For off-road: knee pads or knee braces?

Rhino
Riding Style: Intermediate Track Rider
Achievement count: 35

For off-road: knee pads or knee braces?

Post by Rhino » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Like the subject says, knee pads or knee braces for off-road riding? Not doing motocross or anything, just trail riding and Texas dual-sport (i.e. gravel roads). The pads are like $80, the braces are like $350. Which would you buy?

Telomere
Club Member
Club Member
Achievement count: 22

Re: For off-road: knee pads or knee braces?

Post by Telomere » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:26 pm

We didn't get Court either. She just has her helmet, gloves, goggle, back and chest protector. I honestly can not remember if anyone was wearing knee pads or braces last weekend when we went to Trophy Club to check out the park but they all were wearing everything Court has (except for one person that was just wearing the helmet).

I have never off-roaded purposely before so I can not say which is better or which I would buy. When I was looking at gear for Court (online), I was thinking about getting her the elbow and knee guards.

I found this site...hope it might help you in your decision.
http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News ... -3592.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:40 pm

I've broken both my knees riding without guards so now i never ride without them. I tried some EVS rigid braces but they were so uncomfortable I couldnt stand wearing them for more than a few minutes at a time. I exchanged them for knee guards but they just seemed too flimsy. Then I found a set of braces that were not as rigid as the first ones I tried (and half the price) and they were perfect - I still have them. In fact, I saw an updated pair at Cycle Gear last year and bought them in preparation for the old ones wearing out. They're less rigid braces that can flex enough to be comfy but wont let the knee twist or over-extend and they also protect against impacts.
Heres a similar set -
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/2011- ... NEE-BRACES

Braces are highly recommended, but make sure you try them on with your own boots before you buy. There's nothing worse than getting them home to find that they interfere with the tops of your boots. They are a lot more expensive but you'll have them for a long time. And if they save you from an injury even once they've paid for themselves many times over. I think of them the same way as a helmet - I spend as much as I can afford.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks for the tips Shaun.

These are the ones the guy at Cycle Gear showed me, what's your opinion?

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/EVS-RS8-KNEE-BRACES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shilka99
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member
Riding Style: Track Instructor
Achievement count: 42

Post by shilka99 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:38 pm

They look like they would do the job well. Have you tried them on with your boots? I have large calves so i always have trouble with the straps in that area being too short. Make sure you can kneel on the floor with braces and boots on with nothing pinching or digging into you. no point having protective gear that's too uncomfortable to wear.
Shaun in McKinney
RGV250|520SX/SMR|RSV4 Factory

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:03 pm

My boots won't be here until next week.

I've done some more research and EVS has a new product coming out called the Axis. It's expensive but looks awesome. Their Web knee braces seem popular and the Axis is the evolution of those. I might just get some pads and wait for the Axis to be available.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:52 am

Yeah, I wouldn't ride again without some knee pads at least. Heh, I went out in my street race boots, jeans, long sleeve shirt, helmet and gloves. First time I went down and nailed my hip and knee on some rocks I was wishing I had something more.

Just keep this in mind... on a dirt bike, you're going to fall down. Especially when trying to transition from sportbike mentality to dirt bike mentality. At least, it was harder for me to adapt anyways. Lots of fun though.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 am

Oh, I know I'm going to fall down. A lot. That's why I'm gearing up as well as I can.

Without buying knee braces, I've already spent about as much on dirt gear as I did on track gear. :(

On the upside, I'm going to be *super* armored. I won't have the abrasion protection of my track suit, but I'll have *way* more impact protection.

Firewa11
Achievement count: 49

Post by Firewa11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:05 am

Just don't do like my buddy Joe did and go wrap your face and knee around a tree, breaking your jaw and femur. No amount of impact protection helped him in that crash. heh.
"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."
ImageImageImage

milesmiles
Ride Leader
Ride Leader
Riding Style: Advanced Track Rider
Achievement count: 27

Post by milesmiles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:09 am

or let the front end slip out from under you under hard breaking like i did...or is that what happend, hard to remember :HeadScratch: either way it sucked :)
The world needs Miles
Sometimes you gotta draw the line, but that doesn't mean it can't be squiggly-miles
"it's not a stupid dirt bike, it's a supermoto!"-miles