Trackday checklist

Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
El Diabro
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 18

Trackday checklist

Post by El Diabro » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:19 am

Okay gang....so for those who've done the track days numerous times, what should I expect, and also what should I have to be prepared?

I can imagine plenty of water, and or something to replenish calories i.e. protein shakes? Anyone have an idea of what color painters tape I should use so it shows up in contrast in pics and what not? I read that somewhere in the forum a while ago. Any advice and/or heads up would be appreciated.

Oh, and mods if this needs to be moved to a different forum, please feel free to do so
Who all seen the Leprechaun say YEAH!!!!

'06 Busa *aka The Big Girl*
'05 GSXR 750 *aka Baby Gixxer*

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Re: Trackday checklist

Post by sckego » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:45 am

They have coolers full of water there for the taking. I tend to bring along a few bottles of gatorade, some fruit, and some crackers or other snacks. Just something to much on throughout the day to keep your energy levels up. They do serve lunch (wonder burgers and ha dogs), so you don't need to worry about bringing a large meal.

You want standard blue painters tape, available at any hardware store. I have a few rolls of it that you can use, so don't worry too much about running out to get some.

A small set of tools is always a good idea, but again, I'll probably have a full set there. If there are any specific tools that your bike takes for certain things, yeah, bring those. And find out where your fuse box is so you can pull fuses.

Start drinking lots of water the night before. You want to be fully hydrated by the morning of, and stay that way throughout the day. If you've got any underarmor sweat-wicking stuff, wear that; it's much more comfortable then a t-shirt and makes getting in and out of the leathers alot easier.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:09 am

Thanks Sckego!!!!! I do have several different types of under armour and nike dri-fit short and long sleeves so I'll be ready!!!

Meat of Snail
Achievement count: 0

Post by Meat of Snail » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:44 am

As for contrast of colors for photos. Blair's cameras are using an auto focus, and your bike already has enough color contrast as is, you should not have to worry about what color tape to use other than personal preference.

Food, I like to bring trail mix (nuts, raisins, and M&Ms) to munch on throughout the day.

Hydration, I like to bring extra water and Gatorade. Make sure you stay hydrated, if you are drinking enough fluids that you have to pee between every session then you are in good shape. If you don't have to pee at the end of every session, DRINK MORE LIQUID!!!

Tire pressure, Find a good tire pressure to run your bike at, ask the tire guy at the track when you get there (this is VERY IMPORTANT for a safe track day). If you don't have a good tire gauge, I am sure someone will let you borrow one.
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks MoS! I forgot about the tire pressure stuff! I'll make sure I ask when I'm getting the bike checked out. There is some serious excitement going on in my head right now as I anxiously await this weekend!!!

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:04 am

I am excited for ya Diabro.... Im sure you will have a blast this weekend.
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:25 am

Meat of Snail wrote:Food, I like to bring trail mix (nuts, raisins, and M&Ms) to drink and munch on throughout the day.
You can drink trail mix?
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Meat of Snail
Achievement count: 0

Post by Meat of Snail » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:38 am

Oh, and this goes for anyone that is attending their first track day...

Level 1 and 2 have classes, all day you will either be in class or on the track, not much time for anything else. The first few sessions will tend to feel quite overwhelming, you will usually feel as if you are being rushed to get to the starting grid. Just a word from the experienced, take your time getting to the starting grid, no need to rush there, you do not HAVE to start when everyone else does. This will give you time to slow your heart rate down, catch your breath, and really cut down on the distractions from anticipation. Going out on the track with a calmed/cleared head will help you from making mistakes that you might make when feeling rushed. Just remember, they are not rushing you to get out on the track, take your time putting your gear on, no worries if you start your session 5 min later than everyone else. You will find yourself having a session were you are able to concentrate more on learning and having fun.

And always make your first lap or first half lap slower, gives your tires time to come up to temp.

DarcShadow wrote:
Meat of Snail wrote:Food, I like to bring trail mix (nuts, raisins, and M&Ms) to drink and munch on throughout the day.
You can drink trail mix?
HAHAHAHA!!!! LOL, yes, I DRINK trail mix :SideSplittingLaughter:
yeah, I originally was posting up saying that I bring water and trail mix in the same sentance, then decided to split that up but forgot to take out the "drink" part... there, fixed it :SideSplittingLaughter:
Meat of Snail ==> AKA: Snail Meat
Bike: ZX-10R 2007 Special Edition
IBA# 41998

El Diabro

Post by El Diabro » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Awesome! I can't wait to get out there! Oh, and sckego, I found out that my fuse box is behind the left fairing close to where the clutch lever is

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:43 pm

Here is another question for ya'll...

Instructional form...it asks for Instructor preference. Who comes highly recommended?
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

sckego
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Novice
Achievement count: 49

Post by sckego » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:48 pm

The only L1 instructor I really remember is Guy. He's pretty good.
Kegan "Glowstick"
'12 MTS1200ST - '15 CB500F - AFM #895 - AMA #3283468 - IBA #41999

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Plus Dave moves the instructors around between Lvl 1 and Lvl 2. But I agree Guy is a good instructor, and a great guy to work with.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino