R1 Clutch...

digi
Achievement count: 0

R1 Clutch...

Post by digi » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:21 pm

So... after 11,000 miles, my clutch has finally started slipping.

Anyone have an idea what it costs to replace a clutch on a 2007 R1?
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

U-Turn
Achievement count: 31

Post by U-Turn » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:27 pm

My guess is $875.
-
Sitting on the couch, watching TV, isn't living.
Triumph 955

txt 8..223.0762 to ride.
-

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:02 am

Do it yourself and save some serious cash... there's plenty of resources online you can find to walk you through it...
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

digi

Post by digi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:25 am

Thinking about it... I watched a dude change the clutch on the magna that I had, and I kicked myself for not doing it myself.

The difference here is its a slipper clutch, and im not sure how different it is... but I will probably grab a walkthrough on it.
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.

angryscientist

Post by angryscientist » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:27 pm

you can come over and use my tools, sissy.
No it aint my birthday, but I got my name on the cake.

digi

Post by digi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:46 pm

I think I might have the tools to do it... I need a chiltons guide or something for it though.

I also have questions:

1. How different is the 07 clutch from previous models

2. Do you really need the piano wire retainer that everyone talks about

3. Can I just replace plates and springs, or is there something else too?

4. Is there a kit for this?

digi

Post by digi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:56 pm

Found manual. woot.

digi

Post by digi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:16 pm

Seems simple enough. Do I really need the clutch boss holder widget?

All I need now is parts...

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:04 pm

You might bounce your questions off of Scott at CycleWerkz. He's helped me out in the past...
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

digi

Post by digi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:07 pm

I might... I am going to see about getting the parts through them... it would be really awesome if someone had them in stock already... I am pretty sure I could knock this out relatively fast. The manual has jogged my memory quite a bit.

Please stop me if I start honing out cylinders with tools not intended for the purpose.

:-)

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:53 pm

hell if you can get all the parts by Saturday come on over to the maintance party at Bird's place.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

digi

Post by digi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:20 pm

I would like to, but I think I might be out of town. Not sure yet...

Things are wishy washy right at the moment. I am going to try to secure the parts this week if I can.

digi

Post by digi » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:00 pm

I pulled the clutch plates. I learned that a clutch slider makes for a great leverage point to get the clutch cable disconnected from the linkage.... I hope I can get it back in...

There was definitely wear, and if I measured right, the plates were under tolerance. I won't know how bad until I see the new plates... which hopefully should be here Friday, thanks to the fine work of Dave at Cyclewerkz.

It's sorta scary to see my baby's parts on the floor of the garage. So far the only casualty has been a little bit of the plastic coating on the clutch cable...

I really think that I picked the wrong profession... I should have become a motorcycle mechanic. It agrees with me if I am not in a rush.

digi

Post by digi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Well, I got the parts... Dave @ cyclewerkz is the awesome!

I have most of the clutch back together... but I am having some real pain getting the clutch cover on with the linkage in the right spot. Also, does anyone know if the clutch will actually work without the motor cycling oil through it (work the first time)...

I soaked the plates, but I can hold the cover on, and engage the cluch, but my rear tire is still locked.

Sorta bummed... this isn't going as planned....

digi

Post by digi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:07 pm

The R1 is fixed.

I slept on my problems, and worked on it today... I finally redid everything just to make sure that it was right, and it worked.

I now should be able to help you guys if you need to do this. It's not that bad... probably gets easier with each time.

Oh yeah... I had forgotten just how snappy an R1 can be with a new clutch..... GEEEEEEEEEEE-FORCESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

digi

Post by digi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:09 pm

BTW... more props to Dave who helped answer my questions, and props to Scott for calling me back (even though I had amazingly got it right the second time, right before he called...)

You guys need to go buy stuff from them. :-D

/cyclewerkz for the win

R-Sen

Thnks

Post by R-Sen » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:55 pm

I will definetely be going to them for parts, I've heard good things about them. I feel like my clutch is slipping, it just started so not that bad, but i want to get this done b4 it gets worse. Now just have to wait on extra cash to land in my pockets to get the parts. How much did you spend on parts? I have an 06 so price difference should be less, 06 didnt have slipper except the LE I think that one did.

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:47 am

revival of an OLD thread. Digi doesnt get on here much anymore, so he's probably not gonna tell you how much it cost him.

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:18 pm

^^^ditto^^^
maybe try PMing him and see if he might respond.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:50 pm

more like an IM, he doesnt check the boards, you can also find him on facebook, I hear he is active there :-)

2track
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 21

Post by 2track » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:07 am

Hey man if you need a hand let me know I have changed several clutches.
Get a chiltons or shop manual. So you have all the torques & such. A budy of mine has a 05 & recently changed his. You also are probably going to need a clutch cover gasket.

R-Sen

Thanks

Post by R-Sen » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:21 pm

I have the shop manual, Im pretty sure I have an electronic service manual on my external hard drive but if not I definetely have a paper version. Once I get some cash to buy the parts ill be in touch. Im due for a majoy tune up/maintenance. I got a price quote in Cali and it was gonna be 1K or so. So im going to try and do as much of the small stuff I can so they wont charge me so much in the end.