is that common sense is no longer a valid defense for companies that produce and sell products. Saying someone should have known better is no longer valid. At this rate, we'll be signing a legally binding contract just to purchase a set of steak knives...
ImageImageImage

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:37 pm

Steak knives have a warning that they are sharp and could cut you.

You can blame all this on those greedy lawyers.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:47 pm

I think butter knives have the same warning

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:51 pm

Yeah, but remember, it's our government that allows that sort of circus in the courtroom. I think it's as much as the judicial branch's fault as much as it is the lawyers. They shouldn't stand for that sort of crap, or allow lawyers to get away with things like that. But they don't stand up against stupid lawsuits because their re-election could be at stake... which explains why lawyers get away with just about anything, and judges stay in power until they die.
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:06 pm

What about juries who award monetary values to dumb cases? Its also the fault of our "peers" who decide dumb cases are worth being tried

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:17 pm

None of us are as dumb as all of us :-o
ImageImageImage

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:30 pm

Blizzard_1708 wrote:What about juries who award monetary values to dumb cases? Its also the fault of our "peers" who decide dumb cases are worth being tried
Actually, that is not the jury's fault. The law says the claimant is due money if he wins, and the jury has to award an amount that the judge thinks is fair. Again, it's greedy lawyers that get laws like that passed. I'm not saying that if a product is defective that someone shouldn't be able to sue if they get hurt, I just think there are too many lawsuits where someone is only suing to get rich. And there is always a lawyer standing by ready to take the case if he see's enough dollar signs.

I don't hate all lawyers, just ambulance chasers. However if I am ever in an accident that is someone elses fault I am getting the greediest lawyer I can find. :)
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:37 pm

dufremle wrote:I don't hate all lawyers, just ambulance chasers. However if I am ever in an accident that is someone elses fault I am getting the greediest lawyer I can find. :)
That'll only do you any good if the person causing the accident is rich or has good insurance or both. The layer takes a percentage of the settlement, usually before you actually see any money.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:04 pm

Yes, but what I'm talking about here are lawsuits having to deal directly with common sense issues. Not because the product was defective... Example, if you buy a hammer, and you smash your thumb with it, you shouldn't be able to sue the manufacturer of the hammer, or the store that sold it to you, just because there wasn't a warning label on the hammer indicating that injury could occur if you hit your thumb with it...
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:07 pm

Hmmm....could an injury happen if I beat you over the head with a hammer Firewa11? Then I might be able to out post whore you....Lets test this theory! :eek:

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:53 pm

I will always be a better whore than you! At least, when it comes to posting!!! :mad:
ImageImageImage

rnbcbr1000

Post by rnbcbr1000 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 pm

I had the opportunity to take a couple of law classes in college and my professor was an ex prosecutor from Cal. She always taught us that disclaimers (Warnings) on products are mearly there to advise of possible dangers but, held absolutely no weight in a court of law. The law states that every manufactuer and seller of products to the public has the obligation of providing a safe product regardless of the use. Even if you intentionally misuse a product, both the manufacturer and seller can and will be held legally liable. The only exceptions is if it involves government materials and negligence is proven. You can't sue the government unless they agree to be sued, the whole sovereignty thing.

I don't agree with this in most cases but it is unfortunately the world we live in today. We as a society have only ourselves to blame for this because far to many of us follow the rest of the herd of sheep instead of fighting for our Constitutional Rights.

This new subject area on the board has the potential of opening up an entire sh*t storm of controversy, which for one I am pleased to see. The people of this nation are in need of a serious wake up call to address the problems that we are facing today. It is up to us, the voters, to change the course and direction of this country, but sadly we are leaving it in the hands of money hungry lawyers and politicians and losing hold on a society that our fore fathers faught so deeply for!

So Firewa11, to answer your question about common sense, its gone. We as a society have left our future in the hands of politicans and lawyers. For the little guy or small business this proves to be a pretty dismal future. We as a society must regain control of this country or we will fall, as every other nation in history has, to the ultimate control (dictatorship) of its government. It is inevitable, unless "We The People" wise up, become educated of the misdoing, and take a stand!
[url=http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture3qf8.jpg][img]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8339/picture3qf8.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Jason

If you're not riding on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Bird Shooter

Post by Bird Shooter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:52 am

You get an A+, or extra credit :grin:
rnbcbr1000 wrote:I had the opportunity to take a couple of law classes in college and my professor was an ex prosecutor from Cal. She always taught us that disclaimers (Warnings) on products are mearly there to advise of possible dangers but, held absolutely no weight in a court of law. The law states that every manufactuer and seller of products to the public has the obligation of providing a safe product regardless of the use. Even if you intentionally misuse a product, both the manufacturer and seller can and will be held legally liable. The only exceptions is if it involves government materials and negligence is proven. You can't sue the government unless they agree to be sued, the whole sovereignty thing.

I don't agree with this in most cases but it is unfortunately the world we live in today. We as a society have only ourselves to blame for this because far to many of us follow the rest of the herd of sheep instead of fighting for our Constitutional Rights.

This new subject area on the board has the potential of opening up an entire sh*t storm of controversy, which for one I am pleased to see. The people of this nation are in need of a serious wake up call to address the problems that we are facing today. It is up to us, the voters, to change the course and direction of this country, but sadly we are leaving it in the hands of money hungry lawyers and politicians and losing hold on a society that our fore fathers faught so deeply for!

So Firewa11, to answer your question about common sense, its gone. We as a society have left our future in the hands of politicans and lawyers. For the little guy or small business this proves to be a pretty dismal future. We as a society must regain control of this country or we will fall, as every other nation in history has, to the ultimate control (dictatorship) of its government. It is inevitable, unless "We The People" wise up, become educated of the misdoing, and take a stand!
[img]http://www.fwmr.net/images/rideleader/white1.gif[/img]
Jeff
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1897/avatr3nd5gu7fn3.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1995/bushflippingfingeranimapd2.gif[/img][/url]

doughboy

Post by doughboy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:10 am

amen Jason!!!!!
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value!

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:35 pm

Well said Jason, well said! :grin:
ImageImageImage

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:57 pm

Heh... I love warning labels like this... there's a REASON that warning is there!

ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:36 pm

what sadistic MF would have done that to get the warning placed there??

Super Dave

Post by Super Dave » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:01 am

So if i poke a screw driver in my eye i can sue snap-on :sad: Makes sense to me.............................................NOT :-o

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:29 am

Well, there's no warning against it, so go for it!

Bailout

Post by Bailout » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:33 am

I am a personal fan of the warning label on my canopies........they clearlystate that they are for recreation purposes only and in no way should be considered a life saving device......and the kicker on my reserve chute it clearly states that it is a reserve for use in case of emergency only, right above the warning that clearly states it is not a life saving device!!

Huh? What did I just say??
When the buildings look like buildings..........Get something in the WIND ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
2004 V-Rod 1250
2010 48" Gravity Longboard
1999 Old Man corvette Convertible

beercap

Post by beercap » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:54 am

Paintshop ... funny though...

Firewa11 wrote:Heh... I love warning labels like this... there's a REASON that warning is there!

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9436/twins1zv7.gif[/img][/url][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9751/opusfinalgf2.gif[/img][/url]