Your bike and why......

This is the general Discussion area used for....General Discussions. Talk anything here just keep it clean and no spam.
El Diabro
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 18

Your bike and why......

Post by El Diabro » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Okay, so what's everyone's bike and why did you choose it or them if you ride more than one?

Me personally, I felt like I'm a Hayabusa so that's what I got. It wasn't for a need of power, or speed, it's just for the reason that I see a lot of myself in it :) And my manita (sister in spanish) told me I'd look really cool on one :)

But why did you choose your bike?

***disclaimer***
I hope this isn't a re-post
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider
Achievement count: 0

Re: Your bike and why......

Post by dufremle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:12 pm

I got a damn good deal on it.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:16 pm

:icon_whs0be:

I had dragged Vic out on a few shorter rides with me on SV, and while she had fun riding, she didn't like the seating position. I did some research on what would be a good sportbike for two-up riding, and narrowed it down to the Sprint ST1050 and the VFR. I was actually leaning towards the Sprint when I found a screaming deal on a leftover '04 VFR ($5k off MSRP), so I plunked down a deposit, bought a one-way ticket to Charlotte, and rode it home. Best decision ever. :cool:
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

rayray

Post by rayray » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:26 pm

I love her stance. Hayabusa guys and gals just have a connection with the bike. Its all about Love!!
-Caging a 2002 Pontiac Firebird
-Riding a 2006 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa LE

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:56 pm

I liked the pretty blue, and I really liked the price, $2k cheaper than all the other liter bikes. And contrary to what other people think, I like the way the 08' ZX10r looks.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

CrazyKuban
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider

Post by CrazyKuban » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:39 pm

I had a few bikes before and really liked them all. The 600 was a great track/run around bike, the 1k was great for fast rides and track, but not so good in everyday commute, the Busa, well the busa is the best fit right now. Great on power, not to heavy for me, and my wife also enjoys riding in the back of the thing, something that was difficult for her to do in the 1k. Overall I think the Busa is a long time keeper, and eventually I'll get a proper sport bike for the track.

As you can see, all my bikes are goal oriented to whatever needs I might have at the particular time when I purchase them.
A brother is a friend given by Nature. Legouve.

Turkishexpress

Post by Turkishexpress » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:21 pm

I really wanted to keep staying on zukis but got a great deal on the cbr and realized what an awesome bike it was :D
K7 Gixxer Sixxer (Track)
08 CBR1KRR (Street)

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:10 am

I am not big on the name of bikes but I knew when I was looking to upgrade that I wanted to make it the last "upgrade". That left me with the Busa or the 14. I did my research and a few test rides and it came down to this. Both are the same speed reguardless of what anyone says. I have been on both and I have raced both ... there isnt enough difference to be able to say that it wasnt a rider error or weight difference or whatever if the Busa wins or the 14 wins it is always by less than 1/10th in a good race. Both are about the same weight and there is a small difference in the length but its again a moot point. About the only difference is the name, the look, and the comfort (in my opinion). After riding both a couple times the 14 was just more comfortable expecially at long distance. Most important to me was I liked the looks of the 14 over the Busa. The Busa usually has better paint to em but the one eye look and the back of the bike to me is trash (talking about the 08 model). I love the 4 headlights on the 14 and the whole look of it is tuff and not to bug like. Also there are a WHOLE LOT of Busa's out there (good in ways bad in others). So here I sit on my 14 in the end. Now that being said I still like the older Busa (pre 08) and I really like the power range switch on the new Busa and one day I might get a older Busa or maybe a new one if they change the look again. Please don't get this wrong I am in no way saying the 14 is better it is just better for me right now.

Also one day I will be getting a 750 or 1k of some sort for the track but it will be a second or third bike.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:35 am

Nice to hear the love everyone has for their ride! I don't think it should be any other way!

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:22 pm

Back in the early 90's the bike I saw that made me fall in love with motorcycles and want one was the Daytona 600. So when they started making a 600 again, I got interested. Then the 675 came out, and it's an all around great bike. And compared to other 600s it was the best bike for the cash. And it was more comfortable a riding position for me than others.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:54 pm

2007 Kawasaki ZX-10R Special Edition, I was in the market for a new bike and was looking for a 1000, having ridden most of the available 1000s around, I came to like the 10. To me, the ZX-10R felt to be more of an animal that the others, I liked this as it gave me the feeling that I would have a better chance of respecting this particular bike more than others for a longer time. I also really liked and was drawn to the look of the under tail exhaust that was offset from the tail as not to cut into the contours of the bottom of the tail. As for affordability, I liked the fact that the '07 ZX-10R came stock with flush mount blinkers, analogue tack, wave rotors and a steering damper. Just to make sure I made the right decision, each time I stop somewhere and see bikes, I will look down the lines at each bike and ask myself "if I could have any, what one would I choose?" and I always find myself at my 2007 Kawasaki ZX-10R Special Edition. Overall, my bike picked me and I picked it.
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

Bird

Post by Bird » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:45 pm

I came from a cruisers and Sport/Touring background. Started on dual purpose and enjoyed the dirt, but they just weren't right on the road for any distance. After being run off the road (second time on PURPOSE) back in the 90's, I decided to quit riding for a while. When I got the itch again, it was for a Sport/Touring bike, the Beemer R1100RT. Had a BALL on that bike running around Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas with my GF behind me. Lots of comfort and it handled pretty good compared to what I HAD been riding. I went to a 'demo day' at the Honda dealer on the West side of town on my Beemer and was riding the sport bike and the cruisers when I realized that they were setting up a bike call a 'Blackbird' as the chase bike. Had to ask about that rather old design being using with all these NEW bikes. The sales manager told me that they had someone take off and run the year before and they weren't going to put up with that crap again. They chose the Blackbird that was on consignment as the chase bike to be sure that NOBODY would try it again.

I was HOOKED! Rode that bike (my first experience with a Sport Pig) and fell in love with the feel of so much power and cutting into the corners like I had never been able to before. Bought the Bird and my poor Beemer sat for months on end not even being started! Broke my collar bone on a 0 MPH 'go down' on the Beemer months later and the Bird was more comfortable to ride than the Beemer (surprizing, huh?). Rode that bike for a year more (and a few track sessions) and then decided to move into a REAL sport bike. Been a Honda guy for years, so the CBR1000RR was next on the list. LOTS of power and speed, comfortable to ride (for me) and it handles pretty well for a big bike.

I realize that I should have done a hot 600 now, to enjoy on rides and the track, but my immature ego pushed me to go to a liter bike. :-) LOVE the power, but I hope those reading this can control that urge and go for a mid-range bike before heading into the massive power that these bikes throw at you. Not enough experience on a liter bike will end up in a really ugly situation most of the time.

For the NEW guys on the board, my CBR1000RR is named 'THE BITCH' ... there is a REASON for that! If you don't respect a liter bike and let your testosterone rule your brain, she WILL throw you to the ground and stomp on you!! Everyone loves a bitch every now and then ... they are awesome to kick some ass with, BUT, remember that you chose her for the raw power and ability to do things that you only dreamt of before. :)
Mike
It SUCKS to get old ... it sucks even MORE to realize it! Live for the moment every chance you get.

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:05 am

Well said everyone! It's nice to meet a group of people who are in love with their bikes!

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:42 pm

I used to have a Ninja 500 and a cruiser in my garage. I was looking for something that would be more comfortable for long-range riding than my cruiser but still fun with the get-up-and-go and cornering. Sport-touring seemed to be calling my name, and the Concours 14 is just the best bike you can get for the money, so that's what I went with. I really wanted a 2010, but I also didn't want a loan so a 2008 was what I could afford. So far I'm really happy with it, although at some point I know I'm going to want something a little more hooligan. Ok, maybe a LOT more hooligan--I've had my eye on the BMW S1000RR. :)

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:51 pm

I looked at the 08 Concours 14, even test rode one before I went with the Ninja. In some ways I regret not going for it. The Ninja is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden on for distance... but it's the absolute best bike I've ridden for out riding fast in the twisties. I won't ever take her on the track but I think she'd be awesome there.

I think my next bike once the Ninja is paid for will be either a Concours or FJR.
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:48 pm

need more than one horse in your stable

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice

Post by sckego » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:07 pm

I've said for a while that my next bike (besides a trackbike) was going to be either an FJR or C14. Now I'm saying either a VFR1200F or a Multi 1200. Need more funds...
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:18 am

One day I might get my ZX 14 another partner for the garage and it will most likely be the Concours 14. Let me tell you even though it is a touring bike with electric windshield controls and all it will still leave alot of full sport bikes in the rearview. Here is a link to where Ricky Gadson did a quarter mile in less than 10 seconds on a stock Concours with hard saddle bags on and all ... just the way it comes off the showroom floor..... Wait are you sure this is a Sport Touring bike? http://www.amadirectlink.com/riding/reviews/2008/ZX14/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry about the fact that it is actually about the 08 zx14 but if you look in the section in blue titled launch school you will see what I am talking about. Granted this is Ricky Gadson... one of the fastest men on 2 wheels down a quarter mile but still it is a TOURING bike!
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Pepe LePew

Post by Pepe LePew » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:37 pm

I like this question. I have previously owned a 76 Honda 750 four, and a couple of 78/79 Goldwings, all of which I purchased for very low prices. I learned how to ride on a buddies 750, and at the time I bought mine it was super cheap. I got into the old wings next, and liked the shaft drive, but they wound up sitting and rusting out due to too many othe hobbies.
Fast forward a few years, I went to Sturgis with my band out of Indy to play, and was able to borrow a 90 something Katana to ride. The other two guys i traveled with had an FZ1, and a Virago. I got to ride the FZ1 a few times, ad loved its power, handling, and riding position. 6 months after that trip, I moved here, and had some spare cash and decided it was time to pull the trigger and get a bike. I started looking at cruisers and sport bikes. If I went with a cruiser, I wanted at least a 1500cc engine, and to be honest, that was what I was tying for. I am a big guy, and the riding position is comfortable. The problem is, the prices for anything decent in the 1500+cc range were too high. I lived on craigs list for a few weeks, and ran accross a couple FZ1's, and started searching. I very quickly found the ad for mine, and it was about to expire. I called him, it was still available, and I arranged to meet the owner. He rode it to a meeting spot near my house, I was able to listen to and watch him come in, and it sounded good. I asked for a test ride, (and was ready to ride beside him in my truck to hear all the gears and shifts and such, but as I had my endorsement, helmet, and cash, he let me ride it. That was all it took. The bike just felt perfect. Despite the high mileage, it was in perfect condition, and had obviously been well cared for. I bought it on the spot and love it.

That having been said, I would still like to get a cruiser as a second bike. The FZ1 is still #1, but for commuting and longer rides, something a little more comfortable would be nice to add to the garage.

By the way, thanks Buzzard!
Why have 6 gears on a motorcycle when I can exceed the posted speed limit in first?

I am the artist formerly known as TooTwentyTwo FZ1

04 FZ1 Skunk

GregW

Post by GregW » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:04 pm

I started on a 82 Virago 750 and love dit. i wanted something newer with more power and bought a brand new 97 Honda Magna 750. My buddy talked me into riding his 98 900RR one night and that was it. Sold my Magna that week and bought a 94 CBR900RR. LOVED IT! Killed it due to major electrical issues and bought a mint 98 900RR... killed it by breaking the frame in 1/2 with too may endos (seriously) and bought a 95 900RR which was an all out street stunt bike, sold that after looping a highchair back in 2001. Then bought a 99 900RR, rode it for over 5 years and when I met my wife and her kids, decided to grow up and sell the bike. Was off a bike for two years and couldnt do it anymore. I wanted a Blackbird but they were too expensive. Bought a Magna cause I loved my old one so much. Hated my new Magna, doesnt compare to a 900RR. Traded it for a 02 FZ1. It was ok, but not me. Found a good deal on a Blackbird, snatched it up and I ride all the time now.
The blackbird is super powerful (awesome) and comfortable. Like a big couch on two wheels. My wife finds it comfortable as well. Im a Honda guy and I want a big, bad, bike to cruise on, not get silly on. So here it is! Oh, and my budget was only $4k as I cant afford a payment. Not many choices in that price range.
- 00 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
- 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "Tyclone" - LT1 & AWD
- 02 Honda XR50 - lots-o-mods with a 108cc stroker motor
- 03 Honda CRF50 - 88cc big bore
- 02 Honda XR70 - stock toy

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Firewa11 wrote:I looked at the 08 Concours 14, even test rode one before I went with the Ninja. In some ways I regret not going for it. The Ninja is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden on for distance... but it's the absolute best bike I've ridden for out riding fast in the twisties. I won't ever take her on the track but I think she'd be awesome there.

I think my next bike once the Ninja is paid for will be either a Concours or FJR.
That's funny, my next bike is very likely to be a literbike, and the ZX10R is on my short list. :D

I think you need both in your stable. Add an enduro or dual-sport and you've got a solid line-up. At least, that's my current idea of motorcycle heaven.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Check out Sammy White's Kawasaki if you're attracted to the Kawi. If you want an '08 ZX-10R (brand new) you can get one OTD for $8,966.00. If you want to ride mine before you buy let me know. The only thing I don't like about mine is the stock rearsets aren't adjustible. At least the Gixxer would let you move it a few positions. It's amazing what 1" of adjustment on the pegs can do for your legs / knees for a day of riding.
ImageImageImage

Blizzard_1708

Post by Blizzard_1708 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:35 pm

I got the GSXR-600 because it had the shorted seat hight for that year out of the sport bikes. :)

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Dave wrote:
Firewa11 wrote:I looked at the 08 Concours 14, even test rode one before I went with the Ninja. In some ways I regret not going for it. The Ninja is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden on for distance... but it's the absolute best bike I've ridden for out riding fast in the twisties. I won't ever take her on the track but I think she'd be awesome there.

That's funny, my next bike is very likely to be a literbike, and the ZX10R is on my short list. :D

I think you need both in your stable. Add an enduro or dual-sport and you've got a solid line-up. At least, that's my current idea of motorcycle heaven.
Oh, it'll be a good while before I'm seriously looking. I just dropped about $10k cash in January for the C14. I've decided I don't like carrying loans on bikes, so it'll be a while before I can think about an additional one, i.e. not selling the C14 to get it.

digi

Post by digi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 am

Dave wrote:
My idea of motorcycle heaven:

1. R1 - for riding the local twisties
2. Harley Roadking - For backroading, medium-length trips
3. Goldwing - for really really long trips
4. 3rd Generation R6 - for the track
5. Some form of 2 cycle 250cc dirt bike
6. Some form of motorcycle powered cart... for when I'm tired of riding the others

I only have two on the list and its going to be sometime before I can get the others. I'm starting to get interested in old bikes, and after tearing apart my Harley (be quiet!), I am seriously considering a project bike of some kind. So add a couple vintage bikes to the list... =)
The meaning of life is good sex and a fast motorcycle. I would combine the two, but I would end up wheelie-ing the girl and spooging on my bike.