PC3 Question

R-Sen
Achievement count: 0

PC3 Question

Post by R-Sen » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:00 pm

I might sell my 06 R1 and it currently has a PC3 installed not tuned the greatest but its there. What will happen if I unhook it, take it off and plug the regular plugs into each other where the PC3 plugs were? WIll it just go to stock air fuel and all that nonsense? All i've done is added a B&M filter, baffle kit, and 520 sprocket change. Other then that its just cosmetics. I just dont wanna remove it and the bike not run anymore then I wont be able to sell it :-o Not that I really want to but the price is just right theyre offering.
NOS is like a hot girl with crabs, you wanna hit it, but scared of the consequences.
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.
125 CC Random Scooter (i was only 12)

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Re: PC3 Question

Post by sckego » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:39 am

Yup, just reverts to the stock map. I'd imagine that with your mods that should be fine.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:38 am

:icon_whs0be: With those mods it wouldnt make much of a difference at all. The MPG might not be as good and might loose a couple HP by going back to stock settings but the bike will run like it did when you first got it (or close to it).
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:33 am

Yep, all a PC does is help straighten out the power curve after you add modifications like an aftermarket exhaust, air filter, etc. By straightening out the power curve it can give you a few HP, but the biggest impact a PC makes is you (in theory) won't get significant 'jerky' power as you roll up and down the full RPM range.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

R-Sen

Post by R-Sen » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 pm

Thank You all for your imput. Couple more things.

About 4 months ago i've been having issues starting my bike, at times it would start on the first go others it wouldnt start at all. I would have to jump it or push start it. The battery checked out fine, and the charging system was also charging. Last Sunday it finally gave out completely, cant jump it anymore and when i push started it, it died on me. Ive been reading up and am going to replace the regulator/rectifier this saturday and hope thats it.

About 1 month ago after I brought the bike to Mexico I've noticed a power loss, i found a empty newly paved road with some twisties about 8 :( but its close to where I live and will hve to do. It also has a nice long stretch in which I wanted to practice wheelies, well thats when I noticed the pwer loss, both in 1st gear n in 2nd. 1st gear I power wheelied 2nd I would clutch. well first isnt doing it anymore. Once I replace the rec/reg I will go out againa nd see if magically I get more "power" back. If not I will remove the PC3 and sell the bike. If the owner decides to pay a little extra for the PC3 and I plug it back in, will the Map still be stored or will he have to remap it. HOpe this makes some sense because deleted and re arranged so much in order to make some sense to me.
NOS is like a hot girl with crabs, you wanna hit it, but scared of the consequences.
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:03 pm

The PC will keep the map for a little while but not sure how long. It has an internal battery so you can put a map in it at a computer then move it to the bike and still have the map but im not sure how long it is supposed to keep it..... you could also save the map to your computer with the usb cable and then you would have that map even if you got another R6 that was set up the same the map should be really close for it. For the power loss ... could be the RR which you can check by hooking up an ohmmeter and see if it is charging while the bike is running. Also chase down the lines where the stator connects to the RR and then the rest of the connections.... alot of the time those connections will get corroded and cause an intermittant problem so when you check it ... it dont always show bad. I would chase the lines and use the ohmmeter before replacing the RR because they really dont go out that often.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:10 pm

The PowerCommander has a memory chip that it writes the memory to, so it stores no matter if you lose power or not. This is a quote from their site:
If I disconnect my battery will the Power Commander lose it's map?
No, all Power Commanders utilize a nonvolatile memory (it does not require constant power to maintain it). The only way a map can be “erased” is to use a computer to load a new one in place of it.
http://www.powercommander.com/powercomm ... _faqs.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImage

R-Sen

Post by R-Sen » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:38 pm

DemonDuck wrote:The PC will keep the map for a little while but not sure how long. It has an internal battery so you can put a map in it at a computer then move it to the bike and still have the map but im not sure how long it is supposed to keep it..... you could also save the map to your computer with the usb cable and then you would have that map even if you got another R6 that was set up the same the map should be really close for it. For the power loss ... could be the RR which you can check by hooking up an ohmmeter and see if it is charging while the bike is running. Also chase down the lines where the stator connects to the RR and then the rest of the connections.... alot of the time those connections will get corroded and cause an intermittant problem so when you check it ... it dont always show bad. I would chase the lines and use the ohmmeter before replacing the RR because they really dont go out that often.
Found out from firewa11 it wont loose anything so i will disconect it Thanks, when i brought my bike to Mexico it was because of recreational purpose not with intent to sell, so I didnt bring the usb cable for the pc3 I just brought extra set of tires, tools, oil n filter. About the troubleshooting, i cant and am afraid to get to the stator dnt wanna remmve the t/b. Connections going into the reg/rec seem fine, and was charging when it would start right now like I said started then shut off, and dont wanna try it again until after i install the other reg/rec. If that doesnt do it, theres a Yamaha Dealership about 3 hrs from where I live that I will take it down to and see what they can do. Thanks to all, for your imput. If theres any other thoughts or Ideas im open to them, I even removed my Scorpio alarm thinking that that could be draining battery but its been removed for about 2 weeks and still same problem.
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.

Firewa11

Post by Firewa11 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:43 pm

FYI, the USB cable is the same type that a Blackberry uses. Not sure if that helps you or not, but it's not a specialized cable. You should be able to find one, even in Mexico.
ImageImageImage

R-Sen

Post by R-Sen » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Firewa11 wrote:FYI, the USB cable is the same type that a Blackberry uses. Not sure if that helps you or not, but it's not a specialized cable. You should be able to find one, even in Mexico.
yeah but im not planning on getting another bike until I get back to Texas, and my 04-06R1 PC3 wont be useful because I will be looking at getting an 08. So im just gonna sell the PC3 with all the original connecters, CD, and case and stickers once i get back to Ft. Worth. Thnks for that info though
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Before you start throwing parts at it I would take it to a shop and have them check it out. If it was charging then most likely the battery is bad. Sometimes they can test fine when they really have a short. You might also check to make sure the connections between the charging system and the battery are tight. A loose wire could cause an issue.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

R-Sen

Post by R-Sen » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Dufremle wrote:Before you start throwing parts at it I would take it to a shop and have them check it out. If it was charging then most likely the battery is bad. Sometimes they can test fine when they really have a short. You might also check to make sure the connections between the charging system and the battery are tight. A loose wire could cause an issue.
I agree thats why all im doing is the reg/rec i got it from a friend who wrecked his R1 for $40 so not alot of money spent on it. Thats why if this doesnt work Im going to the dealer so they can check other things I dont wanna mess with. I've had the battery checked before and checked good ill have them do it again if I have to go to the agency out here. Here is something small I took with my phone of a sould it started making. Dont know if it helps but after this I pretty much stopped messing with it atleast until I get that reg/rec in.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:12 am

I really doubt it is the RR but you never know. Also you dont have to take the cover off the stator to check the wiring out just follow it from the stator and trace it back to the battery. You really could have a short that is grounded in a small way just about anywhere. If you are getting good charging voltage then the next thing I would do is hook it up to the ohmmeter and see if there is any pull on the battery when it is off and not running. Also you could hook up a trickle charger to it and see if you can charge the battery overnight. If it will not charge then the battery is bad if it does then you should be able to start and run the bike for a little while and you would also be able to check for that parasitic draw. If you dont know how to do it just google parasitic draw test and there are several step by step instructions on how to do it. I just hate to see ya give that hard earned money to a shop without checking the easy stuff.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

dufremle
Club Staff/Treasurer
Club Staff/Treasurer
Riding Style: Novice Track Rider

Post by dufremle » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:26 am

The battery is definately low. At this point I would replace it then test everything. If you are getting 13.9 volts at 4000 rpm then it is charging. No need to replace the R/R. The clicking sound could be anything due to the low battery. I would start with the battery first, or borrow a good one, then see what else could be wrong. Could even be a bad starter.
Jim

2024 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Toyota 4Runner

R-Sen

Post by R-Sen » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:23 pm

Demon DUck- I dont mean the cover off the stator I mean the whole airbox, throttle bodies and all. A friend said theres a way he think to get to it to check it without removing much. Just waitin on a email from him. Ill check out on that parasidic draw test, even though when it was first failing I only had a .1 ohm draw with the bike off, so I didnt have a drastic draw on power while hte bike was off.

Dufremle- When I first started having these starting issues, thats the first thing I thought of to (bad battery) didnt check it just went out and bought a new one from cycle gear. Borrowed a trickle charger from a member on here charged it overnight installed next morning and started up. Did good for about 2 days then again it wouldnt start I took the battery back to cycle gear thinking it was defective they tested it and my old one and they were both good. I could go out try starting it and nothing, get frustrated go back inside and 2 hrs later go out try it and lo n behold it would turn over and start. WTF!!

Now im going for stator, or starter i've read post on forums that people have issues where the "teeth" on the idle gear are worn and wont grab to crank over. Something like that, I tried finding the post again but couldnt find it, did come up on this and this is almost exactly what im going thorugh except he said his problem happens when its cold with me its different times.:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.