Brake Fluid Flush

Shocker
Achievement count: 0

Brake Fluid Flush

Post by Shocker » Fri May 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Hey does anyone have any recommendations on how to flush brake fluid? Its something that I really need to get done but I keep putting it off mostly because I've never done it / seen it done. I really prefer not to screw up on em because I sure do like to be able to stop =) I know that I HAVE to use DOT4 brake fluid and that air bubbles are very dangerous to get into the line. Does this have to be a 2 person job in the sense that one person bleeds while the other constantly adds? Or is there a way to 1-man it?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated =)
- Neil
First Bike - 2004 Yamaha Yzf-R6
Current bike - 2007 Yamaha Yzf-R1
---------------------
Achievements:
Ridesmart Lvl 1 - Smoothest Rider 8-)

Bird

Post by Bird » Sat May 16, 2009 6:44 am

Neil, a lot of the complexity has to do with the specific bike, experience and equipment that you have. Some of the guys swear by the one-man vaccum systems. I did it without any special equipment on the 1000RR ... no problem once I found out about bleeding the master cylinder first. :D The Blackbird was a different story ... once again, there was a trick to it.

You're best off to have another person handy to help out with the lever squeezing if that's an option. Get some input on 'tricks of the trade' from others on the net. You shouldn't have any problem finding info on bleeding your bike's system. If you want to come over to my house, we can do it over here, probably in 45 minutes or so.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

Shocker

Post by Shocker » Sat May 16, 2009 5:56 pm

Ah i see. I may look at swinging by some time but probably not this weekend. I would look into next weekend or possibly the week there after. It's just something that I'd like to get done before I head to the track on the 31st. Would it be easier to just run it up to a shop and let them do it in like 15-20 min? Or is it not worth the money? Based on what I see at kwik kar I would imagine that I'd get gouged pretty badly on something like that. Plus I don't get any learning experience from it =P But, I'll do that if I get into crunch time before the track day.
- Neil
---------------------
Achievements:

Bird

Post by Bird » Sat May 16, 2009 8:29 pm

FORGET QUICK KAR ... If you want to take it to a bike shop, that's OK, but don't use the generic shops unless you know someone that works there. You're better off to learn what's under you that you're going to trust your life to! :-o

OK, this weekend isn't good for you. I'll be around from now till the track if you want to come down some evening. You may be able to find a club member closer that can help out if you supply the fluid. It really isn't hard unless you have linked brakes or ABS ... especially if you have two people.
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Sat May 16, 2009 8:38 pm

It's pretty simple, but like you, I was really nervous about doing it myself the first time. It's a 10 minute job that requires no disassembly or anything; you can easily do it in the morning at the track, if it comes to that (just make sure you have a plastic container to put the old stuff in). All you need is the little plastic bottle and hose thing that you can pick up at any car shop for a few bucks...
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Sun May 17, 2009 7:53 am

Do yourself a big favor a spend the twelve bucks on a sef of speeders. You will save yourself a ton of trouble now and in the future and will be able to bleed them in no time.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Bird

Post by Bird » Sun May 17, 2009 9:02 am

mattjmartin wrote:Do yourself a big favor a spend the twelve bucks on a sef of speeders. You will save yourself a ton of trouble now and in the future and will be able to bleed them in no time.
I had heard of these before, but never did the proper research!

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

I didn't realize that they were so inexpensive and it sounds like they are a worthwhile investment if you flush your own fluid (which you really should both to save the money and to get to know your bike better).

Anybody have a long term review to give?[/url]
Mike

DLSGAP
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider

Post by DLSGAP » Mon May 18, 2009 8:08 am

I've never used the speedbleeders.. but I've heard good things...

I used one of the hand pump vacuum bleeders wen i put my SS lines on... made it go SO much faster than what i was used to... alot less pumping...

And as Mike touched on... if you've got radial brakes, bleed the master cylinder first when you go to finish it all off...

what kind of fluid are you going to use? Make sure its a bike specific fluid as the temps transfer to the fluid alot more on a bike than a car so the fluid is designed to handle a higher temp range... I'd recomment the Motul RBF 600... its awesome stuff... Thats the only fluid i'll put in my brakes since the first time I tried it.
Wear your gear... I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8

Bird

Post by Bird » Mon May 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Is that a DOT 4 or 5 fluid? I'm going to run DOT 5 on mine from now on and just change it more often.
Mike

Shocker

Post by Shocker » Tue May 19, 2009 12:13 am

Bird wrote:FORGET QUICK KAR ... If you want to take it to a bike shop, that's OK, but don't use the generic shops unless you know someone that works there. You're better off to learn what's under you that you're going to trust your life to! :-o
Lol I had NO intention of taking it to kwik kar to flush the brakes, I was simply making a comparison. As for "Knowing some one there" I work at a kwik kar =P If i took it anywhere it would be to the yamaha shop.

Those speeders do look interesting though, I may try to get myself some of those and attempt to do it myself. If I really need help I'm sure I could recruit my brother / dad anyways, I was just primarily looking for some one with the know how since I've never done it.
- Neil
---------------------
Achievements:

DLSGAP
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider

Post by DLSGAP » Tue May 19, 2009 8:56 am

Bird wrote:Is that a DOT 4 or 5 fluid? I'm going to run DOT 5 on mine from now on and just change it more often.
Its a synthetic dot4 but it has a higher boiling point than most dot5 fluids. doesnt heat up nearly as much as the BelRay or Repsol fluid i had previously used...

Yes, with 8k on my bike, i have tried 3 different brake fluids not counting the stock fluid.. i wasn't happy with the brakes AT ALL on the zx10 when i got it.. and it got worse the more i rode it.. thefluid would boil way too easily at the track due to a design flaw in the calipers. better fluid, ss lines.. and she's stops good now
Wear your gear... I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Current bike:
CBR954RR

Former bikes
'87 YSR
' 92 CBR 600F2
'91 ZX7
' 92 ZX7RR
'94 ZX7RR
' 98 ZX7R
'07 ZX10R
' 11 FZ8

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:13 am

I've done all my brake flushes by myself just using the little bottle and hose. It usually only takes me about 15-20 minutes. The trick is getting a good tight seal on the bleeder hose and opening the nipple just barely enough to let the fluid though, to where it creates some resistance. The master cylinder on your front brake is just as good as any speed bleeders (IMHO).

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Sat May 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Firewa11 wrote:I've done all my brake flushes by myself just using the little bottle and hose. It usually only takes me about 15-20 minutes. The trick is getting a good tight seal on the bleeder hose and opening the nipple just barely enough to let the fluid though, to where it creates some resistance. The master cylinder on your front brake is just as good as any speed bleeders (IMHO).
Speed Bleeders just make it easier. :D

All I do is attach hose/bottle, unscrew bleeder a little and start pumping until there are no bubbles, while adding fluid. I do one caliper at a time.

It only took me 15 minutes to fill and bleed my car.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."