Disrespect is not freedom of speech

This section can be controversial. All opinions and arguments are welcome. Personal attacks are not acceptable.
Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 am

Just a seriously lack of respect by people these days on all fronts. Here's a video of students and such disrupting a speech by the Israel ambassador at UC Irvine.

If we could only return to the days of taking someone out back behind the woodshed and beating the crap out of them.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:34 am

I dont have time to watch the whole thing right now, I will later, but from what I saw, this is freedom of speech at its finest.

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice

Post by sckego » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:07 pm

Blizzard_1708 wrote:I dont have time to watch the whole thing right now, I will later, but from what I saw, this is freedom of speech at its finest.
Are you joking? Shouting comments and interupting a speaker who had been invited by an organization to give a talk isn't free speech, it's being an asshole. Free speech is the university's right to invite him to give a speech, and his right to give it. Jackasses trying to prevent him from doing so is interfering with the right of free speech. If they have something to say, hold your own event and say your part. Don't try and screw up somebody else's.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Post by dufremle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:14 pm

:icon_werd:
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:33 pm

The days of common sense and moral respect are going to continue to fade away until people start growing a pair and getting the govt's outta our family lives as to how mom and dad raise their kids. If the bitch neighbor doesnt like the way I am raising my kids, then phuc off unless I am actually doing deathly harm to them. My cousin & I still fear staying @ his dads place for the fear we did something wrong. If we did, we usually didn't know we were in trouble till he dragged us outta bed @ 5 in the morn to go chop brush and wood all day.
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Grinner wrote:The days of common sense and moral respect are going to continue to fade away until people start growing a pair and getting the govt's outta our family lives as to how mom and dad raise their kids. If the bitch neighbor doesnt like the way I am raising my kids, then phuc off unless I am actually doing deathly harm to them. My cousin & I still fear staying @ his dads place for the fear we did something wrong. If we did, we usually didn't know we were in trouble till he dragged us outta bed @ 5 in the morn to go chop brush and wood all day.
Amen brother, a-frakin'-men. Moral decay begins with a lack of involvement at home. Why did I behave in school? Not because I respected the teachers or anything like that... because I knew what would happen if my parents were called. I've seen parents with some of the worse kids imaginable, go off on other adults when they try to explain that their kids did something wrong. They blindly believe their own flesh and blood are just perfect, and can't possibly understand why letting schools and TV raise their children isn't the proper way. Because their failure would reflect upon them... so as long as they believe their children are perfect... then they must be too.
ImageImageImage

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:03 pm

:icon_werd:
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:21 pm

It was a disrespectful way to voice an opinion, but it was still freedom of speech, and I'd be curious to see how much money they get for having their civil rights taken away if any of them really did get arrested, or detained.

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice

Post by sckego » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Blizzard_1708 wrote:It was a disrespectful way to voice an opinion, but it was still freedom of speech, and I'd be curious to see how much money they get for having their civil rights taken away if any of them really did get arrested, or detained.
They did not have any right to act like they did. Freedom of speech does not give you the right to act like a jackass whenever you feel like it, especially when you are attending someone else's speech. The event organizers were absolutely correct to have them ejected.

A parallel example... freedom of speech gives you the right to publish and distribute things that can say just about anything you want. It does NOT force any existing publishers to publish it for you, and it certainly does not give you the right to walk into a newstand with a sharpie and start scribbling your manifesto in the magazines.

What freedom of speech provides these guys is the right to host their own conference explaing why they think that Israel has a bad attitude toward the Muslim world, that could be attended by anyone who cares to listen. Freedom of speech does NOT force the universty to host them an event, and it certainly does not give them the right to interrupt others' events.

Your right to do (whatever) ends where it starts to interfere with my right to do (whatever else).
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer

Post by dufremle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 pm

This should probably be moved to the Politics/Religion forum, as it has moved into that arena.

Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

Grinner
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:03 am

:stupid: :LogicWinsAgain:
I will second that!!!
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:06 am

Ok moved :))
ImageImageImage