Textile or mesh jacket.

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 40

Textile or mesh jacket.

Post by DemonDuck » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:17 pm

I would like yall to tell me what a good textile or mesh jacket in the under $200 range would be. I am mainly looking for something that will be warm in the winter and cool in the summer and as many nice features as possible. Black and red would be great but it dont have to be. What do yall think?
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Re: Textile or mesh jacket.

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:52 am

I've found some good stuff at both CycleGear and MotoLiberty. The first one I had was a Fieldsheer and I absolutely loved that jacket. Zipper wore out and I ended up getting my current mesh jacket, which I think is a tourmaster, and I loathe it. Going to be looking soon, weight loss is a good thing, but damn, all my gear is quickly becoming too big on me!!!
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:31 am

Well if you want better protection go with the textile, but i rode in one in the summer for awhile and burned up!!! When i got my mesh it was the best thing in the world! I really suggest you go with the mesh(you can always add more layers and most have a rain liner). And you can find both for under a $100.
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles

DarcShadow
Club Staff/Web Master
Club Staff/Web Master
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 45

Post by DarcShadow » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:15 am

Light color, perforated leathers is the only way to go. :) Only time I ever fell hot in mine is when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic and in texas 110 heat, doesn't matter what you're wearing you're going to be hot. Now the perf doesn't do jack in the cold but most jackets come with, a liner can be bought that will cut the wind and keep you warm in the cooler weather.
I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.
Attack Life! It's gonna kill you anyway.

http://www.facebook.com/DSDecals

Rhino
Achievement count: 35

Post by Rhino » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:33 am

Speaking from experience, use caution buying cheap jackets. Poor fit and cheap zippers turned into a big ol' rashed spot on my arm.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:44 am

DarcShadow wrote:Light color, perforated leathers is the only way to go. :) Only time I ever fell hot in mine is when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic and in texas 110 heat, doesn't matter what you're wearing you're going to be hot. Now the perf doesn't do jack in the cold but most jackets come with, a liner can be bought that will cut the wind and keep you warm in the cooler weather.
Perforated leathers wouldn't help me much, it'd be like wearing a sweat box in the summer. My track suit is perforated and I would always loose like 5 pounds in water even though I'd be drinking a couple gallons worth of water.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:52 am

It gets above 75 and I start sweating.

My wife went down clocking 55 - 60 in a cortech jacket, it was mesh, it did its job during a rag doll down the pavement.
K1600

DemonDuck
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Achievement count: 40

Post by DemonDuck » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:54 am

Weight loss is part of my problem. I am dropping sizes and even the leather jacket I got a couple of months ago is starting to fit big. Does anyone have any suggestion on specific jackets?
~Jeremiah~ AKA DemonDuck
Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.

2012 BMW S1000RR Red/White
2000 SV650 Track bike
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14 - Sold
1982 Honda CB750K - Sold

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Just to throw in my 2cts...

I have had my ICON Timax2 since 05 or 06. I think I paid 220 for it brand new on ebay and still wear it today. It is the Mesh one because I too had heard that textile is better for further north. I have liked everything of theirs that I have bought and if they had full leathers (1 or 2 piece tracksuits) I would probably be wearing them instead of what I have now. Their quality has been excellent for me to this day.

Now mind you, some folks give me chit cause I wear "stunter" gear but I feel that is more a label by ignorant society. Gear is gear and I am going to wear what I like that fits and does its job!
:D
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

Striple
Riding Style: Licensed Racer - Expert
Achievement count: 42

Post by Striple » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:11 pm

I have multiple jackets, including perforated leather, textile, and mesh. In July/August, nothing beats a mesh jacket (and even then things can get pretty toasty). In cooler weather, I prefer textile jackets with liner. When things get really frosty, I bundle up with thermal underwear and multiple layers underneath the jacket. I like my perforated leather jacket for Spring and Fall.

As far as brands are concerned, I've tried Cortech, AVG Sport, Alpinestars, Speed and Strength, Fieldsheer, and Scorpion. All of the jackets have performed well, and at least one (Scorpion) was crash-tested at ~55mph. Most of the common brands make good products, just check the reviews whenever selecting a particular model. I routinely check BikeBandit and Motorcycle Superstore for sales, and good deals pop up pretty frequently.
Grinner wrote:Now mind you, some folks give me chit cause I wear "stunter" gear but I feel that is more a label by ignorant society. :D
:-) :-)
Current: 10 Triumph Street Triple | 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 07 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Race) | 05 Suzuki DR650 SE | 04 Yamaha TT-R 125LE
Previous: 08 Honda CBR1000RR LE | 07 Suzuki SV650S #1 | 07 Suzuki SV650S #2 | 05 Triumph Speed Triple | 03 Honda CRF 450R

WillK675
Achievement count: 35

Post by WillK675 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:51 pm

I've got a mesh jacket with a outer rain/wind liner; a textile with an inner jacket liner for colder weather, and a perfed leather with an inner winter liner. My mesh with the outer liner is pretty good at blocking wind, and is great for the days that are in the 70s, but cooler in the morning/evening. The leather is also good for those days, but if you need the inner liner in the morn/eve you need someplace to put it. The mesh jacket has a pocket built in to hold the liner. On colder days, the textile is the way to go, and the colder it gets, put the liner in, and layer up accordingly.
-Will
'07 Daytona 675
'09 Versys 650
'14 CB500
'20 MB200
When it comes to addiction Motorcycles are worse than crack.
"Brake fade is God's way of telling you to quit squeezing the coward lever and carry more corner speed, you pussy." - Rhino

NickS
Achievement count: 0

Post by NickS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:56 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that Nylon is up to 14x stronger than Polyester in terms of tensile strength. Lot's of brands have some tough sounding name for their fabric, like 'Tuff-Tex' or somesuch, these are cheaper polyester alternatives to nylon. Granted, they are much better than nothing. Still, nothing beats actual honest to goodness CORDURA NYLON. Olympia is one brand I can think of off hand that uses Cordura.
'08 Kawasaki Concours 14
'10 Kawasaki Z1000

Lewi1913

Post by Lewi1913 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:41 pm

I always wear leather, even in 95-100 degree weather. I see sweating as a part of the deal to be safe. If its too hot to wear your leather, its too hot to ride.
2009 CBR600rr Green/Black
OES Frame Sliders
Vortex Spools
Micron Ultralight Slip On
Puig Double Bubble
Proton Turn Signals
Tripage IT & FE
Shorty Green Levers

armedandinsain
Achievement count: 26

Post by armedandinsain » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Lewi1913 wrote:I always wear leather, even in 95-100 degree weather. I see sweating as a part of the deal to be safe. If its too hot to wear your leather, its too hot to ride.
im starting to like this guy
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling at the top of your lungs "Holy Shit...What a ride!"

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Post by Telomere » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Lewi1913 wrote:I always wear leather, even in 95-100 degree weather. I see sweating as a part of the deal to be safe. If its too hot to wear your leather, its too hot to ride.
Wait until you live through a Texas summer. It was ungodly hot this summer. BUT I always gear up...never squid it. I would rather be stinky and sweaty, than skinless or dead :D

fixxervi6
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Achievement count: 36

Post by fixxervi6 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:44 pm

You may change your mind when you check out our summers, I remember not that long ago when the temp dropped to 95 I was like YES its finally cool enough to enjoy a ride.

On my commute I was seeing temperatures of 117, even with mesh and an evap vest there were times when I was getting dangerously hot to the point of almost passing out, not to mention the dehydration issues even if you decided to "tough it out".

Armored mesh with evap when its hot, leather any other time that I can stand it :idea:
K1600

Lewi1913

Post by Lewi1913 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Telomere wrote:
Wait until you live through a Texas summer. It was ungodly hot this summer. BUT I always gear up...never squid it. I would rather be stinky and sweaty, than skinless or dead :D
Trust me, I know HOT coming from DC. Plenty of summer days I have ridden here 95 degrees with 95% humidity. Instant sweat.

I have been down once on my bike, but was lucky to crash into grass. I used to squid it sometimes before that, but never again.
2009 CBR600rr Green/Black
OES Frame Sliders
Vortex Spools
Micron Ultralight Slip On
Puig Double Bubble
Proton Turn Signals
Tripage IT & FE
Shorty Green Levers

Fender943
Achievement count: 14

Post by Fender943 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:22 am

But if you wear leather during a Texas summer you're going to overheat.
That will affect your ability to make quick decisions when you need it the most.. And there's always the possibility of a heat stroke.
But if you can take the heat by all means wear your leather, I'll stick with my mesh during the summer
-Ryan
-1986 Ninja 1000r
-2004 Ninja 500r

Bailout

Post by Bailout » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:35 am

Grinner wrote:Just to throw in my 2cts...

I have had my ICON Timax2 since 05 or 06. I think I paid 220 for it brand new on ebay and still wear it today. It is the Mesh one because I too had heard that textile is better for further north. I have liked everything of theirs that I have bought and if they had full leathers (1 or 2 piece tracksuits) I would probably be wearing them instead of what I have now. Their quality has been excellent for me to this day.

Now mind you, some folks give me chit cause I wear "stunter" gear but I feel that is more a label by ignorant society. Gear is gear and I am going to wear what I like that fits and does its job!

Icon is the way to go, back when I wore gear I loved the fit durability/flexibility of them. The daytona collar is the lowest I tried and never got in the way.
When the buildings look like buildings..........Get something in the WIND ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!
2004 V-Rod 1250
2010 48" Gravity Longboard
1999 Old Man corvette Convertible

mahart
Achievement count: 8

Post by mahart » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:44 am

NickS wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that Nylon is up to 14x stronger than Polyester in terms of tensile strength. Lot's of brands have some tough sounding name for their fabric, like 'Tuff-Tex' or somesuch, these are cheaper polyester alternatives to nylon. Granted, they are much better than nothing. Still, nothing beats actual honest to goodness CORDURA NYLON. Olympia is one brand I can think of off hand that uses Cordura.
+1 for Olympia
Revved up like a douche.

Grinner
Achievement count: 25

Post by Grinner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Bailout wrote:Icon is the way to go, back when I wore gear I loved the fit durability/flexibility of them. The daytona collar is the lowest I tried and never got in the way.
I just wish theyd hurry up and start makin track gear!!!!
Copper K3SV650S & K3SV1000S
Enjoy your Life...Don't Die Young Feeling Old When You Can Die Old Feeling Young!!
"Grinner is carrying the Black man-card, aka he has aquired enough man points his card is upgraded to the top teir." - fixxervi6

EasyMoney

Post by EasyMoney » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:00 pm

I have found a brand called Freez-Out that works good under a mesh jacket in the winter time. The zip up jacket is around $40 but worth it. Currently use the face mask, jacket and glove's. Has worked very well for me.. Gloves would give a 6 or 7 out of 10..