Anyone have a 04-06 R1, and a "test Pen"

R-Sen
Achievement count: 0

Anyone have a 04-06 R1, and a "test Pen"

Post by R-Sen » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:20 am

Had a "mechanic" test my bike today why it wouldnt start gave me his opinion not to convincing but want to see if someone will do the same test with their 04-06 R1. Maybe he is right and its an easy fix for my bike. Any help would be much appreciated.
NOS is like a hot girl with crabs, you wanna hit it, but scared of the consequences.
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.
125 CC Random Scooter (i was only 12)

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Re: Anyone have a 04-06 R1, and a "test Pen"

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:24 am

If you tell us what he said then we might be able to tell you if it sounds right.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Meat of Snail

Post by Meat of Snail » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:39 am

One thought, if you are having trouble with something on your bike (assuming you bought it from a dealer and have some sort of warantee), you might take it to the dealer and ask them what is up and have them fix it under warantee.
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

GRex

Post by GRex » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:57 am

DemonDuck wrote:If you tell us what he said then we might be able to tell you if it sounds right.
:icon_whs0be:
Some common problems in intermittent starting systems are wires gone bad - a burnt wire or connector, worn insulation, bad ground, corroded connector.
There is normally a relay in the starting circuit as well - the wiring connectors on that can be corroded
Does it crank over?
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2010 White/Silver 14RR T-Rex
2005 Pearl White T-Rex (Sold)
IBA# 41997
Image Image

R-Sen

Post by R-Sen » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:46 am

No, no warranty had this bike for almost 2 yrs now. This is what he said, which like I said I dont agree with what he said but he might have something. He took a test pen and with the bike off clamped one end to the positive battery terminal the tip of the pen he touched to the screw in the starter relay (item marked 2 in the pic) and there was current little light lit up. Now he kept the clamp on the positive battery terminal and touched the tip of the pen to the wire/screw to the left of that (Marked 1 in the pic) and no flow then he turned the key on and tried starting and no current little light in the test pen didnt light up. So his theory is current is supposed to pass through wire marked 1 when the bike is ignition button is pressed but it doesnt so he thinks thats the issue. Neither fuses are burnt, and connector seems fine no burnt wires. If its true I think its the wire connected to starter relay not the relay itself. Hope some of you get what im saying. Still a little :neutral: from last night.
NOS is like a hot girl with crabs, you wanna hit it, but scared of the consequences.
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.

R-Sen

Post by R-Sen » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:48 am

GRex wrote:
DemonDuck wrote:If you tell us what he said then we might be able to tell you if it sounds right.
:icon_whs0be:
Some common problems in intermittent starting systems are wires gone bad - a burnt wire or connector, worn insulation, bad ground, corroded connector.
There is normally a relay in the starting circuit as well - the wiring connectors on that can be corroded
Does it crank over?
Does not crank over, sounds like battery is low or dead but I get 12.5V and the relay makes the usual buzzing noise as if when your battery is low.
06' YZFR-1
06' GSXR-600 R.I.P.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:53 am

Either I cant see the pic on this computer or you didnt post a pic. Either way if your saying that he said the relay might be bad .... then try this. I know in cars (which might be way different than bikes) there are several relays that are the same part number used for several things. Look at your other relays ... blinkers and such and see if there is another one with the same part number ... swap them out and see if the starter works then. Also when you pull the relay if it works sometimes then check to see if the connectors are corroded in the housing or on the relay. The one thing I dont like about this idea the mechanic had is I thought you said it died.... if that is the case then the starter not getting power would have nothing to do with it dieing only not starting..... really if it died while running then it would have to be a grounded wire or charging problem of some sort as the bike should run even if you take the positive cable off the batter while the bike is running..... but I could be wrong.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

GRex

Post by GRex » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:03 am

When it makes the buzzing noise, and the battery is not low, then it is almost always a wiring problem.

I always check for a good gound first. Then pull all the connectors in the start circuit apart (one at a time), look closely at them looking for corrosion or frayed wires at the connector. Put dielectric grease on the connector and put it back together. Try the starter, then go to the next one. Don't forget to pull the relay and check/grease it too.
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2010 White/Silver 14RR T-Rex
2005 Pearl White T-Rex (Sold)
IBA# 41997
Image Image

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Post by DemonDuck » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:08 am

:icon_whs0be: I need to open that file with the noise when I get home to hear that. It sounds like alot but it really isnt that bad just go slow and take your time or else you will miss the problem trying to rush it and take even longer.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck

2000 SV650 Track bike
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

armedandinsain
Achievement count: 26

Post by armedandinsain » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 pm

u can alway try jumping the relay with somthing when the bike is on and see if it starts (had to do this with my bike for a few weeks before i found the bad ground)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling at the top of your lungs "Holy Shit...What a ride!"

mattjmartin

Post by mattjmartin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:43 pm

If one side of the relay is hot and the other isn't (while holding the start button), the problem lies at the relay, assuming you have checked for proper grounding. Check all connections at the relay for possible issues. If they all seem good, replace the relay.
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."