Post up RideSmart events and Trackday raffles here
shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

TWS video

Post by shilka99 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:17 am

Guys, I need some input on a training video I made for the Level 2 class in 2 weeks. You can see a sneek peak here:

What I'm hoping to get from the good folks here is some feedback on the potential benefit this video has to offer. For those of you who have ridden this track before - are there any important features of the track this video highlights? Or misses?
To those of us who havent ridden it, does this video give you a better idea of the ideal line? Does the height above the track give a better perspective or is it distracting?

Post up and let me know what ya'll think (did you see what I did there - I used a Texan'ism!)
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Re: TWS video

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:33 am

It's a neat vid and gives a different view of the track but I wouldn't use it to get an idea for lines. There's just not enough detail and the turns are too jumpy to feel out the lines. That being said, I really think RideSmart should focus less on lines for any given track and work more on teaching people how to read the turn and find the line on their own. Fine tunning peoples lines or pointing out track specific things like bumps, slick spots, etc. are great but like the old saying goes, "Give a man a fish he'll eat for the day, teach a man to fish he'll eat for life."
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:32 am

I tell everyone to go play Gran Turismo. Best way to learn how to figure out lines for real.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

WillK675
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:42 pm

Cool video, I wouldn't use it to learn the lines, but definatly worth the watch to learn the track layout.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

mattjmartin
Achievement count: 0

Post by mattjmartin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Shaun, I think the video would be a great intro to the class when going over the track and for referencing landmarks and such, but it just lacks the detail necessary to exhibit lines. Maybe just use some of ridesmart's existing vids from youtube to point out some good lines. I've watched the video of ty many times and it helped me a lot before my first trip there.

Firewa11: Tourist trophy (gran turismo engine and tracks, but with bikes) for PS2 and the PS3 SBK game are both great. I love them. Playing those games really hits home the "smooth is fast" mantra for newer riders. I play all the time!
- Matt
- 2004 FZ6
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."